The Pro McToy thread

Andronicus

NICE CAR!!...The green one. Did you find that in a Cache??

Yes, a Dodge Challenger, it was the FTF prize and I had to have it... went out at 2 a.m. in the rain to an abandoned school across town, the cache was an ammo box attached to a tall dead tree leaning against the building.

I'm a huge MOPAR fan and have had 3 Dodge Challengers, a '70 Superbird and a '69 Daytona.

It is one of, lemme count, 9 model cars I have found in caches that were worth keeping, including a smaller Challenger.

Speaking of model cars...Of course this TB is missing...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1235081

And here I go...dragging us Off Topic. I guess I'm just as bad as the others.

so...to make my post fit in...Of course both of these cars are better than McToys, but McToys are still cool if they're in good condition. I like to leave them while they are still in the wrapper.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Yeah, so the best stuff is CITO kits or unusual items. The more unusual the better. Some kids may love the McToys, but I'll say this in parting. If nobody takes those McToys and they sit in the cache so long the become grotty then nobody will, unless they are doing some long overdue maintenance.

Back on track, 'k? ;)

I would aggre with you in as much as I would hate to see ONLY McToys as swag. But as long as they are a small(ish) portion of the swag (<30%), I think they are great.

There are actually people who treasure this stuff. And I know I have some McToys at home, still in original packaging from Toy Story (honestly these will only be passed on in my last will and testament) so not all are trash, or another way - one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I see someone likes cars, I did an ammo box out of the way in a park (way out of the way) which is packed with toy cars - My Other Car Is A Geocache. It's still full of toy cars, some of which may be collectible.

A mix isn't a bad idea, though many containers I've seen of late are Lock n Locks or such and there's little room in them for most toys; Mc-, BK or other. I had to extract a Winnie the Pooh 50 piece puzzle from a cache to place a travelbug over the weekend.

I like finding unopened McToys on occasion. Some of the BK toys in particular have been kind of cool here lately. Some I've seen used as pretty durable Travel Bugs.

And on that note...

McToys are great to find in caches. You don't feel guilty drilling a hole in them and making them into McTravelBugs.

(If only I had a McToy handy. I have a TB tag that's itchin for a theme)

forget the mactoy the way forward according to my daughter is now bouncy balls and not plastic balls or golf ones, but like she said... I dont see any problems with mctoys or anything in the cache as long as its clean, doesnt or hasnt leaked and is family friendly.

I hate bouncy balls. My kids always want them, but we wont allow them in the house (untill the youngest is a bit older). So then there is sad/mad kids. Bouncy balls can be a choaking hazard; a family friend's son died from choaking on one.

Edited by Andronicus

forget the mactoy the way forward according to my daughter is now bouncy balls and not plastic balls or golf ones, but like she said... I dont see any problems with mctoys or anything in the cache as long as its clean, doesnt or hasnt leaked and is family friendly.

I hate bouncy balls. My kids always want them, but we wont allow them in the house (untill the youngest is a bit older). So then there is sad/mad kids. Bouncy balls can be a choaking hazard; a family friend's son died from choaking on one.

When I was little I thought some of them looked delicious, but they taste horrible! Sad to hear someone choked to death on one. Perhaps racquet balls.

We inherited 3 bushels of new in the wrapper mctoys from a little lady who drove 8 blocks one way each day in her powered wheel chair to buy a happy meal. We still have a few left after a year of trading them.

And... I was recently able to finish a long planned cache because of a mctoy found on vacation.

We love em!

When I was little I thought some of them looked delicious, but they taste horrible! Sad to hear someone choked to death on one. Perhaps racquet balls.

They are great for families without <3 year olds, but I am not quite there yet (1 year to go barring unforeseen incidents). I am not suggesting you don't put them in caches, I am just stating my feelings.

Ok, we all hear people bad mouthing McToys (aka McCrap). But lets face it, as a general rule, most of us don't even trade, it is really mostly when we have the kids with us that trading is done. So in my judgment, McToys are great! When I have my kids with me, they always love the McToys.

I don't think many people have an issue with McToys per se. I think a new one in it's original wrapper makes a nice trade item. It's the dirty, broken ones that look like someone found it under his car seat that many find annoying.

Yeah - ditto that - as long as there's still lots of room to repack the cache well, they are fine. My teens still like to trade for them.

Ok, we all hear people bad mouthing McToys (aka McCrap). But lets face it, as a general rule, most of us don't even trade, it is really mostly when we have the kids with us that trading is done. So in my judgment, McToys are great! When I have my kids with me, they always love the McToys.

I don't think many people have an issue with McToys per se. I think a new one in it's original wrapper makes a nice trade item. It's the dirty, broken ones that look like someone found it under his car seat that many find annoying.

Yeah - ditto that - as long as there's still lots of room to repack the cache well, they are fine. My teens still like to trade for them.

I cache with my 8 year old daughter and she is super happy to see a mctoy or similar in there.. missing pieces or not because we don't eat out much and very rarely at fast food so its something new...she will play with the toy for a week or so and then put it back in her swag bag to trade at another cache!

I cache with my 8 year old daughter and she is super happy to see a mctoy or similar in there.. missing pieces or not because we don't eat out much and very rarely at fast food so its something new...she will play with the toy for a week or so and then put it back in her swag bag to trade at another cache!

Let her have what fun she can with 'em. Playing is serious business for kids. But if they are broken or missing parts just toss 'em out when she is done with 'em.

Let her have what fun she can with 'em. Playing is serious business for kids. But if they are broken or missing parts just toss 'em out when she is done with 'em.

oh yea if they are missing pieces or broken or cruddy by the time she is done they dont go back in the swag bag

There's a reason McDonald's spends millions on Happy Meal Toys... kids love them enough to get their parents to eat there. That makes them one of the most successful toy products (and marketing gimmicks) of all time.

What you think of their food is irrelevant - you can't deny that Happy Meal Toys are a huge success!

Why would a toy like that not be excellent swag in any geocache where children might trade?

Would a Happy Meal Toy be considered more valuable if it wasn't given away with the meal? If it was worth, say, $2.95 or more?

Check out what Happy Meal Toys are worth in the collector's market... you might start trading for every one you find in a cache!

http://www.collectorsconnection.com/mcdon.htm

http://www.happymealtoys.biz/

i know when they came out with the wizard of oz dolls both times, i was out searcing every mcd's looking for them to collect. i also have a set from the early 90's of disney characters that i could sell on ebay for $ 20 a piece. not bad for a happy meal toy.... now for swag, i only trade them if they are still in the bag, unopened. you never know, someone might be collecting that series!

Edited by dorothy&scarecrow