Hide the find counts.

GOF and Bacall

I tried to remember, just now, if anyone has ever asked me about my find count. And I realized: The only people who have ever asked me about my find count are non-cachers.

Our experience has been the exact opposite. Could be that since non-cachers have not a clue wrt what the game is about and what it's components are and that a www site even exists.

However as you might imagine, I am more than eager to fill them in. And I can tell you that at the local event that we attended last weekend, found count was mentioned over and over and over.

There was even a couple of people there who actually had their found count on their name tag stickies. They didn't include their DNF count though, don't know why. Could possibly be that they didn't know their DNF count, I don't know mine and don't care to.

Must be a regional thing. :D:D:D

Non-cachers never ask me either. I'm typically asked by newbies or by numbers oriented cachers. I think the numbers oriented ones just ask as a way of finding out if I'm into numbers too. When I give them a nonchalant answer like "I'm not sure," they figure out where I stand. However, I don't mind if they are.

I've also been asked a few times while at events. I truthfully answer that "I'm not sure". I've never felt the least bit uncomfortable in this conversation, nor have I cared that other people are curious about my numbers.
Wow.
i'm going to surprise everyone and come out in favor of the finds counts the way they are.

among other things, it makes it much easier to send congratulatory notes to cachers about their recent milestones if the information is on on the cache page. i don't look at everyone's profiles often, but i DO read a lot of logs.

we grow.

we learn.

four years gives one a lot of time to review one's initial opinions, and arrive at more sensible conclusions.

you ought to try it.

Still the rude little flask that we know and love, huh?

Just because we gain more experience doesn't necessarily mean that our opinions change. For instance, I still allow that this information is 1) useful to many and 2) not private in any way. Therefore, I don't see the point in hiding it.

You, on the other hand, appear to be so wrapped up in how you are perceived by others that you ignore the reality of the world. As it turns out, no one actually cares about you. No one is taking special notice of your precious little find count. In fact, if you weren't such an unpleasant person, I bet that most people wouldn't even know that you existed.

kettle? is that you?

if it weren't for people who actually DO come up and make comments about my find count, i'd assume that nobody but me cares.

clearly YOU care, since you repeatedly make an awful lot of comments directed personally at me even when i am not speaking to you.

ordinarily you are too far my contempt to respond to you in any way, but it's Christmas. so there. take that and buy yourself something nice with it. and spare no expense. you're worth it.

ho.

ho. ho.

It's OK, flask. We accept your apology.

Now go outside and play. The adults are having a conversation.

This is the very reason that I had previously suggested that there be two numbers next to each log.

:DDecember 17 by sbell111 (542 of 553 found)

Edited to add that I did not initially request this. Mushtang did. I merely added an 'I also'.

This is a good idea!

I like it, too. But I can imagine why it was shot down: too hard to make it retroactive, not accurate if a log gets deleted or backdated, too big a load on the server if it isn't static.

I actually do this myself on nearly every found log, so of course think it would be great if the site did it automatically.

It's fun to check my overall find number of a log when I happen to look at a cache I found a while back.

It wouldn't necessarily be difficult to make it retroactive as you can already see every found log you've ever posted in order. But the devil could very well be in the details here, of course. I think this is one of those things that people who care about it just put the number in manually (or using a greasemonkey script) so there's an only slightly bothersome work around.

Edited by rob3k

Here's the interesting thing about the 'Hide my find count' suggestion: It would never work.

Imagine that TPTB allowed you to remove your find count from the logs and from your own profile. How many days would pass before some waskily greesmonkey scripter wrote a script that allowed anyone else to put them right back? (I'm putting a buck on '2 days'.)

Remember, TPTB are not going to block your finds.

Edited by sbell111

The solution is easy - Stop worrying about other people's numbers, and stop worrying about what they think of yours.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

- from the Desiderata

The solution is easy - Stop worrying about other people's numbers, and stop worrying about what they think of yours.

- from the Desiderata

Good advice.

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :D

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :D

I'm not interested in saving other people from themselves. If another player wants to compare themselves to me by the number of finds we have then I think it's pretty stupid, but it's not up to me to force them to understand that.

Likewise, if someone believes that the find counts are important, it's not up to them to force me to believe the way they do either.

Fortunately I'm smart enough to realize that I can ignore a game that is being played that I don't wish to participate it, and I can play happily the way I want to.

:D

I can play happily the way I want to. :)
Me too. This situation sort of reminds me of my retired neighbor that had the best lawn in the neighorhood because he finally had loads of time to spend on it. I just had too much other stuff going on to spend that much time on my yard. The same goes with caching. When I get time to do it, I really enjoy it but there is no way that I could ever spend the amount of time on it that others do. So to me the find count only reflects the amount of time that different people invest into caching and nothing more. So why would I ever care how much time other people spend on the game?

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :)

I'm not interested in saving other people from themselves. If another player wants to compare themselves to me by the number of finds we have then I think it's pretty stupid, but it's not up to me to force them to understand that.

Likewise, if someone believes that the find counts are important, it's not up to them to force me to believe the way they do either.

Fortunately I'm smart enough to realize that I can ignore a game that is being played that I don't wish to participate it, and I can play happily the way I want to.

:)

Does that mean that you are also "smart" enough to accept that others have a different and valid point of view? The OP asked for an option to hide the find count. It seems smarter to grant that, than it does to try and insist that everyone become "enlightened" enough to ignore how they feel. This change would not hurt the game, and might even bring more traffic to the web site. More traffic to the site is better for the frog. All the people that don't log finds might change the way they play the game.

Does that mean that you are also "smart" enough to accept that others have a different and valid point of view? The OP asked for an option to hide the find count. It seems smarter to grant that, than it does to try and insist that everyone become "enlightened" enough to ignore how they feel. This change would not hurt the game, and might even bring more traffic to the web site. More traffic to the site is better for the frog. All the people that don't log finds might change the way they play the game.

You say Mushtang is "insisting" that everyone become enlightened; I say he is only offering enlightenment.

I think maybe you didn't read his post as you were quoting it. He says "I'm not interested in saving other people from themselves." That doesn’t sound like any kind of "insistence" to me.

Mushtang is merely suggesting a more confident point of view, one which might provide some measure of peace to those who are currently self-conscious about the display of their find count. He isn’t forcing it on anyone, which is as it should be.

I support hiding the find counts, however not the way I am sur eth OP meant.

If there was an option for ME to select not to show ME other peoples find counts, that would be great. I probably wouldn't use it, but it would satisfy all the people who want them hidden since they will not see them.

I would support the option of hiding your find counts if this condition were added:

People who choose this option could never, ever, comment about find counts in the forums. :)

But wait, I guess that would spoil it for some. What's the point of hiding your find counts if you can't TELL everyone you're hiding your find counts? :)

Edited by hukilaulau

You say Mushtang is "insisting" that everyone become enlightened; I say he is only offering enlightenment.

I think maybe you didn't read his post as you were quoting it. He says "I'm not interested in saving other people from themselves." That doesn’t sound like any kind of "insistence" to me.

Mushtang is merely suggesting a more confident point of view, one which might provide some measure of peace to those who are currently self-conscious about the display of their find count. He isn’t forcing it on anyone, which is as it should be.

But did you read what he was responding to? It is the people that are comparing their numbers to others that he doesn't want to save. I think it is more of an insistence that they get over their self-consciousness or just lump it. If anyone wants to give reasons why the idea might hurt the game, go for it. To suggest that those that "feel" differently about this are not smart enough to realize that they can ignore people, is not helpful and a bit rude. Some people are more in tune with computers where they can just rewrite the software when the response is not desired. Human emotions are not so simple. I can understand resisting ideas that would hurt the game, hiding find counts would not do that. He says that he can happily play the way that he wants to. Would it be OK if a few others were also allowed to happily play the way they want to?

To suggest that those that "feel" differently about this are not smart enough to realize that they can ignore people, is not helpful and a bit rude.

Where has anyone suggested that anyone is "not smart enough?" I think you are reading an insult into a place where no insult exists.

Mushtang simply made a suggestion. Several of us have made the same suggestion. It is a suggestion that each reader is free to take or ignore. No offense is intended; folks like Mushtang are only trying to help.

To suggest that those that "feel" differently about this are not smart enough to realize that they can ignore people, is not helpful and a bit rude.

Where has anyone suggested that anyone is "not smart enough?" I think you are reading an insult into a place where no insult exists.

Mushtang simply made a suggestion. Several of us have made the same suggestion. It is a suggestion that each reader is free to take or ignore. No offense is intended; folks like Mushtang are only trying to help.

You are entitled to your opinion. It is kind of like a backhanded compliment. Dammed by faint praise. Insults are not always in your face.

The implication is that those that want the ability to hide the find counts are not smart enough.

Do you really think suggesting that people should feel differently is the way to help them?

Insults are not always in your face.

Neither do they exist just because you imagine them.

And neither do they not exist just because you claim they don't. :)

I respect your right to feel insulted by non-insults.

Or, as an über-genius once said:

People get offended, mostly, because they WANT to get offended. I couldn't be bothered to worry about whether or not someone "may" be offended by a non-offensive statement. It's their problem if they do.
Insults are not always in your face.

Neither do they exist just because you imagine them.

And neither do they not exist just because you claim they don't. :)

I respect your right to feel insulted by non-insults.

Or, as an über-genius once said:

People get offended, mostly, because they WANT to get offended. I couldn't be bothered to worry about whether or not someone "may" be offended by a non-offensive statement. It's their problem if they do.

And I respect your right to claim that the earth is flat or anything else you want to believe. Keep in mind, I never said I was offended. I said the statement was a bit rude. If you choose to twist things to suit your needs, as your genius would say, that's your problem.

Keep in mind, I never said I was offended. I said the statement was a bit rude.

Thanks. That clears it right up. :)

And I respect your right to claim that the earth is flat or anything else you want to believe.

Well, I know what *I* meant when I made the suggestion. If you want to claim I meant something else, you’ll be calling me a liar.

Keep in mind, I never said I was offended. I said the statement was a bit rude.

Thanks. That clears it right up. :)

I will type slowly. I observed that someone made a rude comment to the OP or others that feel the same. I said I thought it was a bit rude. It was not directed at me and I was not offended. I am able to comment about it even though I was not personally offended.

And I respect your right to claim that the earth is flat or anything else you want to believe.
Well, I know what *I* meant when I made the suggestion. If you want to claim I meant something else, you’ll be calling me a liar.

Saying that I respect your right to make un-supportable claims is calling you a liar? :)

Saying that I respect your right to make un-supportable claims is calling you a liar? :)

You’ve lost me. Where did I make any claim? We are talking about a helpful suggestion offered by me and Mushtang and others, not a claim.

You tried to spin our suggestion as an insult. I explained to you that there is no insult, that it is merely a helpful suggestion. You then told me it was an insult anyway, thereby calling me a liar and telling me I don’t know what’s in my own head.

If you ask me what time it is, and I glance at my watch and tell you the time, but then you insist that I have just insulted you, and I say, no, no offense was intended I was just telling you the time, yet you stand by your accusation – what am I supposed to do with that?

I’ll tell you what I do with it. I ignore it and walk away.

Bye.

This change would not hurt the game, and might even bring more traffic to the web site. More traffic to the site is better for the frog. All the people that don't log finds might change the way they play the game.

I can understand resisting ideas that would hurt the game, hiding find counts would not do that. He says that he can happily play the way that he wants to. Would it be OK if a few others were also allowed to happily play the way they want to?

Your statement that this change "would not hurt the game" is your opinion, and the rest of your statement is speculation with no evidence supporting it.

Many people have said (every time this topic comes up) that they LIKE being able to see the find counts, therefore the option to hide the find counts would "hurt the game" for these folks. This is indisputable.

In reality everyone cannot have what they want. I don't know how I stand on the issue. But I'm always wary when opinion is casually stated as fact. It wouldn't hurt the game for you, and probably not for me, but it would for some.

This change would not hurt the game, and might even bring more traffic to the web site. More traffic to the site is better for the frog. All the people that don't log finds might change the way they play the game.

I can understand resisting ideas that would hurt the game, hiding find counts would not do that. He says that he can happily play the way that he wants to. Would it be OK if a few others were also allowed to happily play the way they want to?

Your statement that this change "would not hurt the game" is your opinion, and the rest of your statement is speculation with no evidence supporting it.

Many people have said (every time this topic comes up) that they LIKE being able to see the find counts, therefore the option to hide the find counts would "hurt the game" for these folks. This is indisputable.

In reality everyone cannot have what they want. I don't know how I stand on the issue. But I'm always wary when opinion is casually stated as fact. It wouldn't hurt the game for you, and probably not for me, but it would for some.

Absolutely. It would probably be seen as a harm to the game for the people that like to look at others numbers to help gain a sense of superiority. Others that won't even log a find to avoid the numbers game might see it as a positive for the game. You claim one side is indisputable, but somehow for the other side you are less sure. Isn't it indisputable that for those that would like to hide their find count this would not hurt the game? I am sure that there will still be plenty of people that leave their numbers visible for that crowd to still enjoy their game.

Dad:

Some free advice from Mom: "Don't give 'em the satisfaction."

Try beating your head against a brick wall for that will surely yield a more productive and satisfying result. :angry::lol::lol:

I know what you mean. At least the brick wall wouldn't try to claim that it wasn't a brick wall. :o

Saying that I respect your right to make un-supportable claims is calling you a liar? :lol:

You’ve lost me. Where did I make any claim? We are talking about a helpful suggestion offered by me and Mushtang and others, not a claim.

You tried to spin our suggestion as an insult. I explained to you that there is no insult, that it is merely a helpful suggestion. You then told me it was an insult anyway, thereby calling me a liar and telling me I don’t know what’s in my own head.

If you ask me what time it is, and I glance at my watch and tell you the time, but then you insist that I have just insulted you, and I say, no, no offense was intended I was just telling you the time, yet you stand by your accusation – what am I supposed to do with that?

I’ll tell you what I do with it. I ignore it and walk away.

Bye.

Ya that works doesn't it. Asking the time is comparable to telling someone what the "smart" way to feel is. :o

For starters I was responding to someone else and you inserted your righteousness into the middle and now claim I was calling you a liar. :angry::lol:

This is a claim made by you. You are claiming that mushtang simply made a suggestion. I know it helps your arguments to pretend, ignore and forget, but those are your words.

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :o

:angry:

Whoa, slow down there a minute and look at what I was replying to before you put your own meaning into my words.

You said - that hiding the find count is about keeping people from comparing themselves to you, and to help to keep them from becoming vain or bitter.

I replied - that I wasn't interested in keeping people from doing anything that they want to do if the only result is that they're hurting themselves (causing them to become vain or bitter).

You overreacted - and assumed that I somehow meant to imply that someone else's point of view wasn't valid, and that I was insisting that everyone ignore their feelings.

Fortunately I'm smart enough to realize you were reacting based on an emotional response and if you'd paid attention to what I (actually) wrote you'd see that I was explaining that I didn't want to change ANYTHING about how someone else plays their game.

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :angry:

:lol:

Whoa, slow down there a minute and look at what I was replying to before you put your own meaning into my words.

You said - that hiding the find count is about keeping people from comparing themselves to you, and to help to keep them from becoming vain or bitter.

I replied - that I wasn't interested in keeping people from doing anything that they want to do if the only result is that they're hurting themselves (causing them to become vain or bitter).

You overreacted - and assumed that I somehow meant to imply that someone else's point of view wasn't valid, and that I was insisting that everyone ignore their feelings.

Fortunately I'm smart enough to realize you were reacting based on an emotional response and if you'd paid attention to what I (actually) wrote you'd see that I was explaining that I didn't want to change ANYTHING about how someone else plays their game.

Aren't we supposed to yell out "tag" or something when we hand off to the team member. :o

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :o

I think you need to include some quotes for this to make any sense. You are leaving out context than changes the meaning of what was said, and I think you are twisting some of what was said. If you can link your comments above to the actual quotes I can respond.

- from the Desiderata

I think you need to include some quotes for this to make any sense. You are leaving out context than changes the meaning of what was said, and I think you are twisting some of what was said. If you can link your comments above to the actual quotes I can respond.
Nope, I kept everything quoted from your reply. Everything is here.

I've bolded and color coded the words to make it easier for you to ignore.

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :angry:

:lol:

Nope, I kept everything quoted from your reply. Everything is here.

I've bolded and color coded the words to make it easier for you to ignore.

Thanks for the bolding. Now if you would only quote me accurately. I respond to others and somehow I am trying to tell you something? I see now why you didn't simply use the quote function. It is a lot easier to misdirect and misconstrue if you can claim to be quoting someone when you are not. The jumps and leaps to conclusions don't even come close to what I was saying. No wonder I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. :o
Thanks for the bolding. Now if you would only quote me accurately. I respond to others and somehow I am trying to tell you something? I see now why you didn't simply use the quote function. It is a lot easier to misdirect and misconstrue if you can claim to be quoting someone when you are not. The jumps and leaps to conclusions don't even come close to what I was saying. No wonder I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. :angry:
So you were quoting me... but not replying to me. You were responding to others. My bad.

(yeah right) :o

Absolutely. It would probably be seen as a harm to the game for the people that like to look at others numbers to help gain a sense of superiority. Others that won't even log a find to avoid the numbers game might see it as a positive for the game. You claim one side is indisputable, but somehow for the other side you are less sure. Isn't it indisputable that for those that would like to hide their find count this would not hurt the game? I am sure that there will still be plenty of people that leave their numbers visible for that crowd to still enjoy their game.

There you go speculating on what motivates other people. It's a big jump from where people say they like seeing the find counts because it helps them evaluate a DNF or because they like to keep track of how many caches their friends are finding, to get to they only like to look at others number to help them gain a sense of superiority.

I really doubt that the high numbers cachers really care what your numbers are. They are looking at their counts and perhaps are comparing them to other high numbers caches in their area. If someone wanted to hide their numbers it wouldn't get in their way at all. Nor would it be an effective way to make a statement that the numbers don't matter.

As it stands now I can look at numbers and a players start date and get some idea if they are obsessive cachers who like to hunt often and find as many caches as possible, active cachers who regularly go caching and are a bit more selective about what they find, or occasional cachers who go cache only few times a year and may be very selective in the caches they hunt. I don't see how one group is superior to another. These are people who enjoy different aspects of geocaching and are having fun. If I start to see people hiding their number I will know that these are people who are overly concerned about what group someone might put them in based on their number. I suppose if I were to meet them at an event I would have to ask what kind of cacher they are. But I would be afraid to since they might get offended or think I was trying to gain a sense of superiority. :o

Thanks for the bolding. Now if you would only quote me accurately. I respond to others and somehow I am trying to tell you something? I see now why you didn't simply use the quote function. It is a lot easier to misdirect and misconstrue if you can claim to be quoting someone when you are not. The jumps and leaps to conclusions don't even come close to what I was saying. No wonder I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. :angry:
So you were quoting me... but not replying to me. You were responding to others. My bad.

(yeah right) :o

Here is a quote of the post I am referring to. I was responding to Prime Suspect. It is in the quotes you supplied. Did you not read what you put in your own post. Obfuscate a little more, tag off to KBI and then come back to this later and try again. Maybe it will work for you then. :lol:

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :lol:

Here is a quote of the post I am referring to. I was responding to Prime Suspect. It is in the quotes you supplied. Did you not read what you put in your own post.
Yeah, I read it. In post 334 you claimed that I needed to "include some quotes for this to make any sense." But the Prime Suspect quote was RIGHT THERE. Nice attempt at backpeddling but you clearly are giving up trying to tell me what my words actually meant so now you're just claiming that since you were responding to PS that I'm not allowed to respond to you.

th_backpeddling.gif

Obfuscate a little more, tag off to KBI and then come back to this later and try again. Maybe it will work for you then. :o
If you don't want to respond to my post, to what my post actually meant, that's okay. You're not required to.

In post 309 I said that I wasn't interested in making changes to the game for the reasons you suggested to Prime Suspect. If someone becomes vain or bitter because they're looking at other peoples find counts, that's their problem. I'm not okay with changing something that a lot of people enjoy, simply to take away a negative that a small number of people are putting upon themselves.

You see? I'm not trying to change the way ANYONE plays their game with that post like you claimed I did. Not a single person.

No obfuscation there.

Edited by Mushtang

- from the Desiderata

I have to disagree,, If anything, the site would have less traffic and therefore less revenue. Allthough geocaching didn't start out this way, these days it is "about the numbers" for most who enjoy it. It's not about the destination or the view anymore, it's about increasing that smilie count and comparing that count with friends or other cachers. There's no doubt that adding a feature to hide count would be discouraging for some and i believe that TPTB are hesitant to add the feature because they may think this too!

I have to disagree,, If anything, the site would have less traffic and therefore less revenue. Although geocaching didn't start out this way, these days it is "about the numbers" for most who enjoy it. It's not about the destination or the view anymore, it's about increasing that smilie count and comparing that count with friends or other cachers. There's no doubt that adding a feature to hide count would be discouraging for some and i believe that TPTB are hesitant to add the feature because they may think this too!

I don't see why people would drop their premium account and stop geocaching because they can't see a find-count for probably 5% of accounts (I doubt very many would use the feature because as you say, these days most people are in it for the numbers).

If this proposal goes through I predict an unintended consequence. Proponents seem to believe hiding their find count will deflect attention away from them. I predict it will have precisely the opposite effect.

I think a blank in place of one’s find count number will stand out, and will draw more attention to that cacher.

As in "Hmm, lookit that, he made his number blank. I wonder what he’s trying to hide?"

Busybodies who would have otherwise paid scant attention will suddenly begin to scrutinize the profiles of the nervous numbers-hiders.

If this proposal goes through I predict an unintended consequence. Proponents seem to believe hiding their find count will deflect attention away from them. I predict it will have precisely the opposite effect.

I think a blank in place of one’s find count number will stand out, and will draw more attention to that cacher.

As in "Hmm, lookit that, he made his number blank. I wonder what he’s trying to hide?"

Busybodies who would have otherwise paid scant attention will suddenly begin to scrutinize the profiles of the nervous numbers-hiders.

And?

I read a lot of these posts and I find it very interesting how volatile a subject this seems to be. Here's my POV.

For me, I could care less if anyone knows how many finds I have. I generally cache in my area so a lot of the folks around here already know me and already know that type of cacher I am. I'm not someone who double logs caches, or logs finds on caches I didn't find, and any of those other "questionable" activities. I consider myself to be a decent cacher who just enjoys getting out and finding whatever caches are around.

I have stats about my finds on my profile page but I do not in any way see caching as a competitive sport. I do however know some cachers who do see it that way and I just shake my head at them. I've had one of them email me asking permission to log a find on a cache that was gone. I know he did this because he's a big numbers guy and "competes" with several other cachers to get better numbers.

I won't speak for the OP, but it sounds like this is at least part of the game he doesn't want involved with.

Personally, I think that if a person wishes to keep their information private, that is their right, and perhaps the site should build controls in to allow that. Me personally, I don't think in those terms so I have a harder time "getting" why someone would see their numbers being displayed as "part of the numbers game", but at the same token, I can also respect that some people just want their stuff private so that no one else can "judge" them based on their numbers. Is that being "part of the numbers game"? Being judged?

I think I see where people get all uptight about it. If someone has 2000 finds, many would automatically assume they have a lot of caching experience because they have found so many. But then others would turn around and say well maybe all their logs are fake, or maybe they don't have finds on "good" caches and it's all LPC's so they really aren't experienced. If I see someone with a high count, I do assume they've done a lot of caching, but I look at the types of caches they've done and decide from there. I don't decide purely based on a number, but I do tend to think high counts does equate to some experience. Maybe that's a flaw for me, but in where I live, those with high counts DO have a lot of experience, and ARE ethical cachers. There's not exactly a lot of "bad" cachers in my area so perhaps I'm insulated to that.

Are there really THAT many cachers out there that play this numbers game versus those of us who "play" for fun? Maybe my corner of the world really is that different.

I read a lot of these posts and I find it very interesting how volatile a subject this seems to be. Here's my POV.

For me, I could care less if anyone knows how many finds I have. I generally cache in my area so a lot of the folks around here already know me and already know that type of cacher I am. I'm not someone who double logs caches, or logs finds on caches I didn't find, and any of those other "questionable" activities. I consider myself to be a decent cacher who just enjoys getting out and finding whatever caches are around.

I have stats about my finds on my profile page but I do not in any way see caching as a competitive sport. I do however know some cachers who do see it that way and I just shake my head at them. I've had one of them email me asking permission to log a find on a cache that was gone. I know he did this because he's a big numbers guy and "competes" with several other cachers to get better numbers.

I won't speak for the OP, but it sounds like this is at least part of the game he doesn't want involved with.

Personally, I think that if a person wishes to keep their information private, that is their right, and perhaps the site should build controls in to allow that. Me personally, I don't think in those terms so I have a harder time "getting" why someone would see their numbers being displayed as "part of the numbers game", but at the same token, I can also respect that some people just want their stuff private so that no one else can "judge" them based on their numbers. Is that being "part of the numbers game"? Being judged?

I think I see where people get all uptight about it. If someone has 2000 finds, many would automatically assume they have a lot of caching experience because they have found so many. But then others would turn around and say well maybe all their logs are fake, or maybe they don't have finds on "good" caches and it's all LPC's so they really aren't experienced. If I see someone with a high count, I do assume they've done a lot of caching, but I look at the types of caches they've done and decide from there. I don't decide purely based on a number, but I do tend to think high counts does equate to some experience. Maybe that's a flaw for me, but in where I live, those with high counts DO have a lot of experience, and ARE ethical cachers. There's not exactly a lot of "bad" cachers in my area so perhaps I'm insulated to that.

Are there really THAT many cachers out there that play this numbers game versus those of us who "play" for fun? Maybe my corner of the world really is that different.

Personally I do not think that there IS a "numbers game".

- from the Desiderata

I think it is more about keeping others from comparing themselves to you. You know, help keep them from becoming vain or bitter. :laughing:

:laughing:

I have to disagree,, If anything, the site would have less traffic and therefore less revenue. Allthough geocaching didn't start out this way, these days it is "about the numbers" for most who enjoy it. It's not about the destination or the view anymore, it's about increasing that smilie count and comparing that count with friends or other cachers. There's no doubt that adding a feature to hide count would be discouraging for some and i believe that TPTB are hesitant to add the feature because they may think this too!

To each their own. We know that some people avoid logging online. I doubt any of the numbers players would change their habits just because some people hide their find count. If some that try to avoid the numbers game start logging online, you end up with more site traffic.

Would you really do that?

Here is a quote of the post I am referring to. I was responding to Prime Suspect. It is in the quotes you supplied. Did you not read what you put in your own post.
Yeah, I read it. In post 334 you claimed that I needed to "include some quotes for this to make any sense." But the Prime Suspect quote was RIGHT THERE. Nice attempt at backpeddling but you clearly are giving up trying to tell me what my words actually meant so now you're just claiming that since you were responding to PS that I'm not allowed to respond to you.

But you were misquoting me so I could not tell what you meant. You claimed that I said...

This is taken totally out of context. If you read the Prime Suspect post and my response any fair person can see that words you used do not reflect my statement. I also note that you left out the emoticon.

Nice try obfuscating again by putting false words in my mouth. I never said that you are not allowed to respond to me. How do you think you can get away with making such wildly false claims?