Deleting Earthcache Logs

Plasma Boy

I have an Earthcache and I have noticed that it was logged, but the answers to my required questions have not been answered. I have contacted the cacher twice and he has not submitted the answers or acknowledged that he is going to. He has not submitted answers to another local Earrthcache either.

It has been a month since he logged. A week since my last email. How long do I wait? I feel it is not fair to the other cachers who fulfilled the logging requirements to let this log stand.

I have an Earthcache and I have noticed that it was logged, but the answers to my required questions have not been answered. I have contacted the cacher twice and he has not submitted the answers or acknowledged that he is going to. He has not submitted answers to another local Earrthcache either.

It has been a month since he logged. A week since my last email. How long do I wait? I feel it is not fair to the other cachers who fulfilled the logging requirements to let this log stand.

Let me tell you what I do.

1- If I get correct standard replies to my questions the log is 100% valid.

2- If I get some answers that are correct and some that are wrong, I correct the wrong answers and allow the log.

3- If I don't get the answers and still no reply to my e-mails, the log disappears into thin air.

I think your's is perhaps the latter situation. You decide what to do.

Each of my EarthCache listings have the logging requirements posted that are very direct and to the point yet very simple to do, answer the questions and post a photo :unsure: .

If they dont meet the logging requirements I will delete the log without notice :rolleyes: .

Yes, I'm dealing with the same thing on my latest EC. Cache was logged but no picture posted and no email sent. I'm willing to be flexible if someone had a camera malfunction or accidentally skips one of the answers, but this one won't respond to emails or anything. Time to hit the delete button, I guess. :)

Each of my EarthCache listings have the logging requirements posted that are very direct and to the point yet very simple to do, answer the questions and post a photo :unsure: .

If they dont meet the logging requirements I will delete the log without notice :rolleyes: .

Yes, I'm dealing with the same thing on my latest EC. Cache was logged but no picture posted and no email sent. I'm willing to be flexible if someone had a camera malfunction or accidentally skips one of the answers, but this one won't respond to emails or anything. Time to hit the delete button, I guess. :)

yep. I'm fairly leinient on answers and occasionally will let the absence of a photo slide but no contact from the cacher = delete.

Let me tell you what I do.

1- If I get correct standard replies to my questions the log is 100% valid.

2- If I get some answers that are correct and some that are wrong, I correct the wrong answers and allow the log.

3- If I don't get the answers and still no reply to my e-mails, the log disappears into thin air.

I think your's is perhaps the latter situation. You decide what to do.

On each of my earth caches I have several things written:

"Each Cacher that logs a find is required to submit answers to the questions above (failure to comply will result in a deletion of your log). The only exception are young kids that are cache with their parents (who have their own account, but not computer privileges). Per Earthcache guidelines, each cacher is to learn from their visit/experience. That means each cacher must perform the necessary task(s) or requirements to log the cache and earn your smiley."

and

"You must complete these requirements within 48 hours of logging the cache."

That should be adequate more than enough time to complete the requirements once the cache has been logged. Personally I would like to drop it even more than that... but I do know and understand that life happens.

As previously mentioned and quoted here in my reply - I do pretty much the same thing:

1- If I get correct standard replies to my questions the log is 100% valid then I thank them for taking them time and letting them know their answer was correct. I may even comment on their photo especially the cool spots, the crazy shots, etc.

2- If I get some answers that are correct and some that are wrong, I correct the wrong answers and allow the log. Me too.

3- If I don't get the answers and still no reply to my e-mails, the log disappears into thin air. Yup, EXACTLY how I do it too.

Once in a while I understand answers get lost (I've done it), photos get lost of deleted (it happens to me). What I do then is just tell me what you remember. I had a guy write a whole page which I appreciated and thought was a tad overkill (for me) but to each their own. For photos - then I tell them to paste their favorite geo photo. Show me with them in a cool spot. Those that take the time I always will work with unless they are a jerk.

Just my two cents...

I can think of at least a case where 48 hours is not enough time. Sometimes when I am on a long trip I have lots of caches to log. Earthcaches take more effort to log since you have to post a picture and email the owner (almost always). It can be a pain to get your pictures off the camera at night when time is short and the next day of your trip comes quickly.

In the few cases where this has happened to me, I logged a Note to the cache that I could change to a Found log later when I can post the picture and email the answers. That way the order of the finds could be preserved, and you could have more time to log the find correctly.

I can think of at least a case where 48 hours is not enough time. Sometimes when I am on a long trip I have lots of caches to log. Earthcaches take more effort to log since you have to post a picture and email the owner (almost always). It can be a pain to get your pictures off the camera at night when time is short and the next day of your trip comes quickly.

