Did you ever find a cache...

DENelson83

I haven't had to use that many attempts on one cache yet, but there have been a couple of caches that took me seven attempts each before finally finding them. I call such caches "time-wasters".

Only one cache, so far, has had me go back to it 4 times. I still haven't found it and get really miffed when I see logs that say "a nice quick and easy cache". I have spent well over an hour looking for it and had an extra pair of eyes. Still pulling DNF on it.

I asked the CO for a hint but they have never replied. I'm guessing they just don't want their cache found.

I have vowed to not look for it again. It stopped being fun the second time.

Twice. Both times a FTF with an excellant FTF prize (got 'em both :D

Otherwise, we go by "three strikes - I'm out" and only if they're within our comfortable distance range. These are usually "quick 'n easy" finds by others (most times a 1/1.)

Sometimes we'll go back if a new one is close.

So many out there and gas the way it is now, it's not worth getting frazzled over.

Like bittsen's statement, when it's no longer fun - we're done.

It took me five times to Find one near my home once. Some folks find it on the first try, so I wouldn't characterize it as a NIH type hide, just fairly tough.

I don't have a problem with such hides if they are rated correctly. I can always take the option of not hunting for it if I don't have the time.

In general, if it's near home, I'll tend to go back if I'm in the neighborhood. If I'm travelling and pressed for time, it's usually a skiperoo.

It's only a time waster if you allow it to be. If I'm not having fun, then I stop looking. I know where the 'ignore' button is!

Yup, there is one that I've DNFed four times. And I'm not going back! That's about my limit. Uless, of course, it intrigues me! There's another that took four tries. For that one, I might have continued searching.

This does not take into account the nineteen stage mystery cache that took my nine months. That one I HAD to find! Or the twelve stage multi that took six months.

There are many that I've never gone back for a second try. DNF and Do Not Care! As I said, it only wastes your time if you let it. Lots of other caches to search for!

I haven't had to use that many attempts on one cache yet, but there have been a couple of caches that took me seven attempts each before finally finding them. I call such caches "time-wasters".

Time-wasters is a bit on the strong side, like maybe you feel entitled to a quick find.

I'd call them tough. In some cases even evil... like my now-adopted-out Rambler's Evil Micro cache. Lots of folks DNF that one repeatedly before calling me for a clue! Not so many DNF's posted on it, but it's just up the street from my house, I see cachers looking for it regularly who don't post a DNF!

Anyhoo, one of my most embarrassing finds was a simple zip-loc bag wrapped in camo tape slipped in the crack of a park picnic table. I hunted for that cache six different times, spending quite a lot of time there. On the seventh trip I took my son, who found it in maybe 90 seconds. "Here it is, Dad, what's your problem?" :D

I just cleared one tonight that I have officially (meaning, logged) DNF'd two times, both were roughly two years ago. I'm pretty certain that I also DNF'd it a 3rd time but (blushing here...) did not log it. I found it, at last, after almost walking away, and it was literally right in my face!! FInding it was a matter of turning my head by about 4 inches, and it was right at eye level, just in a knothole, covered with camo tape... nothing special... no big deal.

Time waster? I guess I might have thought so until tonigh. But not after I finally found that sucker!!

Time-wasters is a bit on the strong side, like maybe you feel entitled to a quick find.

I'd call them tough. In some cases even evil... like my now-adopted-out Rambler's Evil Micro cache. Lots of folks DNF that one repeatedly before calling me for a clue! Not so many DNF's posted on it, but it's just up the street from my house, I see cachers looking for it regularly who don't post a DNF!

Anyhoo, one of my most embarrassing finds was a simple zip-loc bag wrapped in camo tape slipped in the crack of a park picnic table. I hunted for that cache six different times, spending quite a lot of time there. On the seventh trip I took my son, who found it in maybe 90 seconds. "Here it is, Dad, what's your problem?" :D

I see nothing wrong with those who want quick and easy finds. Isn't that what the "game" is supposed to be? Grab GPS, go to coordinates, find cache, sign log.

Some people want to make the game a whole lot more than its core and good for them. I might even look for a tough find from time to time but I detest NIH caches and will avoid them like the plague. If I think someone is having fun stumping a cacher, they go on my ignore list. I am in it for the find, and not in it to get skunked. When it gets to that point it becomes a game of "grab gps, go to close coordinates, get frustrated, log DNF. For some reason, it just doesn't have as much appeal that way.

