Odd SWAG?

bittsen

I was thinking of what kind of SWAG to place in caches and got to thinking that not all swag needs to be.. well... SWAG. I think of swag as "Stuff We All Get" which includes McToys, Superballs, Stickers, Army men, etc.

What I thought at the time is that I have lots of useful stuff laying around that I will never use.

In one of my caches I have placed a book light and a new pair of 1157 (amber) tail light bulbs. I thought those would be useful to someone, wouldn't they?

Now I have something else I don't need anymore but was wondering if it's a good thing to put in a cache. My old cell phone. It's not pretty but it still works fine. I have the original packaging, accessories, owners manual, charger and extra battery. I was wondering if it would be good swag?

What do you think and what odd swag have you left or found that is out of the ordinary but still "good" swag?

Not good: Spent shotgun shells (wasn't there a big thread about this a while back :) )

Good: Right hand work glove (I have two left hand gloves with no right)

Hey, it was you who asked for "odd" swag...

I put an old cell phone with charger in a cache as a FTF prize. Turns out the second to find took it.

Edited by Andronicus

What do you think and what odd swag have you left or found that is out of the ordinary but still "good" swag?

I have found a roll of vinyl electrical tape and a used golf ball.

I have left screw driver sets. One was the small jewelers set and the other was the type that has a common handle with different tips that you change. I guess the odd thing was that I dropped them in two different caches, but the same cacher took both of them :)

Anything that is no longer useful to you, but might legitimatly be useful to someone else is good enough swag. since that Cell phone can still be activated on the companies that can use it, and could be used as a 911 access even if not activated, it's great swag. as far as I remember, even if a cell phone is not activated in any service, it can be used to call 911.

I was thinking of what kind of SWAG to place in caches and got to thinking that not all swag needs to be.. well... SWAG. I think of swag as "Stuff We All Get" which includes McToys, Superballs, Stickers, Army men, etc.

What I thought at the time is that I have lots of useful stuff laying around that I will never use.

In one of my caches I have placed a book light and a new pair of 1157 (amber) tail light bulbs. I thought those would be useful to someone, wouldn't they?

Now I have something else I don't need anymore but was wondering if it's a good thing to put in a cache. My old cell phone. It's not pretty but it still works fine. I have the original packaging, accessories, owners manual, charger and extra battery. I was wondering if it would be good swag?

Well Im fairly new to this 'sport' but I find it unfortunate that so many caches have, in my estimation, rather pitiful swag. Before you jump to conclusions about my comment, No, Im not in it for the Swag, but I do think if someone goes to the trouble of listing their Cache with a certain 'preferance', it would be nice to at least 'try' and stay with the Theme. I realize this isn't always possible but I've found some that did not remotely resemble what the CO intended for their cache. Most caches I find I always try and leave something I would enjoy finding myself, useful items, 'cool stuff', not plastic McHero's, Soldiers or 'junk'. Again, only my opinion... even though one man's 'junk' is suppose to be another man's 'treasure'... lets face it, sometimes Junk is just that, JUNK! I can't say as I blame CO's for often posting a note asking Cachers to trade fairly, trade even OR just sign the log. When I eventually hide one, I think I will do the same.

Edited by 90%Angel

I own a growing collection of paperback books. I enjoyed every one of them, and they are not doing anybody any good laying around in my closet. I have considered sealing them up in ziplock bags and dropping them off in caches here and there.

Or I might even put out a new hide, with paperback trading as the theme.

I own a growing collection of paperback books. I enjoyed every one of them, and they are not doing anybody any good laying around in my closet. I have considered sealing them up in ziplock bags and dropping them off in caches here and there.

Both are excellent ideas IMHO.

If you do, it certainly can't hurt to register them at Bookcrossing first, you might get a little extra fin for your efforts and generosity.

Wanna help me think of a name for the paperback trading cache?

Wanna help me think of a name for the paperback trading cache?

Papier Caché?

Browsing through the forums cuz the hubby works for the DOT and we are having a pre-blizzard storm. We have a cache called the Sand Prairie Library. It is on the Eddyville, Ia. sand prairie. Yes, Iowa does have a legitimate sand prairie. It is a huge ammo can filled with great books. We asked that no trashy books be put in it. We check it frequently to make sure there is nothing that would embarrass us or other cachers especially if they have children with them. Stole the idea from dazedandconfused from the Cedar Rapids area. We have received some really nice comments about the cache.

I don't think your old cell with all the fixings is odd swag at all, its actually pretty awesome. Though if i were you i would make sure i put it in a difficult cache, you know make them work for the goods.

Im actually considering putting my old ipod nano and the charger in a cache as a FTF prize. I already have a new ipod. The old one works perfectly fine, even if i did sell it it would only fetch me 20 bucks anyway. Most FTF prizes range in worth from 5,10 even 20 dollars anyway.

I just thought of another interesting hand made swag item.

What if you left a "grow kit" in caches? Of course it would have to be a truly waterproof cache but I think it could be cool.

When I was a kid, my parents were buying a house. As a little "thank you" the real estate agent gave kids a little grow kit. It was basically just a condiment container with a thick piece of yarn and a raw peanut plus the instructions to grow your own peanut plant. (Now, of course there are allergy concerns with peanuts).

So, I was thinking it would be really easy to make a grow kit with some sort of dried bean, the yarn, and instructions in the little condiment container and then sealing it in a plastic pouch (hermetically sealed). Placing it ONLY in waterproof containers (ie ammo cans).

What do you all think?

What if you left a "grow kit" in caches? Of course it would have to be a truly waterproof cache but I think it could be cool.

When I was a kid, my parents were buying a house. As a little "thank you" the real estate agent gave kids a little grow kit. It was basically just a condiment container with a thick piece of yarn and a raw peanut plus the instructions to grow your own peanut plant. (Now, of course there are allergy concerns with peanuts).

So, I was thinking it would be really easy to make a grow kit with some sort of dried bean, the yarn, and instructions in the little condiment container and then sealing it in a plastic pouch (hermetically sealed). Placing it ONLY in waterproof containers (ie ammo cans).

What do you all think?

Corn. Popcorn seeds grow extremely easy. I think it's a pretty cool idea.

A few kernels and instructions (with pictures) would be pretty neat for kids.

I once grew a popcorn kernel to three feet high in my bedroom. germinated it in wet paper towels in a desk drawer and then planted it. It almost wouldn't die.

What do you all think?

I was putting my mini monster farms into caches for a wile.

They where mini egg terrariums, with my secret CP media blend, instructions and about 20 fork leaf sundew seeds.

I also gave them to my kids for their classes every year.

Unfortunately I had to stop when my egg suppler decided that because of their popularity they need to increase the price from 25¢ to $1.00. Funny thing is after I stopped buying them their stock quantities only wend down by about 10 a month. They where only selling 20 before I started buying them. B)

Skeerue the kids tho, I would love to find seeds in a cache if they where identified.

I have also been considering a seed exchange themed cache, I just have to find someone with an over abundance of easy to grow carnivorous plant seeds.