In the few cases where this has happened to me, I logged a Note to the cache that I could change to a Found log later when I can post the picture and email the answers. That way the order of the finds could be preserved, and you could have more time to log the find correctly.

I totally agree with you. Just don't log the cache then. Wait til you have everything you need to be able to log it properally. I have no problems with a note posted to the cache page but don't "Find it" until you are ready to complete it. I have two earth caches that I haven't logged because of that very reason. I don't have my photo ready off of my camera. I believe in "practicing what I preach".

I've been getting this a lot over the past several months. Usually the log entry is something ridiculously short too - like "Found it". And usually the cacher only has a few finds. I'm guessing it's newbies starting right into paperless caching. They think all they have to do is go to the posted coords and tada! I've seen the same thing happen on multicaches too.

Anyway, in my write-ups I tell people they have 3 days to send me the answers after logging their find. I'll usually give them a week, and if I don't get answers I'll send them a "reminder". If I don't hear anything within a few days after that, it's hasta la vista baby!

This is a good way to handle it. I don't care about the order of finds, so I just wait until I'm ready to submit everything and then I email the owner and log the Earthcache (and backdate it).

The only caches that I've ever had to delete any finds is one of my 2 EarthCaches. It requires answers to 3 very easy questions, if the cacher has been there. In each case (there's been 4 of them out of the 29 who have logged a find), I wait a week and if no email with the answers, I email them and remind them of the cache requirements. I wait another week, if no response, I email them again and advise that I will delete their "find" if answers aren't forthcoming, and offering assistance if they ask for it. A week later, the log gets deleted.

So far, I've not received even one response of any kind to the emails I sent these 4 loggers. If they won't even acknowledge my emails to them, tough stuff.

I logged a Note to the cache that I could change to a Found log later when I can post the picture and email the answers. That way the order of the finds could be preserved, and you could have more time to log the find correctly.

I do this also. But I've had one EC owner delete NOTES with no explanation.
I logged a Note to the cache that I could change to a Found log later when I can post the picture and email the answers. That way the order of the finds could be preserved, and you could have more time to log the find correctly.

I do this also. But I've had one EC owner delete NOTES with no explanation.

I wonder if this is because the cache owner knows that the note can be converted to a find later with no notification back to the cache owner?

Just speculation.

I used to own a webcam. I got pretty testy about "notes" with no pics that got converted to finds - still with no pics. Pawing through all finds being the only way to determine that. This would be even tougher with a cache that had email requirements. A lot of bookkeeping.

Just a thought on why a cache owner might delete such a note.

I wonder if this is because the cache owner knows that the note can be converted to a find later with no notification back to the cache owner?

Just speculation.

You may be right. I still would have appreciated an answer to why he did it...and a few days grace period before he did. Maybe even a notification on the web page that notes would be deleted and why.

I had a situation arise wherein the answers provided to the simple questions were so far from being correct that I wondered if the answere had actually visited the site. I checked to see if he had logged any closeby regular caches, and he had. I accepted the log, but I really wondered, since the questions were pretty simple and the answers were just really wrong. Does anyone have a solution when this comes up again? Thanks.

I just had a log deleted today on GC14TVP because you can not see my face in the photo. According to the new EarthCache guidelines as of 01/11/10 in rule number 6, it clearly states that requiring a cache visitor to post a picture of their face is considered an ALR and should be optional, and that CO's can not delete posts because of ALR. But the local reviewer went along with the CO. I have sent the reviewer some info that may be helpful and appealed their decision. Would anyone like to comment? I would like your input. The new guideline seems very clear to me. I found it while getting ready to submit my first EC.

Edited by manville p h

1. GC14TPV isn't an earthcache; could you please double-check?

2. "Local reviewers" have no jurisdiction over earthcaches. Did you mean your local earthcache reviewer?

3. Reviewers don't have jurisdiction over log deletions. You should write to contact@geocaching.com and ask them to look into restoring your log, if deemed appropriate.

Edited by Keystone
Sorry, make that GC14TVP. Fall Creek Falls EarthCache. I sometimes see numbers and letters backwards.

It looks like the picture requirement has been revised.

Interesting question about what you do if you didn't take any picture while there because you knew a face picture was not a valid requirement.

Edited by beejay&esskay

I had a picture of myself with my GPS unit, but I had my head turned so that you could not see my face. I have a public job, and I enjoy geocaching but I like to keep my private life private. The new "no face in the photo" allows me the freedom to EarthCache that I have had to pass on before. I took some really good pictures of the falls and enjoyed the Park.

I agree with you about my face on the internet (privacy issue), I was just told by someone in Eastern Tennessee, that the COs state that geocaching.com indicates they can require them, even though the EC guidelines states the are ALRs. Those COs do not make it easy for one to enjoy earthcaching. Some COs recognize the change and have been correcting their logging requirements.

