Discover Geocaching / Discover Your World

ECplus3

I had a lot of fun working on this coin, which I hope shows in the final product. It actually started off as a pathtag design almost a year ago for the 2009 CITO competition on that site. But I'm glad I saved this design for a full-size geocoin. That gave me the opportunity to really do it right.

To me, one of the greatest parts of geocaching is the magnificent views that others want to share with me. I love caches in out of the way places -- even if I don't often get a chance to go looking for them.

The coin will be 45mm (1.75") in diameter and 3.5mm thick. It will be trackable and have a unique icon.

The front will have a photo screen printed onto an aluminum plate which will be glued into the recessed area on the coin. The plate will be lower than the top level to give a 3d effect. This side will be epoxy coated to protect the screen printing.

On the back, the world map will be done in translucent enamels.

There will likely be two finishes for this coin, but I will wait to have the samples in hand before making any decisions. There will also be multiple images printed: mountain, seaside, winter.

PHD1001_tease.jpg

Edited by E&Cplus3

I like the concept of the design - looking over the cacher's shoulder at GPS and vista, the cacher's profile creating the frame. It encapsulates the appeal most cachers have to the game. But I'm not a fan of screened photos. Nice use of cache attribute icons on the reverse.

I've stopped buying a lot of coins but I will definitely be needing one of these.

You could not have picked a more spectacular spot on the planet to feature. To date, I have never seen anything more beautiful than the Valley of the Ten Peaks, a camera cannot capture its magnificence. I took so many futile photos attempting to. When I got up on top of the rocks and looked out at the reflection in Lake Moraine, my eyes started tearing up, I had to look away for a moment, then look back, trying to process what my eyes were taking in. It didn't look real.... I'm not exaggerating.

And there's an earthcache there; Gardengorilla placed it! I might have missed this amazing spot, if not for a cointest I had before my trip where she advised me to go there (and I'm still so grateful for the tip) :) So it seems like this coin was made for me, lol.

Hey Chuck, where is that picture from? It looks like the view from my earth cache at Moraine Lake, Valley of Ten Peaks GC16PVR.

That photo was taken by my uncle a few years ago when he took his family to Banff. He told me it was Lake Louise, but he could be mixed up :)

I've used that photo as my wallpaper from time to time because it is a nice hi-res image of a spectacular scene. My uncle is a bit of a camera junkie -- he had a 5 megapixel camera when 2 was the norm. He now has a 21.1 megapixel monster!!

I'll ask again to see if it is Lake Moraine and not Lake Louise, but the years may have muddled my old uncle's memories (he is 3 years older than me).

The comments about screen printings never quite turning out as well as you'd hope are well taken. I've asked the mint to prepare artwork for another version of the coin with the mountain scene done in 3d.

I'll have a look at what they produce and then make a decision. This likely means that there won't be multiple scenes (although the cost of doing the die for that side of the coin is actually less than preparing the printing plate for the insert).

Hey Chuck, where is that picture from? It looks like the view from my earth cache at Moraine Lake, Valley of Ten Peaks GC16PVR.

That photo was taken by my uncle a few years ago when he took his family to Banff. He told me it was Lake Louise, but he could be mixed up :lol:

I've used that photo as my wallpaper from time to time because it is a nice hi-res image of a spectacular scene. My uncle is a bit of a camera junkie -- he had a 5 megapixel camera when 2 was the norm. He now has a 21.1 megapixel monster!!

I'll ask again to see if it is Lake Moraine and not Lake Louise, but the years may have muddled my old uncle's memories (he is 3 years older than me).

Nope, that is for sure Valley of Ten Peaks. I've compared it to pics logged on my Earthcache and besides I recognize that tree in the foreground :) I'll want one of these for sure Chuck!

Here is the artwork for the 3d version. This will likely be a thick coin to get the mountain scene recessed the way I want it. They sent the artwork back with 3.5mm thickness but the 3d artwork raised above the level of the coin face. I would want the 3d portion to be recessed to preserve the depth of the scene and to keep the geocacher fixed in the foreground. And I definitely want this to be hard enamel, which couldn't be done with raised 3d artwork.

Hopefully I can get away with 4mm but I'll have to wait to hear back from the mint.

The back came out very nice I think. Can't wait to see it with the translucent enamels!

