garmin etrex vista hcx-I'm a newbie

My question: I have a map on my computer when I open the Map source CD. Why isn't there an option to install that into my Gps? Do I really have to purchase maps? I thought all GPS units came with the standard US Map?? Also, I'm mainly using this unit for Geocaching. Do I need both street AND topo maps?

Thanks for your help in advance.

According to what is in the eTrex Vista HCx reviews: http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps

"eTrex Vista HCx by Garmin

* Manufacturer: Garmin

* MSRP: $299.99

* Released: 2007

* Rating: Rating

* Reviews: 2885

* Owned: 15079

Built-in Americas basemap with automatic routing functions; off-route recalculation; turn-by-turn directions; WAAS-enabled; high-sensitivity GPS receiver; barometric altimeter; electronic compass; 176 x 220 pixel color display; waterproof and impact-resistant; runs up to 25 hours on 2 AA batteries"

Looks like it already has basemap installed.

No, all GPSr units do not necessarily have maps. Most all newer ones, yes.

About the street and topo question, that is hard to answer, but I think you already did by "....using this unit for Geocaching".

My question: I have a map on my computer when I open the Map source CD. Why isn't there an option to install that into my Gps? Do I really have to purchase maps? I thought all GPS units came with the standard US Map?? Also, I'm mainly using this unit for Geocaching. Do I need both street AND topo maps?

Thanks for your help in advance.

you do not need street or topo maps to use the unit for geocaching. not saying they won't help, but they are not necessary at all.