What Sex?

ThePetersTrio

;)

But seriously, a couple of weeks ago I was referred to as a him, when I am definitely a her.

I just saw that another forum regular was discovered to be a her, when all along I thought she was a he.

On another forum I regularly participate on, there is a little icon under the avatar of each poster that indicates whether they are male or female. A member also has the option to leave this fact blank if they wish that to remain unknown.

Now I could be wrong, but so far I haven't found any forum profiles that indicate whether or not the poster is a man or a woman (unless their profile name makes it obvious). Maybe I'm missing something here - wouldn't be the first time....

But I would like to have posters have the option to indicate what sex they are (if they so desire) on the message board.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to do a search but "sex" wouldn't work in the search engine. Probably a good thing now that I think about it. :)

But seriously, a couple of weeks ago I was referred to as a him, when I am definitely a her.

I never thought of you as either. I think of you instead as a "they."

Isn't 'Trio' plural?

Yes - good to point out. And therein lies some of the issue, I think.

I cache with my husband and daughter when they are willing to go out with me. But I am the only member of my trio that posts on this board.

Isn't 'Trio' plural?

I cache with my husband and daughter when they are willing to go out with me. But I am the only member of my trio that posts on this board.

Since folks never really know WHO of a group name is posting, my advice, learned from years of posting on boards is to try to always signify which of you is the writer of the post.

-Jen (see!)

I too cache often with my family but am the only one that posts here.

I've several times been reffered to as "her" or "she". However, I've always seen it as an inocent mistake and of little significance.

I am a 43 year old male. StarBrand is was a short lived Marvel Comic book line.

;)

I just saw that another forum regular was discovered to be a her, when all along I thought she was a he.

On another forum I regularly participate on, there is a little icon under the avatar of each poster that indicates whether they are male or female. A member also has the option to leave this fact blank if they wish that to remain unknown.

Now I could be wrong, but so far I haven't found any forum profiles that indicate whether or not the poster is a man or a woman (unless their profile name makes it obvious). Maybe I'm missing something here - wouldn't be the first time....

But I would like to have posters have the option to indicate what sex they are (if they so desire) on the message board.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to do a search but "sex" wouldn't work in the search engine. Probably a good thing now that I think about it. :)

I hang out at military/firearms forums a lot were most are men. But here? Guess I don't give it much thought. Maybe I should? :)
Since folks never really know WHO of a group name is posting, my advice, learned from years of posting on boards is to try to always signify which of you is the writer of the post.

-Jen (see!)

Well, that may work for some but my first name is somewhat unusual and doesn't easily denote my gender. Also, because of it's uniqueness, I prefer not to post it openly on the board.

I am trying to role-model internet safety to my youngest one afterall. ;)

-Jen (see!)

Well, that may work for some but my first name is somewhat unusual and doesn't easily denote my gender. Also, because of it's uniqueness, I prefer not to post it openly on the board.

I am trying to role-model internet safety to my youngest one afterall. ;)

In that case, make up a female sounding name and post using that name. :)

Or be understanding that that personal pronouns will always be a little interesting when folks refer to your posts. :)

-J

In that case, make up a female sounding name and post using that name. ;)

Or be understanding that that personal pronouns will always be a little interesting when folks refer to your posts. :)

-J

Yeah, I do understand that people are bound to get it wrong. I guess the issue cropped up again when one of MY assumptions proved to be wrong (about another poster)! LoL...

I like the idea of making up a new first name though...I'll have to think about that one. :)

Male.

With that avatar!? :);)

Mrs. B - you have the obvious solution there, to be sure! It's just that when I am called Mrs. Peters, I always look around for my husband's mother!

And to be very honest, I'd love to know what the male/female ratio of posters are to this board. I bet quite a few of us would be surprised...

Isn't 'Trio' plural?

My reason for posting was partly out of silliness, but partly to make a serious point.

Think how many cacher accounts have "Team" or "&" in their name. There is a high percentage of shared and team accounts. I would bet that most of these shared accounts are shared by a mix of genders.

In order for your suggestion to be useful to those cachers they would need a way to toggle the three-way "He/She/Noneofyourbusiness" flag for each forum post, and in such a way that the selection would permanently apply to each individual post by that account ... which is something that does not currently happen.

In other words: As it currently stands, if I enter "I’m a he" into the signature line of my posts, but then my wife later posts under my account after having changed the signature to read "I’m a she," her change will apply not only to her post, but also to every post I have ever made. And then when I change it back later I will have given her a sex change – at least as far as readers are concerned. In order for your suggestion to be useable for team accounts, the forum software will have to be modified to allow for that.

