60CSx update to v4.00 = bad?

nathantw

I've been away for quite some time and haven't really been keeping up with the goings-on in the world of GPS's. My 60CSx has been working fine all these years with firmware 3.70 installed, except for the times when I'd try to shut the unit off and it would just beep and I'd need to take the GPS off the mount and remove the batteries to stop it. Plus I'd find that fresh batteries would be dead the next time I tried to turn it on even though the unit was off and plugged into a power source.

Anyway, I went to the Garmin site and saw firmware 4.00 and decided to install it. Thinking that it's been a while since it came out that all the bugs, if any, would have been addressed already. However, looking at the messages in this forum I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have updated my GPS because of the reports of people getting close to geocaches and suddenly their units will say they're 75 feet away or something strange like that. Did I make a mistake by updating my unit?

I've been away for quite some time and haven't really been keeping up with the goings-on in the world of GPS's. My 60CSx has been working fine all these years with firmware 3.70 installed, except for the times when I'd try to shut the unit off and it would just beep and I'd need to take the GPS off the mount and remove the batteries to stop it. Plus I'd find that fresh batteries would be dead the next time I tried to turn it on even though the unit was off and plugged into a power source.

Anyway, I went to the Garmin site and saw firmware 4.00 and decided to install it. Thinking that it's been a while since it came out that all the bugs, if any, would have been addressed already. However, looking at the messages in this forum I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have updated my GPS because of the reports of people getting close to geocaches and suddenly their units will say they're 75 feet away or something strange like that. Did I make a mistake by updating my unit?

Since nobody seems to have any thoughts or ideas to share I thought I'd give you my findings. I made a waypoint to my car and returned to it at the end of the day. The GPS said it was 20 feet and east of where my waypoint was set. I checked the accuracy and it said it was 25 feet, so I figured it was that particular error that caused the discrepancy.

I noticed that the GPS takes a little bit more time to find satellites when starting cold and it does take a few seconds longer to calculate a new route, though nothing to really complain about.

So overall, the "new" update wasn't too bad.

Since nobody seems to have any thoughts or ideas to share I thought I'd give you my findings. I made a waypoint to my car and returned to it at the end of the day. The GPS said it was 20 feet and east of where my waypoint was set. I checked the accuracy and it said it was 25 feet, so I figured it was that particular error that caused the discrepancy.

I noticed that the GPS takes a little bit more time to find satellites when starting cold and it does take a few seconds longer to calculate a new route, though nothing to really complain about.

So overall, the "new" update wasn't too bad.

Some thoughts is here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=234504

I received a GPSMap 60CSx for Christmas this year. I did the upgrade out of habit since I have on my GPSMap 76 (2001 purchase) and the Nuvi 205w I got last year. I went caching today and noticed a bug that was very annoying. If I left the receiver on the map page for an unknown period of time, the map would not update as I moved around. I would have a cache on the display move around and nothing on the screen except the data fields changed. It had 3.70 on it and I now have 4.0 on it. I do not know if the upgrade caused the problem or not. I started a support request today but I do not expect a reply until the middle of next week. I did not see that behavior earlier in the week when I was caching in Oklahoma earlier this week. I am curious to see if anyone else has seen it happen too.

Guy

I think I figured out my issue. I turned off the "Lock On Road" option before I went caching today and did not have a single problem. As a matter of fact I located a cache that had two DNFs before we got it. The more I use my 60CSx the more I like it. It was a big change to go from my GPSMap 76.

I think I figured out my issue. I turned off the "Lock On Road" option before I went caching today and did not have a single problem. As a matter of fact I located a cache that had two DNFs before we got it. The more I use my 60CSx the more I like it. It was a big change to go from my GPSMap 76.

An other "mistery" of ver. 4.0 solved ! :anibad: