Oregon 300/400 beta 3.41 and 550 beta 2.71

Thanks maingray! I figured it would be easy! Hey, what's the chances that this update will be for the Colorado as well?

It may just be wishful thinking, but Im betting that they are using the Oregon as the guinea pig to get this all worked out, then they can put the new features including the track management stuff that REALLY needs to be fixed on the Colorado all in one shot.

On the map screen with the "Geocaching - Active" dashboard, if you select the Groundspeak icon and try to select a geocache, it doesn't do anything. It just goes back to the main map screen. Doesn't let you "Go" to that cache. This happens both while navigating to a geocache or when no geocache is active.

This is on an Oregon 300.

JetSkier

On the map screen with the "Geocaching - Active" dashboard, if you select the Groundspeak icon and try to select a geocache, it doesn't do anything. It just goes back to the main map screen. Doesn't let you "Go" to that cache. This happens both while navigating to a geocache or when no geocache is active.

I was able to reproduce this on my Oregon 400t this morning. Have you sent an email to Garmin on this yet?

... I did notice one thing though...when auto-routing to a cache location, or waypoint, and my vehicle is stationary (such as at a traffic light) the map page "quivers", "wiggles", moves back and forth every so slightly. This behavior was noted with the new compass dashboard selected on the map page. Turning the compass dashboard off (reverting to just Data Field option) and the map displays without quivering. Recalculating to off-road also stops the map from quivering. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this behavior.

I did not see any "quivering" or "wiggling" on my map screen, but I did see the map screen automatically zoom out one stop after a few seconds of sitting idle. Then a few seconds later it zoomed out another level, then a few seconds later it went one more level out, so I had to zoom in 3 levels to get the map back to the zoom/detail level I prefer...

I was able to reproduce this on my Oregon 400t this morning. Have you sent an email to Garmin on this yet?

I haven't reported it yet ... I just noticed it. I'll send an email in some time this afternoon.

JetSkier

@JetSkier -- I can reproduce it on my 400t too. However my 550t works fine, go figure. Other people are complaining on the wiki about this as well but I couldn't figure out how to reproduce it -- seems like the key was to use the Oregon x00.

On my 550t I sometimes see a hang when I tap the top button of the dashboard which contains the cache title. The description just never appears, just the Go button and battery pull is required to get things moving again. Only some caches seem to do this and not all the time.

I have loaded and installed this new 3.41 on my oregon 300---I don't seem to have anything changed on the unit and no new dashboards to choose from---what gives? thanks

Bring up the Compass screen. In the bottom right corner, you now have a button that allows you to select several dashboards.

I have loaded and installed this new 3.41 on my oregon 300---I don't seem to have anything changed on the unit and no new dashboards to choose from---what gives? thanks

Bring up the Compass screen. In the bottom right corner, you now have a button that allows you to select several dashboards.

Oh---that's where I was going wrong---thanks Chuck

The dashboard should only show on the map when either routing to a geocache or not routing at all.

Example, I decided to go after a multi today.

Selected the geocache to get to the first stage. Got the cords and created a waypoint.

Created a route to the waypoint and now I have the map showing the dashboard pointing me to the nearest geocache, with the compass pointing to it as well, and the map is showing me something else.

I dont like that, either disable the dashboard and show the data fields or make the dashboard show the info for the waypoint.

Theres more than geocaches that this device can be used for. :D

I dont like that, either disable the dashboard and show the data fields or make the dashboard show the info for the waypoint.

Theres more than geocaches that this device can be used for. :)

Good job there's other profiles then..... :laughing:

I didnt think of that.

I am already using a custom profile, it would be a pain having to switch profiles constantly then.

I like the dashboard but I think I am going to revert to the traditional data fields in the map screen.

Takes less screen space and it still can show an arrow.

Now if they added a small geocache button on the bottom right of the screen to go directly to the geocache page *when* routing to a geocache that would be perfect. :P

Haven't seen that.

With my 400t I can still point to a cache icon on the map, name of cache shows at top, click on that and all info comes up with the GO button in the bottom right corner and click that to go to the cache. This is the same as before.

Haven't seen that.

With my 400t I can still point to a cache icon on the map, name of cache shows at top, click on that and all info comes up with the GO button in the bottom right corner and click that to go to the cache. This is the same as before.

Are you doing it from the Map screen? Compass and Trip Computer work fine.

JetSkier

Was out caching today and this is what I discovered about the new geocaching dashboard.

If you go straight to the dashboard, the closest cache name is displayed at the top. if you want to go to that cache you can either follow the arrow and distance bar or click on the name and then go which brings you back to the map screen to begin navigating. If you want a different cache then click on the icon for that cache and then go or from the geocaches screen click find a cache, click on the one you want and then click go. Go to the map screen and that cache name is at the top and the arrow and distance shown is for that cache. When you then want to see information about that cache yoy can click on the name or the geocache logo on the right which brings up the screen with description, show logs, show hint etc, and you can log your find from there.

I hope that helps.

