KZ1547

mjcongleton

I did KZ1547 today. I think the mark is a metal rod set in a square stone. Others who logged this only mention a stone marker with the same of the county on each side. Picture here.

I think the actual mark is the square with the metal rod sticking out, but am I right? Could it be the stone pictured above?

Also I know, I need to get a camera and carry it with me.

My second day at this: Found 3 (if this one counts) DNF 1 (which I believe does not exist anymore since it was embedded in a building which is not standing anymore)

Edit: Just reread the datasheet. Says marker is a DB = Bench mark disk, description says mounted on top of a cement monument.

Maybe I didn't find it after all.

Edited by mjcongleton

mjcongleton--

There's some potential ambiguity in the data sheet. The description does not use the word "mounted." It says "The top of a county line marker." Such phrasing usually means that the mark is the top of the county line marker. You are correct, though, in noticing that DB up in the setting lines. We aren't sure that's trustworthy. If it is, we doubt that you even found the right marker, since there's no evidence in the picture that a disk was ever set in the top of it. It wouldn't have been set in such a way as to preserve the perfect pyramidal shape of the top; the top would have been drilled and recessed to receive the disk, and the recess would be evident if the disk had been pulled out.

Cheers,

The monument is visible in the google street level imagery and seems like to me to be in the right position. The county line is clearly marked with road signs and the monument is relatively certain a county line monument. A BM elevation taken on the top of the monument when it was upright seems possible. I think the DB description is likely erroneous unless a disk was placed in that drill hole which seems unlikely since the top of the monument is not level. There could be or could have been a small metal plug or pin in that hole, and that was close enough for someone to code it as DB into the system. Since the description is county line monument, there is unlikely another one nearby that would properly fit that description.

My opinion anyway.

So I guess the best I can say is that I MAY have found the mark, but there could also be a disk in a cement slab somewhere in the area as well.

Edited by jwahl

I'd want a very careful look into the dimple on what was the top of the post. I like the theory there used to be something smaller than a standard disk placed there. How does the 29 foot distance check?

I guess there is no picture of the object with the metal rod? Rods in concrete are commonly used by Iowa DOT to mark right of way or highway station positions, and I've never seen one of them show up in the NGS data base. See logs for MH0702, where one was mistaken for the station.

72593_100.jpg