In the past I have not been searching for them because of the photo issue. Maybe someday, I might try more actively.

Good luck on getting this reinstated.

Edited by MarViDa

I had a picture of myself with my GPS unit, but I had my head turned so that you could not see my face. I have a public job, and I enjoy geocaching but I like to keep my private life private. The new "no face in the photo" allows me the freedom to EarthCache that I have had to pass on before. I took some really good pictures of the falls and enjoyed the Park.

I wonder why you say this? As of this date, you have 30 EC finds. the latest one on your list is GC15WW8. The link to the picture you submitted is below.

October 23, 2009 by manville p h (348 found)

I used to park here and eat lunch. Wonder why the parking spot on the other side of the river is locked off now? It was a nice place to access the river and fish. Thanks for the Earth Cache.

Manville.

View This Log Manville @ Fort Patrick Henry Dam: (EC)

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/ecc911...06e69960288.jpg

Moderator,

At out request, please delete all of our posts in this thread.

Thank you.

Please see the Forum Guidelines:

11. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to the forum guidelines. In the unlikely even that we do edit your post and you do not like the changes, we can delete the message at your request.

So, I am sorry but I cannot delete your posts. I did want to note that the diligent moderating team had seen your recent posts, however.

The timeframe for editing a post is 24 hours. If we made it shorter we'd be punishing the vast majority of forum community members, who might not catch a late-night typo until re-reading the thread the next morning.

Fortunately occurrences like this one are relatively uncommon. Even then, the older posts about this situation are more than a day old and they still stand. And, many of the more recent posts were quoted by other thread participants.

Think first, post second. Then stand by your words.

Much of what she said is captured in quotes. Unfortunately, despite her disturbing behaviour, a cacher with over 13000 finds and many thoughtful hides has been forced by Groundspeak to stop enforcing logging requirements on his Earthcaches.

I guess that answers the thread. Earthcache logging requirements mean nothing.

Much of what she said is captured in quotes. Unfortunately, despite her disturbing behaviour, a cacher with over 13000 finds and many thoughtful hides has been forced by Groundspeak to stop enforcing logging requirements on his Earthcaches.

I am sorry, but this is simply not true. When I appealed to Groundspeak, Sandy Barker replied to me the she was sorry, but I would not be able to log the cache as a find because I had not met the logging requirements. I did not answer the questions correctly. I resubmitted a different picture and answers to the CO which were much closer to what he was asking. The CO let my post stand, he was not forced by Groundspeak to do so, as you can read in the other thread. The cache was retracted and then republished by Geoaware because the CO had posted that a persons face must be clearly seen in the pictire, or the logs would be deleted. I just think that the CO was unaware of the new changes about the photo option, and he and I both lost our tempers trying to prove who was right. He was NOT forced by Groundspeak to let my post stand. It was worked out between us, by me providing a better photo and closer answers to the required questions.

This is the first cache that I personally have logged, normally my husband and the kids do all the geocaching, I just go along for the ride. I was at the Park for training and my husband asked me to take a photo of the EarthCache to log on our account. I am camera shy and just don't want my face in a photo on the internet.

Please see post #145 in the Photos required for logging EarthCaches thread. This should clear things up that the CO was not forced by Groundspeak to accept my find to his EarthCache.

Edited by manville p h

I am sorry, but this is simply not true. When I appealed to Groundspeak, Sandy Barker replied to me the she was sorry, but I would not be able to log the cache as a find because I had not met the logging requirements. I did not answer the questions correctly. I resubmitted a different picture and answers to the CO which were much closer to what he was asking. The CO let my post stand, he was not forced by Groundspeak to do so, as you can read in the other thread. The cache was retracted and then republished by Geoaware because the CO had posted that a persons face must be clearly seen in the pictire, or the logs would be deleted. I just think that the CO was unaware of the new changes about the photo option, and he and I both lost our tempers trying to prove who was right. He was NOT forced by Groundspeak to let my post stand. It was worked out between us, by me providing a better photo and closer answers to the required questions.

This is the first cache that I personally have logged, normally my husband and the kids do all the geocaching, I just go along for the ride. I was at the Park for training and my husband asked me to take a photo of the EarthCache to log on our account. I am camera shy and just don't want my face in a photo on the internet.

Please see post #145 in the Photos required for logging EarthCaches thread. This should clear things up that the CO was not forced by Groundspeak to accept my find to his EarthCache.

Post #152 from the other thread the CO stated (s)he was in fact forced to allow your log.

But whatever....

*Edit made to capture your words....I'd hate for them to get deleted somehow by accident.

Edited by Lostby7