Replacing waterlogged logs

It depends....

If there is room and it is easy enough to add - I Will sometimes put in a little craft baggie and new logbook/sheet leaving the old one.

If the cache container is not comprimised and there is no room I have dried it out and placed a new logsheet and taken the old one with an offer to dry it and mail to the cache owner. Only when I can do so without overtly changing the cache.

If the cache container is inheirently leaky or totally comprimised and hopelessly wet. I use my Uniball powertank pressureized pen to sign the remains of the mush and move on.

Any way - I note it in my log and where needed mark the cache as needs maintenance.

Other cachers probably add a logbook, if they are replacing a logbook, they shouldn't be as it belongs to the CO.

Leave the logbook as is, bag up the new one so hopefully it won't go soggy too!

As soon as you can, record your "found it", then promptly add another log (same method) of "Needs Maintenance" explaining why and what you did.

That's it in a nutshell. :)

Most of the caches I've been finding lately have very waterlogged log books. I've read some other caches where some finders replace these logs. Is this something that's welcome? What do you do with the old logs? Is it better to replace a waterlogged log, or just leave a note in my "found it" log?

If I think the log can be salvaged I'll leave it. May even dry it for a bit if I'm in no hurry and it's a warm sunny spot.

The only logs I've removed are those which are unintelligible (several logs are with gel pens or such which run in water and have)

I've usually got Rite in Rain strips for bison tubes with me (I think I've placed 5 times as many logs from these as hidden bison tubes) and will slip those in.

I rarely carry replacement parts for a cache, its all I can do to have a pen and gpsr with me. Although I am not sure how much good it does to leave a water-soaked log in a cache where the owner has moved out of the country, entered the witness-protection program, and not logged on to the site for three years, I recognize that some people may want these things and would leave the existing log in place. So just for the record, if anybody finds a water-soaked log in any of my caches where somebody did not replace the decon lid tightly, and can save me a maintenance run to replace it, they are free to dispose of it before it spreads mildew any further.

Edited by Erickson
I would not take the existing log unless I had the OK of the owner. Adding a dry piece of paper is fine though
Won't be a dry piece of paper for very long, though, unless you have a separate ziplock baggie for it. I do sometimes remove a waterlogged log when all I have is paper and it would immediately get as wet as the original. Many micros don't even have any sort of baggie protection. If you want to fix a wet log in those, the only option is to replace.

I keep spare logsheets handy (courtesy of TechBlazer, here). I will replace a logsheet and contact the CO with an offer to deliver the old log. They've always taken me up on the offer, grateful that I've saved them some cache maintenance. I haven't yet met a cacher who disapproved of my practice, but I suppose when I do I will have to re-think what I consider a courtesy to fellow cachers.

Sometimes you can dry them out, but if it got wet it will again. If it is mush and you can't read the logs then yes remove it. I carry plain and WP paper and use which ever accordingly. Of course let the owner know, if they are still active, by email. If you post it on the cache page, then some cachers would just say they found it knowing no one can prove they didn't.

Sometimes you can dry them out, but if it got wet it will again. If it is mush and you can't read the logs then yes remove it. I carry plain and WP paper and use which ever accordingly. Of course let the owner know, if they are still active, by email. If you post it on the cache page, then some cachers would just say they found it knowing no one can prove they didn't.

I have a small GS back pack that I carry GeoCaching. I started this after finding some caches that previous cachers had left open and were now getting wet inside or ones that just leaked a little bit. In it I usually have some very small notebooks, Zip lock baggies, swag, pens pencils etc. One of our first finds had a container that was in very bad shape, being rusty and wet. I had many containers like this one so I went home found one and camoed it like the one at the hide put a new log book in several baggies and returned to the site to drop it off, putting the old log book in a new baggie as it had been aroung for a long time and was very interesting to read. Being new I hoped that the owner would not mind my doing this as long as everything remaind in as the same type he started with. I really appreciated his or her cache and did not want them to lose anymore logs from others finding it.