Proximity and Vacation Guidelines

geoaware

Thank you all for your feedback in these forums and emails.

The EarthCache team has decided to make an important change to the current guideline regarding proximity to other EarthCaches: The expectation of the soon-to-be-implemented proximity guideline for EarthCaches is to respect the space around an existing EarthCache and to recognize the unique lesson already being presented.

Going forward, we are reserving the right to refrain from publishing EarthCaches that present the same or substantially similar content regarding a particular geological feature. Conversely, we reserve the right to publish an EarthCache in close proximity to another EarthCache if we believe that it presents a distinct geological lesson.

The current guidelines regarding vacation EarthCaches will remain as is for the moment. The EarthCache team has decided not to make any further changes at this time.

We believe that these decisions are best for the long-term health of the program.

An updated set of guidelines will be released prior to the start of the new system.

The EarthCache Team

Edited by geoaware

Thanks for the update ;)

One questions just to make sure that I have understood you correctly:

You are talking about proximity to other EarthCaches. What about the proximity to other cache types? I assume that this rule remains as it is. This means that an earthcache is for example not allowed to be closer than 0.1 mile to a traditional cache. Is this correct?

Thanks for the update :rolleyes:

You are talking about proximity to other EarthCaches. What about the proximity to other cache types? I assume that this rule remains as it is. This means that an earthcache is for example not allowed to be closer than 0.1 mile to a traditional cache. Is this correct?

If the old guideline remains in effect, an EarthCache could be well within the .1 mile of a traditional cache. The EC could be as close as the mythological "30 foot" rule. In other words, an EC cannot be literally on top of a traditional (using the same coordinates) but it could be approximately or as close as 30 feet +/- not .1 mile. I know there is no such thing as the "30 foot rule", but it kinda evolved as a rule-of-thumb distance.

We used to have to get permission from the traditional cache owner to 'place' an EC so close, but we no longer need the permission.

Personally, I think it is only courteous to at least check with the traditional owner before developing a close EC next to their cache. :)

Thanks again to Geoaware and GS for a very reasoned approach to the changes. We wish them well with the actual 'cut-over' to the new system. :unsure:

I appreciate all your work, and that you took our comments and questions into account. Much of what I do in my day job is like talking to a brick wall (or a piece of granite). Its nice to know that people listen.

I am glad that we can continue to see what TerryDad2 and others will bring to our attention, to make our own trips that much more special, and to keep our eyes on the earth to see if we can contribute something as well.

Now I can go back to speculating about what WPT means in the other thread and what earthcaches (as well as virtuals and whereigos) I can reasonably expect to do on a whirlwind out of state visit to Charlotte this weekend.

Edited by Erickson

Thank you all for your feedback in these forums and emails.

The EarthCache team has decided to make an important change to the current guideline regarding proximity to other EarthCaches: The expectation of the soon-to-be-implemented proximity guideline for EarthCaches is to respect the space around an existing EarthCache and to recognize the unique lesson already being presented.

Going forward, we are reserving the right to refrain from publishing EarthCaches that present the same or substantially similar content regarding a particular geological feature. Conversely, we reserve the right to publish an EarthCache in close proximity to another EarthCache if we believe that it presents a distinct geological lesson.

The EarthCache Team

Thanks for the update :laughing:

I've been following these threads. It looks to me that the "proximity" rule only has to do with OTHER Earthcaches, NOT traditional caches.

We'll have to wait to see if this is correct, or not.

Hallo,

es ist immer schade, dass man immer etwas rätseln muss um was es hier eigentlich geht. Ich habe mir auf die schnelle erlaubt, dass Ganze einfach mit Google zu übersetzen. Als noch begeisterter EC Fan mag ich aber große Veränderungen zu unseren alten Richtlinien nicht erkennen.

Nach meinem Verständnis soll wohl der Raum oder Abstand zu einem anderen EC respektiert werden und er soll dann auch nicht den gleichen Inhalt oder Details haben. Umgekehrt soll es wohl doch Ausnahmen geben, wenn der neue EC sich auf völlig andere geologische Details bezieht.

Für mich wäre das wichtigste, dass ich weiter ECs in der Form eines Multis oder Mystery oder in Kombination machen kann und der Abstand zu einem Tradi weiterhin keine all zu große Rolle spielt. Wenn nicht, wäre ich sehr enttäuscht.

Kopie mit Google frei übersetzt! Achtung es handelt sich nicht um eine korrekte engl. Übersetzung

geoaware

post Dec 7 2009, 03:46 PM

Ich danke Ihnen allen für Ihr Feedback in diesen Foren und E-Mails.

Die EarthCache Team hat beschlossen, eine wichtige Änderung der geltenden Richtlinie über Nähe zu anderen EarthCaches machen: Die Erwartung des bald zu umgesetzt werden Nähe Leitlinie für EarthCaches ist es, den Raum um eine bestehende EarthCache zu respektieren und die einzigartige Lektion zu erkennen bereits vorgestellt.

In Zukunft werden wir das Recht vorbehält, von der Veröffentlichung EarthCaches zu unterlassen, die derzeit im wesentlichen die gleiche oder ähnliche Inhalte über eine bestimmte geologische Besonderheit. Umgekehrt, behalten wir uns das Recht auf einen EarthCache in der Nähe auf einem anderen veröffentlichen EarthCache, wenn wir glauben, dass es eine deutliche geologischen Lektion präsentiert.

Die aktuellen Richtlinien für Urlaub EarthCaches bleibt, wie es für den Augenblick. Die EarthCache Team hat beschlossen, keine weiteren Änderungen zu diesem Zeitpunkt zu machen.

Wir glauben, dass diese Entscheidungen am besten für die langfristige Gesundheit des Programms sind.

Eine aktualisierte Liste der Leitlinien wird vor dem Start des neuen Systems freigegeben werden.

Hallo,

es ist immer schade, dass man immer etwas rätseln muss um was es hier eigentlich geht. Ich habe mir auf die schnelle erlaubt, dass Ganze einfach mit Google zu übersetzen. Als noch begeisterter EC Fan mag ich aber große Veränderungen zu unseren alten Richtlinien nicht erkennen.

Nach meinem Verständnis soll wohl der Raum oder Abstand zu einem anderen EC respektiert werden und er soll dann auch nicht den gleichen Inhalt oder Details haben. Umgekehrt soll es wohl doch Ausnahmen geben, wenn der neue EC sich auf völlig andere geologische Details bezieht.

Für mich wäre das wichtigste, dass ich weiter ECs in der Form eines Multis oder Mystery oder in Kombination machen kann und der Abstand zu einem Tradi weiterhin keine all zu große Rolle spielt. Wenn nicht, wäre ich sehr enttäuscht.

Kopie mit Google frei übersetzt! Achtung es handelt sich nicht um eine korrekte engl. Übersetzung

geoaware

post Dec 7 2009, 03:46 PM

Ich danke Ihnen allen für Ihr Feedback in diesen Foren und E-Mails.

Die EarthCache Team hat beschlossen, eine wichtige Änderung der geltenden Richtlinie über Nähe zu anderen EarthCaches machen: Die Erwartung des bald zu umgesetzt werden Nähe Leitlinie für EarthCaches ist es, den Raum um eine bestehende EarthCache zu respektieren und die einzigartige Lektion zu erkennen bereits vorgestellt.

In Zukunft werden wir das Recht vorbehält, von der Veröffentlichung EarthCaches zu unterlassen, die derzeit im wesentlichen die gleiche oder ähnliche Inhalte über eine bestimmte geologische Besonderheit. Umgekehrt, behalten wir uns das Recht auf einen EarthCache in der Nähe auf einem anderen veröffentlichen EarthCache, wenn wir glauben, dass es eine deutliche geologischen Lektion präsentiert.

