Oregon battery chargers

I don't have an Oregon yet, it's on order from Santa :D .

I'm planning to order an adaptor so that I can use it in the car without eating the batteries. A web search led me to this in car charger yet when I asked on our more local UK forum I was told that one can't charge batteries without removing them from the unit. I'm therefore slightly perplexed as to whether this is the correct tool for the job. Now I'm no tecci so know little about electricity but why sell chargers if you can't charge? They also sell a mains charger, again why?

Thanks in advance for any explanation.

Perplexed :laughing:

You can't charge the batts while inside the gps, you can charge the batteries outside the gps

In the car (with a carcharger or at home)

Basically there was a choice, replaceable batteries (rechargeable or not) or not replaceable (rechargeable inside)

If you connect a charger with alkalines in the gps the batts might explode, to be sure they made it not inside chargeable.

You can however connect you gps to the usb cable and a cigarettelighter USBplug, on that moment the Gps will be usable and won't drain the batteries.

Be sure to have NiMh at least 2500 Mah

You only need a Usb lighterplug (2 - 3 $), you should have the miniusb supplied with the Gps

The carbattery is acting as powersupply.

To charge the batts look for a homecharger, sometimes these also have a lighterplug and are usable as a battery carcharger.

Looked at that site, AFAIK this is not possible.

Edited by splashy

Thanks splashy - does that mean that the charger I found, which is much cheaper than Garmin's own, can be used as a power supply, it will just not charge the batteries?

Your device may go into USB storage mode. If it happens, just change your Oregon USB setting to Spanner and answer "no" when plugging it into car power (and answer "yes" when plugging into computer, obviously). This page describes it in a lot more detail:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Power#toc9