I too have a unique name and wish to not post it on the internet. I usually go by other names online, even in my emails. Not only to protect my unique name but also from ones that like to steal identities. So I can understand those aspects.

I don't think anyone would confuse my (real) name into thinking it is masculine though.

But my avatar is female, so I hope people know that I am female.

Though my username is masculine.

mud4x4 is a posse of 3 - me, my boyfriend and my daughter...though I am the only one that posts on the forum (so far).

... I have to admit that I tend to assume most posters to be male unless their account name or avatar is obviously feminine.

*whispers* For ages I thought Sionova was a male! ;)

MrsB

Sionova isn't a male???? :)

While we are a couple I (Mrs usyoopers) am the only one that posts.

I too have a unique name and wish to not post it on the internet. I usually go by other names online, even in my emails. Not only to protect my unique name but also from ones that like to steal identities. So I can understand those aspects.

I don't think anyone would confuse my (real) name into thinking it is masculine though.

But my avatar is female, so I hope people know that I am female.

Though my username is masculine.

mud4x4 is a posse of 3 - me, my boyfriend and my daughter...though I am the only one that posts on the forum (so far).

We understand, Fifi Trixibelle.

:)

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to do a search but "sex" wouldn't work in the search engine. Probably a good thing now that I think about it. :P

I sure hope you weren't referring to me with the sudden realization. I mean, I have known all along what gender I am.

I thought Sioneva was a male also, just for the record. I found out a few months ago that I was incorrect.

As for you, I thought you were posting as a male because the name "Peter" in the trio but I had always thought of you as genderless, mostly because I knew you were married.

I tend to think of married people as genderless, not in disrespect but more because, if one is unavailable, their gender isn't all that important (being a believer in equality and all).

I tend to think of married people as genderless, not in disrespect but more because, if one is unavailable, their gender isn't all that important (being a believer in equality and all).

Well obviously it is your choice to think of people however you wish. But for the record, I do NOT want to be thought of as "genderless". To quote Dorothy Michaels (Dustin Hoffman) in Tootsie, "I am very proud of being a woman." Being married doesn't change that in any way and having a baby pretty much confirms it in a very big way.

So, out of curiosity, are you married?

Well obviously it is your choice to think of people however you wish. But for the record, I do NOT want to be thought of as "genderless". To quote Dorothy Michaels (Dustin Hoffman) in Tootsie, "I am very proud of being a woman." Being married doesn't change that in any way and having a baby pretty much confirms it in a very big way.

Are you requesting this feature as a means to prevent what you see as personally offensive posts?

Or are you requesting this feature merely as a solution to eliminate the awkwardness that comes with pronoun confusion?

I had assumed it was the latter, but your post tells me there might be more to this.

Either way I support your proposal. I’m just curious.

Are you requesting this feature as a means to prevent what you see as personally offensive posts?

Or are you requesting this feature merely as a solution to eliminate the awkwardness that comes with pronoun confusion?

I had assumed it was the latter, but your post tells me there might be more to this.

Either way I support your proposal. I’m just curious.

The latter. I guess I'm not sure why you would think I am "personally offended" now. I'm not. Not everything in life is filled with angst here. I'd just like to know the gender of the people I am talking to somtimes. And I wouldn't mind it if people had a clue that I am female when I write without me having to advertise it with each post by having to clairify it.

Like I said before, on another board I post to underneath the avatar there is the male or female symbol and people can opt out if they want to be neutral. I think it works very well. And I posted the topic here so that TPTB would/could consider it and we could all discuss it in the meantime.

The latter. I guess I'm not sure why you would think I am "personally offended" now. I'm not. Not everything in life is filled with angst here.

That’s why I asked. I had initially assumed the latter, but something about the wording of your post made me question that assumption. Thanks for clarifying.

Good luck with your proposal. It is a good idea.

And in the meantime: if it’s really important to you, you might want to consider solving the confusion by doing what many others have done: select an avatar which says unambiguously that you are female. You said you are the only one from your account who posts in the forums; seems like a natural solution. If anyone else from your team wishes to post onder the new avatar, they could always sign it as "Mr. Peters of ThePetersTrio" or similar.

Any reason why that wouldn't provide the functionality you want?

The latter. I guess I'm not sure why you would think I am "personally offended" now. I'm not. Not everything in life is filled with angst here.

