Palm Z 22 compatability with Windows7

I had finally gotten used to using my Palm z 22 for paperless caching. My laptop broke while on vacation and I purchased a new one. I wanted to load a PQ using cachmante. GSAK loaded fine but I could not get my Palm stuff on the laptop. I contacted Palm and the guy told me that Palm z 22 is not compatable with windows 7 as it is a 64 -bit OS and the Palm is a 32-bit OS Can anybody help me on this problem as I want to stay paperless and do like using the Palm with my 60csx Thanks

First we should establish with version of Windows 7 grouchmedic has.

grouchymedic, is it the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version? It makes a really big difference.

...ken...

Agreed, but do the Vista 32 bit drivers work with 32 bit windows 7? I have no experience with 7.

Jim

grouchymedic, is it the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version? It makes a really big difference.

...ken...

Agreed, but do the Vista 32 bit drivers work with 32 bit windows 7?

Yep, they do. If you think of Windows 7 as "Vista SP3" you've pretty much got it cased.

...ken...

...ken...

Yep, they do. If you think of Windows 7 as "Vista SP3" you've pretty much got it cased.

...ken...

...ken...

...ken...

...ken...

...ken...

I have the 64 bit. I see that Palm does not plan on adding the necessary driver. I like cache mate on the Palm and want to stay wireless. Even getting a newer Palm doesn't seem to be an option. Any Ideas?

I really don't get why so many people jump to a 64 bit O/S it really doesn't have that much of a performance edge for most peoples needs, and look at all the trouble it can cause, lol

In this case, the OP didn't have much choice. It came on the laptop he just bought, and there are no compatible drivers for such an old piece of hardware.

To the OP: Can you run GSAK or whatever you're using to connect to the Palm in XP Mode?

I really don't get why so many people jump to a 64 bit O/S it really doesn't have that much of a performance edge for most peoples needs, and look at all the trouble it can cause, lol

In this case, the OP didn't have much choice. It came on the laptop he just bought, and there are no compatible drivers for such an old piece of hardware.

To the OP: Can you run GSAK or whatever you're using to connect to the Palm in XP Mode?

I have always downloaded to my 60csx from GSAK and then sent it to Cachemate which put it on the Palm. I have only had that Palm for 2-3 years as I drove over my last one so it wasn't exactly an old piece of hardware. Can you somehow change the Win 7 to run in XP mode. I have been suggested to get a Garman nuvi and download to the POI on it and to use that. I hope that it is 64-bit compatible if I do that. All this to save trees ( and time )

I have been suggested to get a Garman nuvi and download to the POI on it and to use that. I hope that it is 64-bit compatible if I do that. All this to save trees ( and time )

GSAK + Nuvi macro works just fine on 64 bit.

You gain the ability to see nearest cache on top automatically.

You lose the ability to enter logs / notes, and to delete a cache on the unit itself, meaning that found cache will keep showing up.

It doesn't really save any time, since you'll be spending even more time geocaching ;)

I have installed Virtual PC which is supposed to run as if in XP... still can't get my Palm Z22 to sync. The computer is Windows 7 64bit. Has anybody found a solution to this short of buying a new hand held device for paperless caching?

Have you set up the usb connnection? without the connection setup correctly hot sync manager won't function. With a Z22 your pretty much screwed if you can't get the usb connection working. With other palms that have the SD card slot moving files back and forth is pretty painless using the SD card.

Problem with running virtual box or a similar package is you need a copy of another OS like Win XP to run in it. In the end you'll have to spend some money to either get a new device or to get what is needed to continue using the Palm. I would suggest saving up for a good paperless GPSr.

You'd hate doing what I do then.. I have an old Compaq iPaq 3970 Pocket-PC..

slika-Compaq-iPAQ-3970--410371x640.jpg

Now, mind you, you would expect, Microsoft Windows-2003 Mobile, should be back compatible.. Not Likely! So.. I use the Pocket-PC for semi-paperless.. I export an old GSAK HTML (The E-Reader macro, pre-Kindle.) export database look-up to a 2GB SD card, into the unit itself.. Add a PCMCIA to Compact-Flash card reader, with another 2GB CF card, which I will write field notes using Pocket-Word (which, I'm even more surprised, Microsoft no-longer supports!) then, when I get back home, I'll simply unplug the cards, plug them into a multi-card reader, update the database, and cut/paste the field notes to the cache pages. Though, I'm finding the Magellan Explorist-GC great for caching, it takes forever trying to joy-type the field note.. so, I'll just record a audio note, and jot-down TB or Geocoin numbers for "Spotted" logs.

Okay, I've got GREAT news for all those who are trying to get their Palm devices to sync in Windows 7 64-bit!!

Check out this discussion.

http://forums.palm.com/t5/Windows-HotSync/64-Bit-Palm-Desktop-Drivers-are-HERE/td-p/337516

I had Hotsync working with my Garmin iQue 3600 and 3600A, my Palm T|X and my Palm Centro in the XP Mode virtual PC that you can use freely if you have one of the high end versions of Win7 (I have Ultimate 64-bit) and it worked, mostly. But it was a pain trying to get the timing just right when capturing the USB port. It usually took at least three or more tries.

Then I followed the instructions in the thread linked above. Now I have Hotsync working in native Windows 7 64-bit with all four of the above devices on two different USB ports: one that has the iQue desktop cradle connected and the other that has the PALM T|X sync cable connected (used for the T|X and the Centro).

One thing I have discovered, and I think it's mentioned in the linked thread, is that the Access v6.2 Palm Desktop is not recommended. The Palm v4.2 Palm Desktop installation works okay but it also has some issues (with the Desktop apps, not the Hotsync manager).

My personal preference is to use Garmin's version 4.1 of the Palm Desktop. It works great with all four of my devices. For anyone who wants to give it a try, it's available here:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00264-00

Enjoy!!

...ken...