Thurus Geocoin

wenzelbub

Our new geocoin after the Naymlap-Geocoin and Travelstamps:

thurus_v1.gif

"Polished Gold + transparent red" might look like this:

thurus_v1_pg_red.gif

History of this coin:

About 5 month ago I asked a friend, if she could make an artwork for a geocoin :)

"Anything celtic would be nice" I told her and "some geometric and symmetry"

2 days later I got her idea:

thurus_entwurf1.gif

I started making a vector graphic's and tried a lot and it wasn't easy to go to work after a lot of short nights...

Of course, the coin should have a reference to geocaching, so I was looking for a gaelic saying:

"Gum biodh ràth le do thurus." = May your search be successful.

This saying is now written in Ogham on the outer ring.

The only question remaining was the back. I thought and thought and got the idea to invert the front. Haven't seen this before, i finished the artwork you can see above. :)

Some facts:

diameter: 2"

thickness: 3,5mm

color: Hard-enamel

weigth: as heavy as possible

of course trackable plus icon!

I do not know exactly the number of edition, will have to wait for the samples.

After getting the "ok" from GC and receiving sample coins I will start reservation/preorder.

About price:

Final price depends on total amount of minted coins. More coins = lower price.

Currently, with a total edition of 150 coins it will costs 9.00 EUR (incl. 19% TAX) and for 300 coins, the price is 8.00 EUR (incl. 19% TAX). Intermediate not excluded! Shipping not included!

Don't forget: If you are living in a non-EU-state, you don't have to pay 19% TAX!

Once I have pictures I will show you!

Thanks for reading, hope you'll like this coin.

Stefan

(PS: Sorry again for my english)

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I like the Inverted idea of the coin... Had you considered reversing the image on the back?? I've been contemplating that idea with a non trackable of my personal.

That way, the raised portions on one side would line directly to the same recessed portions on the other side.

Yes, I had this idea too. :laughing:

But if I mirror the complete front, the ogham is mirrored too and its not possible to "translate" it. How do you know front and back if you find this coin :laughing:

And to mirror everything expect the saying is half/half :D

Here is the mirrored front:

thurus_v1_2.gif

I like the Inverted idea of the coin... Had you considered reversing the image on the back?? I've been contemplating that idea with a non trackable of my personal.

That way, the raised portions on one side would line directly to the same recessed portions on the other side.

Yes, I had this idea too. :D

But if I mirror the complete front, the ogham is mirrored too and its not possible to "translate" it. How do you know front and back if you find this coin :D

And to mirror everything expect the saying is half/half :D

Here is the mirrored front:

thurus_v1_2.gif

Hmm.. after a couple of days thinking about reversing the front .. I'm undecided :D

Which backside do you like more?

1) Same like front but inverted levels (first post) or

2) Inverted and reversed front (last post)

Please help me!

Stefan

My question from an earlier post stands: is it possible to get them exactly opposite of each other?

front-level 1 is back-level 3 and front-level 3 is back-level 1 . Is that what you are asking about?

Maybe if you reverse and invert the whole design but keep the text translatable, that would be even greater!

That's a third option... but how about the legibility under transparent color? If bad, it doesn't matter and everyone will translate the saying on the front with text on level 1

Edited by wenzelbub

Funny you mention that as it's just the idea I had after reading about Jackalgirl's Yang tiger.

Now I see you've got Stefan thinking the same thing..... lol

Stefan, if you're going to have what will look like the same image at first glance on both sides I think it will be extra cool if one side is the die and the other the imprint. It would be a new twist to the many celtic designs that have come out this past year.

PS. I wouldn't worry about the legibility of the die or reversed side.... it adds to the puzzle.

Edited by Droo

Has there been any progress with this great looking coin idea?

Thanks for your request!

I still haven't sent the artwork for making sample coins, cause I have not enough time :)

Will be moving within next two month and my job gives me not really much spare time to finish the artwork.

In addition to this, I'm not really sure about platings and color .... probably I'll start a cointest.

Sorry for this delay :/

Stefan

WOOHOOOOO ARTWORK IS FINISHED :D

thurus_final_100.jpg

Groundspeak approved it and mint sent me an offer that looks nice.

I'll order 4 samplecoins, after getting them I'll post futher details.

(PS: There will be a cointest, winner will get a unique coin-edition limited to 3 coins (one for him, two for me)

greetings

wenzelbub / Stefan

After some emails with mint and several artworks my girlfriend and I decided to use the 1.75" version.

Samples are ordered and will be shipped around 20th.. probably I'll have pics from mint at this time too.

As soon as I have pics I'll start the cointest, so be prepaired to be creative :P

After receiving samples I'll let you know about the available versions and selling. I dither between presale and normal sale. I'm unsure about total amount of required coins for a normale sale.

More coins = lower price for you but more risk for me in probably not selling them.

greetings

Stefan

Edited by wenzelbub

SAMPLES ARE IN :):(:D

thurus_ac_front.JPGthurus_ac_back.JPG

Antique Copper

thurus_nickel_7_front.JPGthurus_nickel_8_back.JPG

Nickel + Green and Blue

thurus_gold_1_front.JPGthurus_edgetext.JPG

Gold + Red

Sorry for not really good picture qualitiy, had no daylight, just too late.

Size is 1.75"

I have some more samples but these are secret B)

I'll have to talk to my girlfriend about final versions. This will be on saturday, so probably presale will start on sunday. (Gold + Red and Nickel + Green will be two final versions so far)

Announced cointest will start on sunday too!

Futher details will follow next days.

Feel free to post your feedback :anicute:

Greeting

Stefan

Just called my girlfriend and asked her about the mystery-edition.

We made a decision and here the non-mystery-edition, called the "Rainbow-Thurus".

thurus_nickel_rainbow_back.JPG

backside

thurus_nickel_rainbow_front.JPG

front

Purple in the middle around triskelion and on the back will be replaced by brighter purple (transparent #5 instead of #9).

It's our most favourite edition so far :)

You remember the saying written on coin? "May your search be successfull" ... on your journey to the "Pot of Gold" at the end of the rainbow :anicute:

Stefan

PS: This will be a edition available in presale, for sure!

Edited by wenzelbub