Die aktuellen Richtlinien für Urlaub EarthCaches bleibt, wie es für den Augenblick. Die EarthCache Team hat beschlossen, keine weiteren Änderungen zu diesem Zeitpunkt zu machen.

Wir glauben, dass diese Entscheidungen am besten für die langfristige Gesundheit des Programms sind.

Eine aktualisierte Liste der Leitlinien wird vor dem Start des neuen Systems freigegeben werden.

Thanks to Babel Fish, here is the German to English translation:

"it is always unfortunate that one must puzzle always somewhat around which it actually goes here. I took the liberty on the fast that whole one googles simply with to translate. As still enthusiastic EC fan I may not recognize however large changes on our old guidelines. After my understanding the area or distance to another EC is probably to be respected and it is also not same contents or detail to then have. Turned around there is to be exceptions probably nevertheless, if the new EC refers to completely different geological details. For me would be the most important that I can make far ECs in the form of a Multis or a Mystery or in combination and the distance to a Tradi plays further none all to large role. If not, I would be very much disappointed. Copy with googles freely translated! Attention it does not concern a correct English translation geoaware post office Dec 7 2009, 03:46 PM

"I thank you all for your feedback in these forums and emails. The EarthCache team decided, an important change of the valid guideline over proximity other EarthCaches to make: The expectation to be soon too converted proximity of guideline for EarthCaches is it to respect the area around an existing EarthCache and to recognize the singular lesson already presented. In the future we the right reserves to omit from the publication EarthCaches those at present essentially the same or similar contents over a certain geological characteristic. Turned around, we keep the right to a EarthCache in the proximity on another publish ourselves EarthCache, if we believe that it presents a clear geological lesson. The current guidelines for vacation EarthCaches remains, like it for the instant. The EarthCache team decided to make no further changes at this time. We believe that these decisions at the best for the long-term health of the program are. An updated list of the guidelines will be released before the start of the new system."

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

As the system will be based on the Groundspeak submittal process: Are there actually any changes to the review process? Unfortunately I couldn't find any details of this in the announcements ...

thx

My guess is there's gonna be a lot of changes or GroundSpeaks got a whole lot of programing to do! Or on the other hand, there may be no changes other than who you submit your EC to? Who knows? We are all waiting with baited breath! Whatever the heck that means! ;)

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL EARTHCACHERS!

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

As the system will be based on the Groundspeak submittal process: Are there actually any changes to the review process? Unfortunately I couldn't find any details of this in the announcements ...

thx

My guess is there's gonna be a lot of changes or GroundSpeaks got a whole lot of programing to do! Or on the other hand, there may be no changes other than who you submit your EC to? Who knows? We are all waiting with baited breath! Whatever the heck that means! :anibad:

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL EARTHCACHERS!

Not much change if they just get the non-EC reviewers to ignore the listings... like I know how behind-the-scenes works. :P

I already verified the publishing end of things works when submitting our last EC in October. The land manger wanted to see a draft before approval, so I drafted in gc.com (called it "Traditional"), made the listing non-active, and emailed them a copy. Once it was approved, I activated it and sent a note to geoaware with the GC number. The local reviewer disabled it so they wouldn't have it on their list. As geoaware was busy, I got no response for a week. So I submitted a note-only through the earthcache.com form just in case, and then reactivated it so geoaware could see it. That elicited a please-be-patient email from geoaware and another disabling by the reviewer (said geoaware would be able to see it anyway). geoaware then came back and said to enter it into the form like the others, so I did. I must have reactivated the draft again too as the local reviewer, who was now tired of notifications from my doing-it-different antics threatened (understandably) to archive it!

In the end geoaware changed my draft "Traditional" type to EarthCache and published it just the same. Although getting it formatted and approved was easier (better if you don't use IE browser), I definitely made the review process way too messy. :D I'm guessing it will be much smoother now.

Edited by Grasshoppers&Ant