It's that reason that I am fully willing to give someone the exact location of my caches if they ask.

...When it gets to that point it becomes a game of "grab gps, go to close coordinates, get frustrated, log DNF. For some reason, it just doesn't have as much appeal that way.

Which is why the Difficulty rating exists. If you don't like to hunt difficult caches don't hunt the ones with high difficulty ratings.

It's that reason that I am fully willing to give someone the exact location of my caches if they ask.

Me too. I don't want any cacher to ever leave one of my caches frustrated. I post my phone number in the listing and tell them that they are welcome to call for a clue, and I will tell them as little or as much as they want to know.

Well, time-waster if it frustrates you, no longer a time-waster once you finally find it.

I might even look for a tough find from time to time but I detest NIH caches and will avoid them like the plague.

Stop me there but... What does 'NIH' stand for? 'Not in here'?

I found 1 cache on my 3rd try. The previous 2 tries I had the kids along and their attention span is not quite long enough for a well hidden cache. I have found a handful of caches on the second try, only one of which were the kids along on both tries.

Otherwise, there aren't anf DNFs for me. I seem to have the combination of persistance and imagination that makes the finds. I am sure I will have problems in the future and am actually looking forward to the fun.

Well, time-waster if it frustrates you, no longer a time-waster once you finally find it.

I might even look for a tough find from time to time but I detest NIH caches and will avoid them like the plague.

Stop me there but... What does 'NIH' stand for? 'Not in here'?

NIH = Needle in haystack. e.g. a fake pebble tossed in an area with 9999999999999999999999 other pebbles.

Found one yesterday that I had several DNF's on dating back to the spring. And a few other times I was in the general area, but not in the mood for that particular hunt. And it still took me almost 30 minutes yesterday. It was right where I was looking and the coords were very good, it was just hard to spot for me. Others mention it as being tricky as well, but I don't think anyone else posted multiple DNF's.

I found one on my third attempt. The cache closest to my house (300m) I have looked for 5 times, and still can't find it. However, the last 10 logs are now DNFs, so the last time or two it may have been missing (it is in a very high muggle area). I plan on not searching again untill someone else posts a found log, or it gets a maintanence log.

Allright, I'll own up to this one:

I found GC1V5N7 on my fourth visit. AFTER I emailed the owner for a hint.

It was before I started reading the forums, and I only had a few finds. I'd never seen anything hidden in such a spot before, and had no idea that these items had "moving parts" under which things could be hidden.

Now, of course, I've seen a bunch of them and don't really care to see any more. But, this being my first, I thought at the time that it was extremely clever.

There have been one or two that it took multiple attempts. However I cache in a style where I will go onto the local college campus where there a quite a few stashed in a resonable small area (all easy walking distance from one another). So I will spend 15 minutes or so, narrow down where it's not, and walk on to the next one. I just keep going back, not for the need of a smiley, but I am a completionist and stubborn, and refuse to let the cache win!! ;)

Only one cache, so far, has had me go back to it 4 times. I still haven't found it and get really miffed when I see logs that say "a nice quick and easy cache". I have spent well over an hour looking for it and had an extra pair of eyes. Still pulling DNF on it.

I asked the CO for a hint but they have never replied. I'm guessing they just don't want their cache found.

I doubt that you'd find anyone that has placed a cache that "don't want their cache found.". There's a difference between a cache that a CO wants to be difficult to find, and one that a CO doesn't want found at all.

Take for example, Shelter III. It's had only 3 finds and there are, last I checked, 200 posted DNFs. From logs that I have read, the CO has frequently confirmed that the cache is there, thus ensuring that it is findable. It's just very, very difficult to find. It's rated accordingly.

I would guess that quite a few cachers have one or more caches that become a nemesis. I had one that took me 8 or 9 attempts to find. It had been found several times while I was piling up DNFs. It was in an area that didn't get really good reception, is a very popular scenic location in town (near a large waterfall), and during the winter frequently has enough snow on the ground that made the original hiding spot more difficult. It was also muggled a couple of times and the location moved. Because it's also located in one of our many rocky gorges there are a gazillion possible hiding spots. When I finally did find it I had in hand about 2 minutes after I parked my car.

