Geocoins

Firefly24

If this has been posted before, please forgive me....this is my first time posting.

I like to collect geocoins and want to make them trackable for people to discover at events. Every time I activate a coin, it shows up in my inventory on the geocaching.com site. I actually wish there was a way to prevent that from happening because if I have picked up any found coins from a cache, I end up trying to sort through what coins belong to me and what coins I need to drop. I don't need to see MY coins when I'm logging visits to caches or trying to indicate where I've dropped a coin; is anyone else plagued with this as well? I'm considering not activating any more of my coins because it is starting to turn into quite a problem for me.

I know there are a lot of people out there with so many many more coins than I can even imagine; do you know of any way around this problem? Do you simply not activate your coins?

Here's my way around that problem: I have an unlisted cache* where I store all the coins that I own but have not released. You can see this cache if you look at my trackable items, but if you click on the link to that cache you won't be able to view it.

*When you create a cache there is a box that reads "Yes, this cache is currently active (Reviewers will not see this listing unless box is checked)". As long as you never click that box the reviewers will never see the cache in their queue and it won't be listed.

Some folks deal with this issue by creating a separate account to serve as a holding spot for geocoins they own. You could create an account like Geocoins of Firefly24 for coins you own and move your coins over using the same process that is used for transferring ownership of geocaches. For geocoins or travel bugs, use the number starting with TB instead of the GC shown below.

To have another geocacher adopt your cache, please go to this web page: www.geocaching.com/adopt

Once there, enter the GC Code (GC?????) of the cache and click on the lookup button; then enter the geocaching account name of the person you want to take ownership and click the user lookup button. At this point you may add a message in the text box if you want, and when ready click on the Send Adoption Request button. The system will generate an e-mail to the prospective new owner, and once that person clicks on the acceptance link the ownership transfer is complete.

Hope this helps.

-Brad

If this has been posted before, please forgive me....this is my first time posting.

I like to collect geocoins and want to make them trackable for people to discover at events. Every time I activate a coin, it shows up in my inventory on the geocaching.com site. I actually wish there was a way to prevent that from happening because if I have picked up any found coins from a cache, I end up trying to sort through what coins belong to me and what coins I need to drop. I don't need to see MY coins when I'm logging visits to caches or trying to indicate where I've dropped a coin; is anyone else plagued with this as well? I'm considering not activating any more of my coins because it is starting to turn into quite a problem for me.

I know there are a lot of people out there with so many many more coins than I can even imagine; do you know of any way around this problem? Do you simply not activate your coins?

You can place the coins out to the Unknown Location. This will keep them in your personal inventory but out of your Drop inventory. (Plus it doesn't add bogus mileage by placing them in an unlisted cache.

Access the coin page and under Trackable Item Options is the option "Mark item Missing". Click Go.

The coins can still be Discovered (if you share the tracking number) without having to pull them back out of the Unknown Location.

A simple Grab log will pull them back into your Drop inventory.

You can place the coins out to the Unknown Location. This will keep them in your personal inventory but out of your Drop inventory. (Plus it doesn't add bogus mileage by placing them in an unlisted cache.

My unlisted cache is also my home coords. If they ever move from there the mileage will be legit. I usually dip all my new bugs and coins in this cache to record mileage starting from "home". I also dip most bugs and coins that I find in here before moving them on to a new location. In my mind, this is actually more accurate because it logs mileage for the time they were at "home base". No complaints from bug/coin owners so far- but I would change this practice if that weren't the case.

My unlisted cache is also my home coords. If they ever move from there the mileage will be legit. I usually dip all my new bugs and coins in this cache to record mileage starting from "home". I also dip most bugs and coins that I find in here before moving them on to a new location. In my mind, this is actually more accurate because it logs mileage for the time they were at "home base". No complaints from bug/coin owners so far- but I would change this practice if that weren't the case.

Seems somewhat virtual if you ask me.

Seems somewhat virtual if you ask me.

I'll start a new thread in the TB forum so we don't get too off-topic.