That’s why I asked. I had initially assumed the latter, but something about the wording of your post made me question that assumption. Thanks for clarifying.

Good luck with your proposal. It is a good idea.

And in the meantime: if it’s really important to you, you might want to consider solving the confusion by doing what many others have done: select an avatar which says unambiguously that you are female. You said you are the only one from your account who posts in the forums; seems like a natural solution. If anyone else from your team wishes to post onder the new avatar, they could always sign it as "Mr. Peters of ThePetersTrio" or similar.

Any reason why that wouldn't provide the functionality you want?

I have considered that, yes. However, as I am proud to have designed my own personal coin, I prefer to have that as my avatar. I may opt to revisit that if it is decided by TPTB that they will not implement my idea.

So, out of curiosity, are you married?

Ah, yes, I understand. I meant genderless as far as in the personality department. For me to objectify a person (defined by their personality) with a gender would be to assume certain stereotypes. In the physical sense, I very much consciously define gender whether the person is married or not.

Me? Married? You gotta be kidding.

Heh, actually I was married, and have turned down a marriage proposal since my divorce. Why do you ask? Do you know someone who I might be interested in? ~LOL~

Ah, yes, I understand. I meant genderless as far as in the personality department. For me to objectify a person (defined by their personality) with a gender would be to assume certain stereotypes. In the physical sense, I very much consciously define gender whether the person is married or not.

Heh, actually I was married, and have turned down a marriage proposal since my divorce. Why do you ask? Do you know someone who I might be interested in? ~LOL~

Well...having never met you (maybe tomorrow at the GEOregon X-mas Event?) I wouldn't know who you would be interested in but I can do what I can to help... :)

My reason for asking was because I thought you were going somewhere else with the "genderless" notion. Now that you've clarified, it makes more sense to me.

I know some people who (once they get married) are all about "we the couple" almost to the detriment of who they are as individuals within the marriage. I love my husband and we've been married nearly 20 years now but I'm certain we would both agree with the notion that while togetherness is a wonderful thing, spending some time doing our own thing is actually a necessity in our relationship. The notion of being viewed as "genderless" or as one entity rather than 2 unique individuals was what I was responding to. Sometimes I find that people who have never been married have some interesting ideas about what it means to be in a marriage. I certainly did before I got married and before reality set in. So that is why I asked.

And in all honesty I hadn't had my coffee yet when I replied so I obviously misunderstood where you were headed. My apologies. :P

Well...having never met you (maybe tomorrow at the GEOregon X-mas Event?) I wouldn't know who you would be interested in but I can do what I can to help... :P

My reason for asking was because I thought you were going somewhere else with the "genderless" notion. Now that you've clarified, it makes more sense to me.

I know some people who (once they get married) are all about "we the couple" almost to the detriment of who they are as individuals within the marriage. I love my husband and we've been married nearly 20 years now but I'm certain we would both agree with the notion that while togetherness is a wonderful thing, spending some time doing our own thing is actually a necessity in our relationship. The notion of being viewed as "genderless" or as one entity rather than 2 unique individuals was what I was responding to. Sometimes I find that people who have never been married have some interesting ideas about what it means to be in a marriage. I certainly did before I got married and before reality set in. So that is why I asked.

And in all honesty I hadn't had my coffee yet when I replied so I obviously misunderstood where you were headed. My apologies. :laughing:

No need to apologize.

I can, in all honesty, say that my spouse and I were never bonded so tightly that we were no longer individuals. :)

I learned to accept individuals as individuals, whether or not they were coupled up. Unfortunately there is no "one size fits all" way of dealing with the human race.

The proper avatar is always important.

Does that mean we can pin you down to one in the future? :):laughing:

:P

:laughing:

I hope not. I used to change my username all the time too until they locked that down. (This is what I was stuck with)

(Now that I think about it, do you think my antics had anything to do with the lock down?

...Nah.)

Heh, actually I was married, and have turned down a marriage proposal since my divorce.
So, what did he say when you turned him down? :)

Who said it was a he?

Same sex marriage was legal in Oregon for a while.

:P

Nice dodge! So, how're you doing there, Pat? :laughing:

Just fin, and you, Chris?

Political Correctness Overload! :)

Your gender is (usually) not particularly important to me when I evaluate the content of your post(s).

Is there some reason I should be treating female posters differently than male posters? :P

From what I can figure, I haven't been, so far, at least. Treated her just like any other guy. You'd think that she'd appreciate that more, though. :laughing: