Etrex Vista HCx MapSource Error Message

I have spent a lot of hours trying to transfer the entire CNNANT2008, the entire CNNANT2010.3, and portions of Topo 24k West maps in a map set from MapSource to my Vista HCx with a 4gb card. Everytime after going through creating index then creating mapset, I get an error message and no maps are installed to Visat. I copied the message to my clipboard and sent it to Garmin but I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help since they are currently closed? Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. This is the clipboard contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>

<ErrorReport xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/ApplicationErrors/v1">

<Error>

<Exception>

<SourceCodeLocation>

<SourceFileName>GDX_GPSXFERTHREAD.CPP</SourceFileName>

<SourceFileLine>670</SourceFileLine>

</SourceCodeLocation>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

<VersionMajor>6</VersionMajor>

<VersionMinor>15</VersionMinor>

<BuildMajor>7</BuildMajor>

<BuildMinor>0</BuildMinor>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Time>Sep 21 2009, 15:33:52</Time>

<Builder>sqa</Builder>

</Build>

<LanguageID>1033</LanguageID>

<PartNumber>006-A0041-00</PartNumber>

</Application>

<Computer>

<OperatingSystem>Windows XP Service Pack 3</OperatingSystem>

<Processor>x86, Processor Level: 6, Processors:2, Model: 28 Stepping: 2</Processor>

<RamSize>1036164</RamSize>

</Computer>

<Time>2009-12-06T06:27:51Z</Time>

</Error>

<Error>

<Exception>

<SourceCodeLocation>

<SourceFileName>GDX_GPSXFERTHREAD.CPP</SourceFileName>

<SourceFileLine>670</SourceFileLine>

</SourceCodeLocation>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

<VersionMajor>6</VersionMajor>

<VersionMinor>15</VersionMinor>

<BuildMajor>7</BuildMajor>

<BuildMinor>0</BuildMinor>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Time>Sep 21 2009, 15:33:52</Time>

<Builder>sqa</Builder>

</Build>

<LanguageID>1033</LanguageID>

<PartNumber>006-A0041-00</PartNumber>

</Application>

<Computer>

<OperatingSystem>Windows XP Service Pack 3</OperatingSystem>

<Processor>x86, Processor Level: 6, Processors:2, Model: 28 Stepping: 2</Processor>

<RamSize>1036164</RamSize>

</Computer>

<Time>2009-12-06T17:52:10Z</Time>

</Error>

</ErrorReport>

Edited by Oregon*Trail

I have found it better to put the memory card into a memory card reader and then transfer the maps from mapsource to that. It works a lot faster for me than using the USB interface directly into the GPS. Mapsource can recognize a memory card in a reader for this purpose. Also i have a 2GB card, and i have trouble filling it even to 1GB of data as i dont need that much space. There is a limit on the map segments you can load, i think it is 2025. With this many selected i am still less than 1GB.

Just a quick scan of the error message seems to suggest is it in the transfer step, so trying the memory card reader might be a good chance.

You could also transfer just a few maps to test it all out, this is a lot faster.

Do you have the software version on your Vista that supports maps larger than 2GB? It seems to me that earlier releases of the HCx units did not support maps larger than 2GB. I could be wrong, but that might be a problem. Just the two CNNA mapsets are over 2.2GB without any topo selections.

As was already mentioned, you also need to pay attention to the limit of the number of maps you load. 2025 was mentioned and I think that's right. It's easy to hit that with the topos.

The suggestion of putting your card in a card reader to load the maps is an excellent one. I won't do it any other way. Too many potential headaches and it takes way too long the other way.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

Make sure you have the SD card plugged into the reader when you click to "TRANSFER > Send To Device". If you have an SD card plugged in, Mapsource will find it and it will be listed in the same dropdown list that your Vista is listed. It will show with a hard drive letter designation (eg. F: or whatever). Just select it instead of the Vista and you'll be cooking.

By the way, I hope you saw my note in the other thread that you do not need to load both versions of CNNA. So that should also minimize your headaches if you don't have an awfully good reason for also wanting to load 2008.

...ken...

As someone else pointed out, the TOPO maps utilze a lot of map segments that will quickly fill the max. I utilize both topo and navigator on my 60csx but only have California, Nevada, and Oregon loaded. This does not fill up my total at all on a 2gb card.

I would try loading only what you need and what you might need.