I doubt that you'd find anyone that has placed a cache that "don't want their cache found.". There's a difference between a cache that a CO wants to be difficult to find, and one that a CO doesn't want found at all.

Take for example, Shelter III. It's had only 3 finds and there are, last I checked, 200 posted DNFs. From logs that I have read, the CO has frequently confirmed that the cache is there, thus ensuring that it is findable. It's just very, very difficult to find. It's rated accordingly.

I would guess that quite a few cachers have one or more caches that become a nemesis. I had one that took me 8 or 9 attempts to find. It had been found several times while I was piling up DNFs. It was in an area that didn't get really good reception, is a very popular scenic location in town (near a large waterfall), and during the winter frequently has enough snow on the ground that made the original hiding spot more difficult. It was also muggled a couple of times and the location moved. Because it's also located in one of our many rocky gorges there are a gazillion possible hiding spots. When I finally did find it I had in hand about 2 minutes after I parked my car.

I would bet money that there are cachers out there that get a real kick out of people posting DNFs on their caches. More so than when they get a find. Those are the caches I don't like to look for.

Just sayin'

I would bet money that there are cachers out there that get a real kick out of people posting DNFs on their caches. More so than when they get a find. Those are the caches I don't like to look for.

Just sayin'

I know some puzzle cachers like that. A few of their caches have never been found, and they love it! Come in our local forum and drop a 'hint' every once in a while... we don't know if the hints are any good since no one can find the darn things!

I am sure that if I ever find one of them I will swap sides and tell DNFers "What, you can't find it? I did!" ;)

Just sayin'

I wouldn't disagree with that. I have found that more often than not DNF logs on really difficult caches (the cache really is where it was hidden) are more entertaining than found it logs. Again, the CO is not trying to make a cache that can not be found, but one that is very difficult to find. If you read the logs on Shelter III and Shelter II it's pretty obvious that the local community is enjoying the challenge. There are even a couple of videos that were posted of large groups of caches trying to find the cache. I suspect that most in that area know about the cache, many of tried (and failed) to find it, and some keeping on going back to try again. The very few that *have* found it probably have a bit of admiration from the community for their ability to find what so many others have tried and failed to do.

Easy finds and difficult finds are all part of the game.

I need to preface this post by admitting that I am one of the worst cachers to ever hunt for tupperware and ammo cans. It wasn't until kind or recently that I felt comfortable enough to even start logging my DNFs and it wasn't until I got my newest GPSr that has a field note capability that I can say with certaintly that I'm now logging all my DNFs. For some reason logging DNFs seem to slip my mind much more than logging finds (I suspect that is true with a lot of folks).

Anyways, there are LOTS of caches that have given me fits, but there is one that I just never seemed to be able to totally forget about even though every time I searched for it I swore I'd never go back looking for it again. It is Tree Hollow and it's definitely been a toughy for me. While I have to admit to being very frustrated with it and not always enjoying my searches for it I have to say that I think when I finally found it it moved it from being one of my most hated caches to one of my most memorable ones. All I can say is thank goodness most caches don't stick in my mind and haunt me like this one did.

Realistically though if there weren't the tough ones then it would be a game that would bet boring real quickly. Of course it's hard to focus on that while you're having an incredibly difficult time finding the cache that everybody else logs as a very easy park and grab.

I have had several of these and I admit to becoming quite obsessed; I can't stand seeing the cache icon on the map surrounded by smileys....I must find it; I signed up for it, and I feel like I can't just walk away.

After 4 or 5 attempts, I've been able to find it, generally; I typically "overthink" and assume that it's been placed in some outrageously clever way in some unbelievably hard-to-get spot. Almost always, after finding it, I realize how foolish I was; the cache is listed as 1 star and my way of thinking turned it into a 5.

There is one that I still haven't conquered; it's simple, many people have found it, and located in an alley behind some garbage bins. What does turn this into a 3 or higher is that I typically do geocaching at night, so not only am I having to push through a lot of garbage (and moving big heavy bins), it's also really dark. The rats look at me like I'm crazy (and I guess I am :)).

