FTF

M.TEX

what have you guys placed and found on your caches...

My question is becuse Im NOT sure of what item would be cool to be placed in my first cache to FTF.

I do not have any cache found. so I do not know what is out there and what people think is cool

I don't want to suck on my first cache. so Ideas ?

I've got 2 items yesterday but they may not be " cool "....

Is there Geocachers that use the same item as a Signature item when they place a new cache

or find other people caches ???

question questions question.....

M.TEX

My question is becuse Im NOT sure of what item would be cool to be placed in my first cache to FTF.

I do not have any cache found. so I do not know what is out there and what people think is cool

Is there Geocachers that use the same item as a Signature item when they place a new cache

M.TEX

For all I know, you might me a GPS expert. But, I strongly urge you to find several caches and read over the cache hiding guidlines thoroughly. Then hide your cache. You don't owe anyone a "cool" FTF prize. Hide an appropriate size cache to match the area. An interesting and or scenic location is more important than a special prize IMHO. Take the time necessary to mark and test accurate coords.

M.TEX

First off, you aren't required to put stuff in a cache when you put it out. It's nice to do so but you don't have to.

My philosophy is that I will place things in my caches that I think others might like or just think is cool. My last one had a bunch of seashells that I got when I was on vacation. I also added a few other trinkets.

The one thing I would suggest you don't do is to stock your cache with the hopes that people will trade even. Its a pretty well thought theory that cache contents degrade over time, and not all cachers are as honest as we would hope. Leave a $20 item in your cache and it might just disappear with nothing traded, or something of little value.

As for a FTF prize, it's not necessary but some do it just for fun. I don't typically offer FTF prizes but have been known to accept a couple of them.

Happy caching.

I like the idea of stocking a FTF prize to reflect the difficulty of the cache. An unactivated GC is a super prize and might be good for a cache that takes some effort to find, whether it be a puzzle or long hike/climb/paddle.

FTF hounds will pounce on a park n grab (sometimes in under an hour). I'm of the opinion the a FTF "prize" should award effort, not who was sitting at home when a text notification hit their phone.

As others have said, a prize for FTF can be a nice thing but you have to think of those who come after also. Don't sacrifice the container or additional swag just so you can provide something special for FTF.

Agree that FTF prize is not required. That said, when I do find a FTF prize, I think that is realy cool! I got a $10 bill in one remote cache (requried a 3h drive from neerest city and a 1h climb), and a $10 gift certificate for a coffey shop in another (required a 30 min hike). Prety much anything is great though. I left a old cell phone that could be used as a pay-as-you-go phone (with charger) I think it was the second finder who took it.

Any geo-caching related item will be greatly appriciated (compas, mirror on a stick, AA batteries, flashlight etc.)

Signature items are allways cool. One guy around here always leaves a playing card with James Brown on the back. Another guy leaves a wooden coin with his logo on it. I sometimes leave temperary tatoos with my avitar on it.

Thanks all of you guys !

Yeap I see all the points here but the Area where I think this cache will be placed has all to do with kids

It's NOT in the woods but is a Important spot here in my Town ( ooops spoil ) There are LOTS of people

that come to this place all the time....

I've seen pictures of KIDS out with parents on the Hunt , so I think a FTF with that in mind would be cool

I was out today to spot a nice place but because the Snow I turned around and went home...

But I think I will have a FTF on my first , even if a adult find , I don't care...

Thanks for all the info !

M.TEX

I got some $2 but I do not know how much they are worth....

Maybe the one you just told me is one that are hard to find....

I also have star notes....but I will keep simple for now...

Cool. I got a two dollar bill as a FTF once...maybe twice. Sounds like a great idea.

Some locals around here also use the dollar coins as FTF prizes. Really, it's not a huge deal, just a nice little extra for the finder.

M.TEX

I put $5 for the FTF regardless of difficulty.

sometimes $3 for ftf, $2 for stf.

I have a hard 5/5 puzzle coming up that will have ~$100 for the first few finders.

most people say dont put paper money in caches but it rarely rains here so its ok really.

Agree that FTF prize is not required. That said, when I do find a FTF prize, I think that is realy cool! I got a $10 bill in one remote cache (requried a 3h drive from neerest city and a 1h climb), and a $10 gift certificate for a coffey shop in another (required a 30 min hike). Prety much anything is great though. I left a old cell phone that could be used as a pay-as-you-go phone (with charger) I think it was the second finder who took it.

Any geo-caching related item will be greatly appriciated (compas, mirror on a stick, AA batteries, flashlight etc.)

