Is this backpacking plan do-able?

Andronicus

I have been planning out a trip for next summer. It is just an overnighter.

1st day: 2100' climb, then a ridge walk that includes an additional 1000', Then, leave camp equipment for final push to summit, additional 1500'. Then back down to camp. Total distance: 8 miles

Total elevation gain: 4600'

Total elevation loss: 3000'

2nd day, head back, 1000' climb, then ridge walk including additional 500' .

Total distance 6.5 miles.

Total elevation gain: 1500'

Total elevation loss: 2700'

I have been planning out a trip for next summer. It is just an overnighter.

1st day: 2100' climb, then a ridge walk that includes an additional 1000', Then, leave camp equipment for final push to summit, additional 1500'. Then back down to camp. Total distance: 8 miles

Total elevation gain: 4600'

Total elevation loss: 3000'

2nd day, head back, 1000' climb, then ridge walk including additional 500' .

Total distance 6.5 miles.

Total elevation gain: 1500'

Total elevation loss: 2700'

How much hiking experience do you have?

it looks doable, but 4600' gain is a big workout in one day not to mention the return trek back to base camp. I would definitely plan on some similar excursion hikes before the big one to see what difficulties you might run into if your experience is low.

How much hiking experience do you have?

it looks doable, but 4600' gain is a big workout in one day not to mention the return trek back to base camp. I would definitely plan on some similar excursion hikes before the big one to see what difficulties you might run into if your experience is low.

This summer I did a day scramble with about 4000' of elevation without too much difficulty. That was with a day pack (very full, I over prepare) though. I am a fairly active guy (run in the morning, coach skiing in the winter). Maybe I should plan for later summer, and do a few more day scrambles first.

If you need to ask if that's doable, my suspicion is that you need more training/practice.

You should know your limits before you set out on the trip. You say you over-prepare, but gear is not the only preparation.

You say what the elevation gain/loss are, but you don't offer any other terrain details. Surface? Vegetation coverage? Trails? Undulation in the route? You need to start with easy trips and work your way up gradually so you stay within your physical limits.

What's your starting elevation? At which elevation do you run? Your acclimation makes a big difference. If you're acclimated to 2,000ft and your trip STARTS at 8,000ft, you're in for a world of hurt.

I just read your log at Brass Cap Cache - Strawberry Ridge, and you look like you can do this. I do recommend more elevation hikes for acclimation. Your body will thank you for when you carry the extra overnight weight.

You have discovered our obsession! Up here in Alberta (Canada) we all love our Brass Cap Cache (Grandfathered moving virtual). The Crowsnest Mountain cap that you are probably referring to was not easy, but it didn't really push my limits.

Anyway, I think you are correct. I will try to do a couple of mountain top caches before hitting this overnighter up. I am wanting to place a cache on top of this local mountain (Gibraltar Mountain). It is actually listed as a 12 to 15 hour moderate day scramble. I thought it would be more enjoyable breaking it up into two days. Of course, then you have to lug all your camping gear up most of the way.

you say what the elevation gain/loss are, but you don't offer any other terrain details. Surface? Vegetation coverage? Trails? Undulation in the route? You need to start with easy trips and work your way up gradually so you stay within your physical limits.

What's your starting elevation? At which elevation do you run? Your acclimation makes a big difference. If you're acclimated to 2,000ft and your trip STARTS at 8,000ft, you're in for a world of hurt.

Good points. I live at about 3400' and run at that elevation; the start of the trip is at 5300' The summit is as 8700'.

Definitely doable... 2 months ago did El Capitan and Half Dome from the valley floor on back to back days with some heavy beverage consumption the night between. That was about 9000-1000K elevation gain over about 38 miles. Then again... I did do Mount Washington from Pinkham twice in one month so I would definitely recommend a good regime of heavy weekend hiking prior to your attempt.

Good luck!

Your first day sounds very similar to the elevations common to hikes in the Central California coastal area. 3-4,000 vertical is very common, and we have two hikes that are 5,000 vertical with similar mileage to what you're planning.

