How to add maps from GPS into Basecamp

I just downloaded Base Camp for Mac. For anyone that has used this the problem I have is it only comes with the Garmin Base Map installed. My GPS has both city navigator and Topo maps preinstalled on it. The GPS did not come with a CD of the maps to install. How do I get the City and Topo maps into BaseCamp???

I see you can add your unlock code but it does not download it from the GPS nor does it download from Garmin. Any Ideas???

I just downloaded Base Camp for Mac. For anyone that has used this the problem I have is it only comes with the Garmin Base Map installed. My GPS has both city navigator and Topo maps preinstalled on it. The GPS did not come with a CD of the maps to install. How do I get the City and Topo maps into BaseCamp???

I see you can add your unlock code but it does not download it from the GPS nor does it download from Garmin. Any Ideas???

You can't download the maps from your gps into BaseCamp. I had the same problem and was told by Garmin that I would have to buy the maps on their dvd's to be able to use in BaseCamp. I had to buy their West 24k dvd at a cost of $129 US. To me, it was worth it though because the Garmin maps are the best I've seen when compared to RouteBuddy and MacGPSPro. RouteBuddy = $99 download and then you have to purchase their maps. MacGPSPro = $60 download not including map purchases.

You can't download the maps from your gps into BaseCamp. I had the same problem and was told by Garmin that I would have to buy the maps on their dvd's to be able to use in BaseCamp. I had to buy their West 24k dvd at a cost of $129 US. To me, it was worth it though because the Garmin maps are the best I've seen when compared to RouteBuddy and MacGPSPro. RouteBuddy = $99 download and then you have to purchase their maps. MacGPSPro = $60 download not including map purchases.

So if the CD comes with the unit you can put them in Basecamp, and if it comes preloaded you have to buy another CD? Thats retarded!

So if the CD comes with the unit you can put them in Basecamp, and if it comes preloaded you have to buy another CD? Thats retarded!

I agree that with you on it not being right. I had even purchased and downloaded Topo U.S. 24k - West for $99 and I couldn't use that in BaseCamp. To Garmin's credit though, they sold me the dvd and only charged me the difference ($30) so I didn't have to pay the full dvd price. As I mentioned though, the dvd was worth it (my opinion). The maps are very good and you can even view them in 3D mode in BaseCamp. All in all, I really like BaseCamp.

Edited by cycler48

Aboat 1 year ago I made a posting with the heading "ïs Garmin reXXXX"

I had an avalanche of protests and some Pm's with threats including 1 from a moderator that I would be expelled "if I use this word again and it was a personal insult to the moderator"

Gotta be PC you know. I'm too old for PC. :)

I had an avalanche of protests and some Pm's with threats including 1 from a moderator that I would be expelled "if I use this word again and it was a personal insult to the moderator"

It's sad that some people have to take every word literally and do not understand context. Words change meaning over time and can be used in conversation without everyone being so sensitive.

Take the word gay for example. In conversation 50 years ago it used to mean happy, then over time it changed to mean homosexual. Now it has become a word you use around your buddies similar to saying something like "you're a dork." Some people do not understand this and have to change the meaning of the word to its former affiliation because they do not understand the change in context.

Edited by MustangTim

It's sad that some people have to take every word literally and do not understand context. Words change meaning over time and can be used in conversation without everyone being so sensitive.

Take the word gay for example. In conversation 50 years ago it used to mean happy, then over time it changed to mean homosexual. Now it has become a word you use around your buddies similar to saying something like "you're a dork." Some people do not understand this and have to change the meaning of the word to its former affiliation because they do not understand the change in context.

I guess in the future one could say : "'So, and so' has their distributer rotated counter to revolution.".

Seems like a lot of words because someone else is making you own their thin skin. Not a whole lotta

sympathy towards PC happinin' in my space, but i'm not into steppin' on toes either. Moderation(noun)

is good, moderation(verb) is a double edged sword.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Anyway, you can't load your Sd map to basecamp.

You can however download very good free maps from gpsfiledepot.com

Can you put those into Basecamp?

No, you cannot put those into BaseCamp. I tried and I couldn't find a way to do it. From what I can see the only maps that will work are the ones you get on the dvd's from Garmin. At least that's how I remember it. :)

Anyway, you can't load your Sd map to basecamp.

You can however download very good free maps from gpsfiledepot.com

Can you put those into Basecamp?

No, you cannot put those into BaseCamp. I tried and I couldn't find a way to do it. From what I can see the only maps that will work are the ones you get on the dvd's from Garmin. At least that's how I remember it. :)

Those files from GPSFILEDEPOT, should come in ".TGZ" format for Mac. Just download, and 'run' that and it will install into MapInstall and RoadTrip, the newer released version of BaseCamp. Which you can download free from Garmin, under Mac version. Then open MapInstall or RoadTrip and it will show in upper right corner of screen on one, and upper left corner on the other. Oh, you need a GPS connected and turned on to get MapInstall to run. RoadTrip is OK, by itself.

I've used GPSFileDepot for Washington State 24K maps (250MB download), and NW States Topos, just fine. Gives 40 foot contours.

I've read several posts on various forums that say you cannot transfer maps from your GPS to your PC. In general that would be true if they were Garmin City Navigator and the like, but recently I downloaded a gmapsupp.img from a 60Cx and after "massaging" it, I was able to load it into Mapsource and then to a different GPS.

What I did was transfer the gmapsupp.img file from the 60Cx mSD card to my PC and then open it in Mapedit. I recompiled it as xxxxxxxx.img using the number shown in File / Map Properties / Header / I.D. and running cGPSmapper. MapsetToolkit was then able to install the img into Mapsource and it was then transfered to a GPS in the usual way.

I don't know the origin of the map, but it wasn't a Garmin product. I didn't have any use for the map, I was just interested to know if it was technically possible to do.

Bob