PHD1001_art.jpg

The reflection in the lake (and the fact a lake exists) is lost for me in the 3d version... I like the idea of different scenes, however I'd like them better in colored hard enamels... just my .02 :laughing:

I'm going out on a limb, but I have to assume if he plans to do the coin in IHE, he would cover the offset printing with epoxy. In which case, it would appear to be IHE across the whole shooting match. And still be able to change the die. I'll have to dig up the last pin I just did for a lady in Indiana. It was offset printed, and it was outstanding.

TMA

That photo was taken by my uncle a few years ago when he took his family to Banff. He told me it was Lake Louise, but he could be mixed up :laughing:

Nope, that is for sure Valley of Ten Peaks. I've compared it to pics logged on my Earthcache and besides I recognize that tree in the foreground :laughing: I'll want one of these for sure Chuck!

I agree its not Lake Louise.. (my wife and I honeymooned there 14 years ago)

I found this image of lake morraine online and it seems similar to the one you have

0806SummerLakeLouise.jpg

Edited by teamhaynes

I'm not sure what the problem is with offset printing. The coin that Eric K just released HERE has the map printed on the back under epoxy. And I can guarantee you that the result is exactly as submitted.

TMA

Indeed, I recognized that it was printed right away. It's just a personal preference, I don't like the way it looks. To me, if I wanted that effect, I'd glue pictures on the back of glass beads. :laughing: Anyway, totally personal choice, obviously other people like them. :)

I think the reason this particular coin interests me is because there are still metal/enamel bits on the frontside, so it looks less like the picture under a glass bead, and more like a coin. And as I said before, don't let a couple of dissenters deter you from the coin you want to make. :laughing:

Edited by anne.and.eli

Samples are being made! I've decided to stick with my original plan and use a screen printed insert for the background scene. It is what I originally envisioned and it really does do a better job than the 3d version of showing the beauty of the lake and surrounding mountains.

If I do decide to make this a series, then I imagine I would have had the same problem trying to render other scenes in 3d as well.

Final artwork:

PHD1002_art.jpg

I'll have samples to show in a few weeks.

I would dump the Shiny Silver and Black Nickel just for the simple fact that the textures are easier to depict from the Antiques. JMHO

~J

It's actually quite easy to pick out detail on both of these. The texture on the lowest layer gives it almost a matte look. The antique gold turned out so dark that there isn't much difference between it and the black nickel. The BN is actually 2-tone, since the translucent enamel was applied over the lighter base metal and the BN finish applied afterwards. The map is nice and bright against the surrounding black.

I'm leaning towards four finishes: Antique Copper, Antique Silver, Antique Bronze, and Black Nickel.

Can't wait for these. Very nicely done! Since I'm a diver, I love that you included a Diver on the coin!

I used to dive too. Dove the Great Barrier Reef, but mostly North Atlantic. Just got tired of diving in near-freezing water in July!

Must be much more comfortable to dive in the Gulf of Mexico! I am hoping to vacation in the Dutch Antilles someday and spend the whole time underwater!

I will be minting four different finishes for sale. There will be three RE finishes, and one LE finish. The LE finish will only be available as part of a set of four.

The coins will be available for pre-order starting March 12th at 8:00 AM AST (GMT-4) and will last until March 26th at midnight AST.

No invoices will be sent out until the coins have been delivered and inspected from the mint!

Once the coins have passed inspection, invoices will be sent out via Paypal.

Here are the specifics for the finishes available:

Discover Your World

Valley of the Ten Peaks

Size: 45mm (1.75") x 3.5mm thick

Trackable with Custom icon

Front features screen-printed insert and hard enamel covered in epoxy.

Back features multiple layers covered in translucent enamel.

Regular editions:

PHD10_AC.jpg

Antique Copper

PHD10_AS.jpg

Antique Silver

PHD10_AB.jpg

Antique Bronze

Limited edition:

PHD10_BN.jpg

Black Nickel

All coins are $12.00 in Canadian funds, plus shipping. The four coin set will be $45.00, plus shipping. Exact shipping costs will be calculated before you confirm your order.

The pre-order will be done through my website:

http://phdcoins.ca

The coins are on the site now (though you are unable to add them to your cart) if you want to have a look around or create an account.

Edited by E&Cplus3