Lowrance Endura firmware Update 1.2

I wanted to say that I spent a long while learning that PQ's with 1000 caches in them do NOT work when trying to load them into the Out&Back. 500 count queries work, but I would REALLY like to be able to add 1000, since the new geocaching.com update went through allowing that size.

I have a question for everyone. Do the updates that affect the Out&Back also affect the Safari and Sierra? I'd like to go with the higher end models, but I read a lot of bad things about the Safari and Sierra, whereas the reviews for the Out&Back have been glowing since the updates. If the latest updates also improved the higher end models significantly, I'd like to purchase one of them.

I wanted to say that I spent a long while learning that PQ's with 1000 caches in them do NOT work when trying to load them into the Out&Back. 500 count queries work, but I would REALLY like to be able to add 1000, since the new geocaching.com update went through allowing that size.

I have a question for everyone. Do the updates that affect the Out&Back also affect the Safari and Sierra? I'd like to go with the higher end models, but I read a lot of bad things about the Safari and Sierra, whereas the reviews for the Out&Back have been glowing since the updates. If the latest updates also improved the higher end models significantly, I'd like to purchase one of them.

I'm sorry it took a while to figure that out. The good news is that the unit will take not just 500 caches but a total of 4000!!! They just need to be loaded 500 at a time. Reason for this is that the time needed to load and index this volume of caches is pretty reasonable but necessary so you can take advantage of the wonderful paperless functions that the Endura's have.

The other good news is that the Updates are free and available at Lowrance.com/downloads. The update you need is the 1.4 version for your Out & Back (consolidates all the earlier updates in a single update.). It's also been rumored that this update eliminates the 500 cache limitation so you can load your 1000 caches ( new limit applied by Geocaching.com).

Please feel free to contact me if you need further help.

Be safe.

N

The good news is that the unit will take not just 500 caches but a total of 4000!!! They just need to be loaded 500 at a time. Reason for this is that the time needed to load and index this volume of caches is pretty reasonable but necessary so you can take advantage of the wonderful paperless functions that the Endura's have.

The other good news is that the Updates are free and available at Lowrance.com/downloads. The update you need is the 1.4 version for your Out & Back (consolidates all the earlier updates in a single update.). It's also been rumored that this update eliminates the 500 cache limitation so you can load your 1000 caches ( new limit applied by Geocaching.com).

Be safe.

N

I want to say that I used the Out&Back all day today and I really enjoyed doing so. It was very reliable and I'm looking forward to a long, meaningful relationship with it.

Now, that said, just after I posted this, I requested a pocket query with 500 caches that, for some reason, was a bit bigger in size bytewise than the normal 500 cache queries. Usually they come up at about 2.3 mb. However, this one was 3.1 mb. It didn't load into the Out&Back. Unfortunately, I don't think it has to do with the number of caches, but the file size itself. Maybe the limit is 3 mb, I don't know for sure.

Finally, concerning 1.4. I just downloaded that a bit earlier, and maybe it's my imagination, but menus seem to load much faster for one thing. Very serendipitous! I read the list of release notes, and nothing is mentioned about removing any file size limit or anything like that. I'd think that this would be mentioned as a keynote change if and when it happens. I can't test it today since I don't have any pocket query slots left for the day, but I certainly will tomorrow!

All in all, I like the Endura. Now if someone could fill me in on the difference between it and the Safari and Sierra. It can't just be the multimedia functions.

My understanding is that the Sierra, being the grand exalted champion of the lineup, has mucho mapping, as well as the compass, altimeter, etc. that the Safari has. But here is a link to compare the three units. Lowrance Comparison

All in all, I like the Endura. Now if someone could fill me in on the difference between it and the Safari and Sierra. It can't just be the multimedia functions.

The good news is that the unit will take not just 500 caches but a total of 4000!!! They just need to be loaded 500 at a time. Reason for this is that the time needed to load and index this volume of caches is pretty reasonable but necessary so you can take advantage of the wonderful paperless functions that the Endura's have.

Be safe.

N

I want to say that I used the Out&Back all day today and I really enjoyed doing so. It was very reliable and I'm looking forward to a long, meaningful relationship with it.

Now, that said, just after I posted this, I requested a pocket query with 500 caches that, for some reason, was a bit bigger in size bytewise than the normal 500 cache queries. Usually they come up at about 2.3 mb. However, this one was 3.1 mb. It didn't load into the Out&Back. Unfortunately, I don't think it has to do with the number of caches, but the file size itself. Maybe the limit is 3 mb, I don't know for sure.

Finally, concerning 1.4. I just downloaded that a bit earlier, and maybe it's my imagination, but menus seem to load much faster for one thing. Very serendipitous! I read the list of release notes, and nothing is mentioned about removing any file size limit or anything like that. I'd think that this would be mentioned as a keynote change if and when it happens. I can't test it today since I don't have any pocket query slots left for the day, but I certainly will tomorrow!

It wouldn't be all to surprising for Lowrance to not specifically identify all the changes, especially if they were many. In the thread addressing the 1.4 update, I identified many of the most obvious changes I could find and many that weren't identified that were included.

The specific differences between the three units are here http://www.lowrance.com/en/Endura/Model-Comparison/ but specifically, lack of multimedia functions, lack of ability to add TBT feature as an add-on card, lack of 3-D compass and barometric altimeter, base map contour line separation and road features increase in detail from the Out & Back (minimal primary roads) to Safari (primary/secondary roads) and Sierra (All roads) to greater detail.

Hope this helps a bit.

Be safe.

N

Be safe.

N

The only difference between the Safari and Sierra is the built-in basemap. The Safari comes preloaded with 500' topo contours and 200 POI's, the Sierra has a 100' topo contours and 1.7 million POI's. Other than that they have the exact same set of features, ie 3 axis magnetic compass and barometer/altimeter.