We are from Southern Iowa. One of our favorite places to "run away to" is Hannibal, Missouri. We tried 3 times to find a multi called Eagle Eye. After we posted our 3rd DNF on the cache, the CO e-mailed us and said they were sorry we had such trouble. They gave us a hint and the next time we were in Hannibal,(several months later) we found it. :) Now for the rest of the story. We met up with the CO at one of our events and look forward to seeing them when we go to Hannibal. We just love caching. The places we've seen, the frustrations of DNF's, and the awesome people we have met. Had we found that cache the first time, probably never would have such great friends that we have now in Hannibal.

I have 2 caches that I've been to twice now.

The 1st one is regular size ammo can. Both times I spent the majority of the day there. Terrain is a 4 and difficulty is a 2, though in alot of the logs people have said the difficulty should be higher. Most people have found it, some even said it was a quick find. I have been the last one to post in the log and both are DNF's... I emailed the CO for a hint and even mentioned that there was trash around the area and that I'm not for sure if it's still there and didn't get a reply. In my last log I even put that "Not sure if it's me or it's been muggled." And no recent maintenance check from the CO since I've emailed him and logged in 2 DNF's. This one is definitely a NIH, I call it "boulder scrambling" because there a tons of huge boulders everywhere.

I am getting tired of bruised knee's and sore feet, ankles and shoulders. Though I want to find it and cross it off my list forever...so maybe I'll be back for a third visit, or maybe not!

The 2nd one is a micro. And I am not the only one that's logged it as a DNF recently. I never emailed them, though one of the other ones that logged it as a DNF did and got a hint and even stated in his log that even with the hint it was a DNF.

There is one a couple of blocks from home in a small park. We have looked for it three times now and haven't found it. I finally emailed the CO asking him if it was what I thought it was. He said yes it is and gave me a pretty detailed direction as to where it is. Only problem is... the ground is covered in a foot of snow now. Will have to wait till spring or even summer.

At first I felt a bit awkward about finding it with him giving me such detailed directions but then again, I pretty much told him where I thought it was and he just confirmed it so... It'll still involve a little bit of a search.

Bruce.

Edited by brslk

Rocks. I hate rocks. Rip Rap piles. They are the bane of my caching existence. A local cache required me to look 5 times...twice with my girls helping. 4 or 5 hours spent at the site. The frustration level of that hide was instantly replaced with a huge wave of relief when I finally had my paws on it. I sat there for a good 10 minutes, reading every log entry, checking out every single scrap of swag. Then I covered it up even better than I had found it!!

Rocks. I hate rocks. Rip Rap piles. They are the bane of my caching existence. A local cache required me to look 5 times...twice with my girls helping. 4 or 5 hours spent at the site. The frustration level of that hide was instantly replaced with a huge wave of relief when I finally had my paws on it. I sat there for a good 10 minutes, reading every log entry, checking out every single scrap of swag. Then I covered it up even better than I had found it!!

I have been working on one that has had many dnfs and the last finds were in 2008. the owner assures me that it is there and ok. I am beginning to think it is buried and we need to dig. They even gave new clues for us but the items in the clue are not around the important part of there clue.

why do I go back because I hate admitting defeat. The thrill will be in finding it and discovering it right under my nose all the time.

I won't search rock piles and I completely dread most "micro in a bush" type caches.

I had a cache that it took me three years to find. I would go search, get frustrated, swear I would never come back, and then 6 months later go back and repeat. I never asked for a hint. Finally One eve I found it. I was just thinking wrong the whole time. To tell he truth, I was kind of sad that I found it. I miss that section of woods.

Oh well on to the next one.

Peace

There's a cache a mile or so away from me which has elluded me on 3 separate visits. I'm giving it a rest for now, but will have another go at it as I turn over the possibilities in my mind of where it might be. As it's not a box of 1,000 film cans or a Pebble cache in a Rockery I don't view it as a time-waster.

The ones I dread, where I emit actual dread rays, are rocks, film cans and their like, which are time consuming by design. I consider turning away, but I'm such a masochist I plunge in anyway.

Quite possibly the worst are the well camoed caches under thick redwood canopy, where readings are spotty and its possible (and has happened) where the COs readings are suspect as well. That calls for turning off the GPSr and employing your Cache Fu.