I noticed a strange bug today with new firmware on the 300.

I have the geocache dashboard selected on my compass screen. I was navigating to a geocache, but decided to go to a waypoint instead.

I went back to the main menu, selected "Go To", stop navigating, go to, waypoint, select waypoint, go to it. But when I go to the compass screen, I see it giving me distance to the geocache.

When I switch over to small data fields, it shows me the distance to my waypoint.

Not a fatal error, just a little curious. If the distance of the two are not so far away, I might be making my way to the geocache instead of the waypoint.

Well I loaded the 3.41 beta on my Oregon 300 the other day. The new dashboards are kind of nice. One thing I did notice after the upgrade. Seemed to be sluggish aquiring satellites. I charged up a set of batteries and installed them tonight, I loaded my new pocket queries, powered it up and I can't locate or aquire satellites. Been searching for almost an hour now nothing happening on the satellite screen. I'll have to e-mail or get a hold of Garmn tomorrow.

Putting my yes vote in on the "180 flip option".

I always carried my Venture in a carabiner holster and I put it in so that when I lifted it up it was oriented correctly so that I could read it. I was disappointed that the carabiner clip fits the Oregon in the direction that it does so that the Oregon is upside down when you try to just look at it while clipped to you. So, way to flip the screen would be nice to fix this.

Well I loaded the 3.41 beta on my Oregon 300 the other day. The new dashboards are kind of nice. One thing I did notice after the upgrade. Seemed to be sluggish aquiring satellites. I charged up a set of batteries and installed them tonight, I loaded my new pocket queries, powered it up and I can't locate or aquire satellites. Been searching for almost an hour now nothing happening on the satellite screen. I'll have to e-mail or get a hold of Garmn tomorrow.

Well after I wrote about the satellite aquisition problem I fired the Oregon up and set it outside for a couple hours. It was cold wet but it showed all satelittes and had an accuracy 10 '. I got up this morning fired it up inside took a minute but seems to be finding satellites with no problem. Maybe after the upgrade I didn't have a good lock on the satellites long enough before I yanked the batteries. Only thing I can figure seeing I 'm the only one with the problem.

Well...I got my 400T last year as a christmas gift to me from eBay, Microsoft, my parents, and myself, and just last week the cruel gods decided it was time for me to upgrade - by way of a car burglar who took my beloved 400T, but surprisingly saw fit to leave my 60CSx and Nuvi 250W. Sooo..this year I am giving myself a 550T (just couldn't see not upgrading, what with the camera and all.

After a very little bit of research, it appears that the advantages to the 550T over the 400T are:

Camera (obviously)

holds 5000 caches from PQs (2000 in the 400T)

Larger internal memory (?)

hi-speed USB

3-axis compass

It also sounds from these posts that there are several dashboard OS upgrades from the 400T that (if I understand correctly) are not available in the 400T?

I had requested the addition of a button to the compass page to go directly to the cache description page several months back, and it sounds like there was enough clamor for this that it was added. Gotta love it.

Given the design of Garmin's own carabiner clip, the 180 degree screen flip option seems like a no-brainer. I don't use the carabiner, as my GPS is either zipped in a pocket or in my hand (or in the hands of the meth-head who stole it) but I think I would if the carabiner option were more usable.

This will be my 5th upgrade in GPS since I started caching with my Magellan Map330...those were the days. I must say, we've come a long way, and every change I have made (primarily the one I made to Garmin from Magellan) has been for the better.

I am excited to try out the recommendations and tips posted here when my 550 arrives tomorrow. Thanks for a lively and informative thread.

It also sounds from these posts that there are several dashboard OS upgrades from the 400T that (if I understand correctly) are not available in the 400T?

Looking at the screen caps, it looks like the 550 can do at least a couple of things the x00 series cannot:

1. Display up to 6 data fields on the compass page

2. Display compass with "fat" arrow

Neither are groundbreaking stuff, but the fat arrow is a lot more visible.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that the screen is a little improved from the x00 in terms of visibility outdoors.

Sorry to hear about the burglary. Hate it when such things happen.

Why are the context-menu's removed, like they were on the etrexes? Like: you are in a map, and want to change its settings. Or want to find points around the location to where you scrolled? I still think the interface is much too 1-dimensional. Cross links should be introduced.

ive just taken the plunge and tried out my first beta, was wondering how long 3.42 had been out as everyone is still talking about 3.41

quick question, is the beta versions pretty reliable or do they tend to be buggy?

3.42 was released on the 22nd December. Garmins beta's tend to be more like alpha's and generally very buggy. I always try them tho...

There's a newer beta release out: 3.42

I couldn't see the forum post for it :? but try that release and post if it's better

There's a thread for that somewhere, but the thread title didn't include the version number. Edit : seems like thread has been renamed (or I remembered incorrectly) and can be found here.

The biggest UI improvement in 3.42 is the geocache type icon in the geocache list view (Geocache > Find a Geocache).

748429130_DnaiE-O-1.jpg

Edited by Chrysalides