Got my First FTF

Got my first FTF tonight... man what a rush =) and a micro in the dark lol... just had to brag =) ;)

Congratulations....... :):( I remember my first FTF I got up at at 4 am and made a 38 mile drive to get it, and what a feeling to make the find and then see that Blank log sheet. Nothing better well almost nothing better. :)

ScubaSonic

Got my first FTF tonight... man what a rush =) and a micro in the dark lol... just had to brag =) ;)

Congratulations....... :):( I remember my first FTF I got up at at 4 am and made a 38 mile drive to get it, and what a feeling to make the find and then see that Blank log sheet. Nothing better well almost nothing better. :)

ScubaSonic

I remember my first FTF. A puzzle cache came out in the morning. I spent some time on it before work, got hooked on it, and eventually solved the puzzle a bit before noon. The coordinates showed that the cache was on a small island on our local lake. After work, I went home and put my kayak on my car, called my wife to let her know I would be home late, then drove the 35 miles to a spot where I could launch my kayak. I paddled the 1/2 mile or so to the island, found the cache after a 15 minute search, then paddled back and drove home to log my find. It wasn't found again for a month and a half.

I got my last FTF on 09/09/09 when several local cachers placed 9 different caches in the area to be found prior to a 09/09/09 event. I took the day off of work and went out early to find them. After my third FTF in a row I started to feel guilty about getting all the available FTFs so I took a break for breakfast. The first cache I found after breakfast has someone else log the FTF. The cache that I placed for the day was found at 9:09AM.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Oh big deal! You rushed around like some friendless loon in the dark to find some tiny thing that nobody cares about just so you could sign your name on a scrap of paper before anyone could? I'm SOOOOOO proud and impressed.

At least, that's pretty much what my daughter said to me while I was dancing around the room after I came home from getting my first FTF.

I, on the other hand, being fairly new to caching, congratulate and applaud you heartily!!!

Maybe after I've got a few I won't care, but I think FTFs are really, really fun (as long as they are not an obsession.)

Rob

Again, congrats!

Congrats. It really is exciting, especially the first one. I did the same on Sunday. The cache was published at exactly midnight on Saturday, and I am a church-goer so I could not go then, or first thing in the morning on Sunday.

I consulted with some fellow geocachers after the service and they thought for sure somebody would beat me to it, but I decided to try. As I drove up to the best spot to begin my trek through 600m of snow and grass covered deadfall and 1 foot deep ruts - there were a great deal of footsteps in the snow, so I was convinced I had missed it.

I was really happy and surprised to open the cache and find the certificate.

Ah, the rush of the FTF! Garnered my first 2 on my 2nd day of caching! Definitely put the hooks in me, and now I must confess I am one of the Hounds. Sometimes work gets in the way of chasing them, and recently missed out on a few because of vehicular problems. In the dark, in the rain, it's all good. I was fortunate to have a cacher give me a FTF coin - http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2060613 - which I dip into all the caches I am lucky enough to get to first. Is it an obsession? No more than geocaching in general... ;)

Ah, the rush of the FTF! Garnered my first 2 on my 2nd day of caching! Definitely put the hooks in me, and now I must confess I am one of the Hounds. Sometimes work gets in the way of chasing them, and recently missed out on a few because of vehicular problems. In the dark, in the rain, it's all good. I was fortunate to have a cacher give me a FTF coin - http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2060613 - which I dip into all the caches I am lucky enough to get to first. Is it an obsession? No more than geocaching in general... :)

Ayep hooked myself................... just got 3 FTFs yesterday and have been caching for about a year and a half and have over 430 FTFs the Hound dog obsession has bit me hard, and I can't shake it. I even have other cachers calling me now saying "Hey I put a cache out 3 days ago and no one has found it yet, you should go get it" so I do............where is that 12 step program. ;)

ScubaSonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I remember mine. I kept wondering how others were doing it. This was before I went paperless, gotten notifications or had auto routing. About a month after I started caching, I woke up early one weekend morning out of habit and couldn't get back to sleep. So I just checked out the "Newest in California" and noticed two new caches about 20 miles out. I thought about it and decided "what the heck". Got my dogs and headed out. The first one was on a dead end road, my first experience with post cap hide. Took me about 15 minutes to find. The second one was in a new housing development, which was a struggle finding my way around. The cache was easy to find but the dogs got loose and that took me awhile to find them. And yes it was a rush to find not only my first FTF but to find two of them and they were not even close to home.

The most recent one I found a couple of mornings ago. I hiked out in mud that sticks to your shoes and makes it difficult to walk. After I logged it in no one else has gone since which is rare even for nonFTFers.

Edited by jellis