As mentioned, Half Dome is in that ballpark as well, although twice the distance. A very common dayhike in Yosemite National Park. Another similar one at a much higher elevation is Mount Whitney from trailhead. That one is probably three times your distance and is a "Can-to-Can't-See" (i.e. dawn to dusk) hike for most people that try it in a day.

That balance between doing long day hikes vs. lugging the equipment in for overnighters is a fine line. I really dislike carrying loads, but realize it's a necessary evil if I don't want to do the stumbling out in the dark by headlamp type hike.

Referring to this trip as an "overnighter" sounds suspiciously like a "three hour tour." :-)

Do-able? Absolutely, especially if in great shape. If just one night, no need for a lot of gear.

Enjoyable? Less sure about that.

With four times more altitude gain than there is in the entire state of Wisconsin, this sort of trip is way past my ability. I guess I would need one heluva destination to make it worth the schlep.

...one is probably three times your distance and is a "Can-to-Can't-See" (i.e. dawn to dusk) hike for most people that try it in a day.

That balance between doing long day hikes vs. lugging the equipment in for overnighters is a fine line. I really dislike carrying loads, but realize it's a necessary evil if I don't want to do the stumbling out in the dark by headlamp type hike.

Up here in June and July we have about 16h of sun, and an additional 1.5-2h of twilight Darkness would only be a concern if you are realy slow (like 3h slower than the range (12-15h moderate scramble).

I guess an overnight hike requires about 2.5 times the food and water, tent and sleeping bag. That is about all if you arn't worried about gourme food. I am happy to eat sandwiches, hotdogs over a fire, and de-hydrated food.

Referring to this trip as an "overnighter" sounds suspiciously like a "three hour tour." :-)

Do-able? Absolutely, especially if in great shape. If just one night, no need for a lot of gear.

With four times more altitude gain than there is in the entire state of Wisconsin, this sort of trip is way past my ability. I guess I would need one heluva destination to make it worth the schlep.

Come to Washington. I'll show you some destinations worth the schlep.

On a recent hike, this was less than 500 feet up into the hike and the one below it is at about 4500' accomplished in about 4 hours or so. elevation gain was 2500 feet. The ravine where the water fall was at was lined with 1100' cliffs.

b8305dfe-ab85-4535-9bae-ba4add91609a.jpg

8e965256-b95b-4afd-96d7-a1e9d1e9b1ed.jpg

Definitely doable... 2 months ago did El Capitan and Half Dome from the valley floor on back to back days with some heavy beverage consumption the night between. That was about 9000-1000K elevation gain over about 38 miles. Then again... I did do Mount Washington from Pinkham twice in one month so I would definitely recommend a good regime of heavy weekend hiking prior to your attempt.

Good luck!

Yeah, but you're a guy who did a 12 mile hike/cache hunt and when you were finished with some daylight left, added another 5 miles after your companion called it a day.

For us mortals what the OP is proposing would be a tough one. Doable but no walk in the park

Come to Washington. I'll show you some destinations worth the schlep.

On a recent hike, this was less than 500 feet up into the hike and the one below it is at about 4500' accomplished in about 4 hours or so. elevation gain was 2500 feet. The ravine where the water fall was at was lined with 1100' cliffs.

b8305dfe-ab85-4535-9bae-ba4add91609a.jpg

8e965256-b95b-4afd-96d7-a1e9d1e9b1ed.jpg

Ahh! Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Still, you would be amazed. When the wife and I were in Yosemite 10 yrs ago, I found the hike on the Mist Trail up to Vernal and Nevada Falls bewitching, despite hardly being in shape for it. My wife, not so much.

Good luck!

Yeah, but you're a guy who did a 12 mile hike/cache hunt and when you were finished with some daylight left, added another 5 miles after your companion called it a day.

For us mortals what the OP is proposing would be a tough one. Doable but no walk in the park

That is the kind of advice that I like!

I like the pics from washington! We have nothing that green up here in alberta. This cache is about as good as it gets for pictures up here in Alberta!

Edited by Andronicus