Geocache too hard to find?

i finally finished a multicache, took me a year to build it all.

the caches are 10 2 inch square brass tags attached to various buildings, trees etc all over my area.

the first one requires the use of binoculars since it is no where near ground level, another requires some boating or wading to get to the island its on.

i highly doubt any one will be able to complete, should i subject geocachers to this or delete the thing before it starts?

Since you spent the time and energy to place it, you should submit it for publication. It probably will not have many 'finds,' but I'm sure you understand that. But there are some very determined cachers out there.

Make sure the listing states that special equipment is required.

Edited by JoesBar

No offense intended but I wouldn't look for it.

Though I can assure you that some will find it fascinating, I do have a lot of other hobbies and typically won't spend more than a half hour (on average) looking for a cache. I also don't do multi's, and puzzle caches don't interest me either. Basically if the hobby of geocaching was all about multi caches, I wouldn't be a cacher.

But that's just me.

If I put myself in the shoes of someone who enjoys multis and puzzles, I would think it's a cool cache. If I were into puzzles and multis, I would look for it.

One thing that would concern me, and again no offense intended, is that you haven't gotten a lot of experience in caching. The experience helps you learn what is good and not good about different types of caches.

Just like how, after my first couple days of caching, I thought it would be cool to put a cache on a garbage dumpster, after my year and a half caching I know what a true good geocache is. Having said that, I'm still learning. It's for that reason I would be concerned before I did a puzzle/multi cache from a relatively new cacher. I would question, within myself, if they actually knew what makes a good cache.

There is nothing wrong with what you propose for your cache and I applaud the use of brass tags but keep in mind that brass will tarnish and the one with the binoculars will likely be unreadable in short time, from a distance.

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it and I hope it works out for you.

Good luck on your cache and Happy Caching.

the caches are 10 2 inch square brass tags attached to various buildings, trees etc all over my area.

the first one requires the use of binoculars since it is no where near ground level, another requires some boating or wading to get to the island its on.

i highly doubt any one will be able to complete, should i subject geocachers to this or delete the thing before it starts?

Just wondering if you own the "various buildings, trees etc" to which these brass tags were attached. Or if you received permission to attach them to the objects.

This sounds like a good set but it would get more finds if you published each one seperately with the first being traditional and the rest being mystery. That way you get a find for each which is more incentive to look for it and makes it more fun to me. You find the first and get the coords to the next. This sounds like it would take multiple trips to do so adding finds is better. Not to mention all those spots taken where you cant hide any other caches limits the possibilites of having greater numbers of caches in that area. Just my 0.02..

it's all about being able to find more caches for some, eh?

I've been caching for several years, but only have a few finds to my name.

I like challenging caches. I like multis. I like puzzles (though I can't solve them all...some folks are too clever for me with puzzles). I HATE easy grabs. - yawn - A cache can have easy terrain, but still offer a challenge. Likewise a cache can be an easy find, but have challenging terrain.

I look for caches because I want to find something that will give me an adventure. sometimes I lament that there's too much geo-junk out there that it crowds out the option of placing a good multi in the same area.

I say keep on with your multi. But like another poster suggested - brass tarnishes. You will have to keep up on your tags to make sure they remain visible. Aluminum tags might have been a better choice. Arborist and forestry companies sell them (Ben Meadows, etc).

i highly doubt any one will be able to complete

Go ahead and submit it. But I suggest asking yourself why are you doing this in the first place. And, how would you feel about this if people go look for different stages and share their results with each other? And let's not forget cache maintenance in case a stage goes missing.

Edit : and for goodness sake rate it correctly.

Edited by Chrysalides

it got shot down because i wouldn't give the reviewer all the coordinates.

:/

Yeah, you're going to have to do that. Don't let this be the reason you're cache doesn't get published. It sounds really cool.

Personally, I would have discussed the concept with the reviewer prior to submitting it and checked the locations for other caches (or stages of other multi-caches) before I ever started attaching anything to buildings.

You might want to be prepared to tell the reviewer specifically what each object is and perhaps if you have permission.

:/

Yeah, multis and puzzles require this so reviewers can be sure they're not too close to other caches. In addition, for a long multi, it's a great way to keep track of the coords. I had a 14 stage multi that I would never have remembered where each stage was. If someone said, I couldn't find Stage 6, I just looked up the waypoint and could go check on it.

Yeah, why wouldn't you give the reviewer all the coordinates? That is a requirement in order to have a cache published.

Did you perhaps misunderstand either the Cache Listing Requirement/Guidelines or the request from the reviewer?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#sat

Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Sounds like the very thing a few of the local cachers would trample each other on their way to or make a day un-event of. Sounds the very essence of GeoCaching, if you ask me. :)