Signature items are allways cool. One guy around here always leaves a playing card with James Brown on the back. Another guy leaves a wooden coin with his logo on it. I sometimes leave temperary tatoos with my avitar on it.

Dead AA batteries aren't a cool trade item however and ive found those a few times.

I got some $2 but I do not know how much they are worth.

unless they're pre 1976 notes, they're worth $2.00

star notes only denote a certain serial numbered bill had defect and had to be destroyed and that star bill took its place. maybe worth something extra in an already valuable note but doesn't command a premium in an otherwise ordinary note.

The first cache I placed is what I think epitomizes caching. A hike in a beautiful place and a historic sight and interesting things the whole time. I had recently found a waterfall near where I live and it was the largest in the southern part of state. It had the ruins of a 17th century wool mill. I hiked on past it a mile and started a puzzle cache that required compass bearings and entering coords into the gps in the field, and then another hike of over 1/2 mile. My FTF prize was an entry level Silva Compass.

"Old School on the Bluestone" GC125WT. 26 months later, 8 successful finds, no DNF's. Very few will do the hike.

Yesterday, in same area, I devoted 3 hours to be FTF on a cache that required a 3 mile hike in fresh snow. The prize---- a deer jaw that they found near the cache :>( Whats that all about, glad I'm not in this to get rich.

Unless I place a very special cache in a very hard to solve puzzle or very out of the way place I'm not going to put something special in for the FTF.

Regarding FTF by myself, I'm not an FTF hound and by now don't even acknowledge in my log that I am indeed the FTF. It's not important to me. If I am FTF I sometimes take a moment to write up more than just a standard log entry. Something like this or this.

I may be wrong, but I think to those who really like to collect FTFs the FTF is its own reward. Usually a new cache brings about an early crush of finders on the first day after publishing anyway. Some people can be quite competitive about it. There was some bruhaha and argy-bargy over one cache I placed months ago and I really rather have logs written by happy finders than an argument over who has the first legit claim to the find.

Now. If I go stick another cache in some hard to get to place I'll probably leave a set of unactivated dogtags or other cool item, though I find many first to find of a right bastid of a cache are so thrilled to make the grab the prize is only icing on the cake. Though its hard to assume what's important to each. Someone may climb an awful trail into a remote corner of a park, have to cross streams, dodge brambles, etc. and be totally sore there wasn't a FTF prize awaiting them (honestly, if someone had beat them to the FTF is it really that much of a lesser thing achieving the find?)

I found some paper cut outs of trophies at the dollar store for dirt cheap. I just wrote FTF in permanent marker and then I make sure I write, there is a trophy for the FTF prize. I have also looked at actual small plastic trophies. Probably the next step.

hey i was just up in ur neck of the woods sure glad i missed the snow.anyways i really like the idea about the small trophies for FTF thanks for the idea.

M.TEX

Here are my thoughts which may be different from somebody else.

1. Wait on putting out your first cache until you have found a good number of other hides. The main reason is how do you know your hide will be any good or last without getting muggled.

What is a "good number" of finds? Some say 100, while some might say less. We waited till our 500th find and we are glad we did. I have seen alot of really lame caches that did not last put out by cachers who have found less than 30. Remember you are playing with people that have found thousands of caches. Think of it as doing research in to what makes a good hide.

2. FTF prizes are really nice. But only about 20% of the time do we find one in the cache. The most expensive FTF prize that we have gotten had a value of about $25, it was really nice. We have also gotten a couple nice low end prizes. One was a "FTF Button" and the other was a well made paper certificate congratulating us on being the FTF on their cache. So regardless if its a high end prize or a low end prize include one only if you want to.

3. How well should first stock your cache? It's up to you. I know some cachers that always keep really nice stuff in all of their hides no matter how long its been out there. But there are some other cachers that start with very lame swag and it never gets any better. So I guess the real question is "what kind of cache owner are you" and what can you afford? Nice swag does not need to cost lot. Check out the discount stores in your area, around here we have "Big Lots" and "The Dollar Store".

4. Signature items. Some (not us) have coins or cards made up stating who the are and some of these get collected. If you are going that route make sure it looks nice.

Again these are just my thoughts,

Tobias

Make the location the prize!

Spend the money that you would have spent on a nice FTF prize on gas money to explore and find a really cool location. The FTF and every finder after that will appreciate and enjoy your cache.

I would much rather find a nice view or neat place I didn't know about than a prize, FTF or otherwise.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler