Hide the find counts.

GOF and Bacall

Geeze, I never realized up until this very moment that people ever anticipated that there was going to be a 'winner'. Is that correct guys, are we competing to be the winner?

I'm not. But I am interested in my and others find counts. Not everone of course, just certain special pals of mine. We view it as a friendly competition just for personal bragging rights.

I understand that no one else would ever do such a thing and that is the main reason that I support the idea of being able to prevent the display of find counts for those who want to do that.

Me and my buds however would likely never take advantage such a feature. Well perhaps my son would. Being bested by the old man can't possibly be much fun. :):laughing::P

Edited by Team Cotati
For KBI's information i do care deeply what other people think about me, having been told by my children that they were teased at school because we dont have as many finds as another local caching family

I therefore have an extra special reason for wanting to remove my stats from the website.

Is that the way you teach your kids to deal with teasing? To run away from it?

You are teaching your kids to give those teasers way more respect than they deserve, in my humble opinion.

And don’t forget, you are encouraging the teasers as well.

Please, please, please consider an alternate approach. Teach to your kids that their find count is not a score by carefully educating them as to them why it can't be used as a meaningful comparison. Explain to your kids that those teasers are only making themselves sound ignorant by treating it otherwise. Tell to your kids that a negative reaction to teasing only encourages more teasing, but that ignoring it will make it go away.

Tell them to consider those suggestions while looking at the situation from the teasers’ point of view. That seems to be an effective way to clarify the concept in a child’s mind – works well with my kids, anyway.

Just a friendly suggestion from a fellow parent. :)

Geeze, I never realized up until this very moment that people ever anticipated that there was going to be a 'winner'. Is that correct guys, are we competing to be the winner?

I'm not. But I am interested in my and others find counts. Not everyone of course, just certain special pals of mine. We view it as a friendly competition just for personal bragging rights.

I understand that no one else would ever do such a thing and that is the main reason that I support the idea of being able to prevent the display of find counts for those who want to do that.

Me and my buds however would likely never take advantage such a feature. Well perhaps my son would. Being bested by the old man can't possibly be much fun. :):laughing::P

Perhaps the 'hide finds' feature could have an option that allows only "My Friends" to see the count.

I’m not so sure it would help. It has been pointed out that childish ribbing and petty criticisms are pretty much impossible to avoid, no matter how one caches.

Yes, I agree. I've heard comments get made about people for having too few finds as well as for having too many, complaints that people are finding too many park and grabs and complaints for not finding enough.

For KBI's information i do care deeply what other people think about me, having been told by my children that they were teased at school because we dont have as many finds as another local caching family

I therefore have an extra special reason for wanting to remove my stats from the website.

I understand wanting to protect your kids and not wanting them to get teased, but comparisons and things like that happen in all aspects of life. What happens if your car isn't as expensive as another parents car and the kid of the parents with the expensive car teases your kids, saying that your car isn't as nice as theirs, or their house is bigger than yours? Will you start dropping your kids off a few blocks from their destination so no one can see what kind of car you drive?

When I was young, someone in my school would always brag about how is parents drove a very expensive brand of car, and they had a lot more money than anyone else. Did they have more money than everyone else? I don't know.

Either way, my parents always taught me to be true to myself and be proud of who I am and not worry about what others thought. The most important thing they said was to be happy with who I am and true to myself. I find that if you play into people who tease and stuff, they'll keep doing it more and more, but if you ignore them, they eventually get tired and stop because you're not reacting to them.

Edited by Skippermark
Id like to keep my find counts private as would a few of my caching friends who dont use these forums.

Simple solution - get out mon!

The best example yet as to why this proposed change is such a great idea. :)

Just trying to help my friend out and this one too.

quote 'KBI' date='Dec 11 2009, 04:33 PM' post='4154746'

You are teaching your kids to give those teasers way more respect than they deserve, in my humble opinion.

Did i say my kids were giving them respect ? they ignore them the fact that the other children thought they were superior to them is the issue its the other parent who has a problem but it still happened saying ignore them does not take the event away it still happened because no of finds has been seen as a score to get higher than others.

Nope in this thread im highlighting that this actually happened.

Please, please, please consider an alternate approach. Teach to your kids that their find count is not a score by carefully educating them as to them why it can't be used as a meaningful comparison. Explain to your kids that those teasers are only making themselves sound ignorant by treating it otherwise. Tell to your kids that a negative reaction to teasing only encourages more teasing, but that ignoring it will make it go away.

Allready done for the older two who are fine and well ballanced, the fact they came home and said "guess what dad xxx tried to tease me today because our find count is less than thiers" what did you do girls ?? "laughed at him and said we had better things to do than find boring caches all day every day" and then proceeded to ignore him.

but in the case of my partiatially autistic son its a bit harder to teach this.

Tell them to consider those suggestions while looking at the situation from the teasers’ point of view. That seems to be an effective way to clarify the concept in a child’s mind – works well with my kids, anyway.

----------------------------------cant do multi quotes that well---------------------------

Many thanks ive filled in more detail, the fact it happened in the first place is what concerns me, encouraging the attitude of finds = score can be eliminated by hiding find counts, or growing a thicker / tolerant skin. lets see which is easier

a - change your outlook on life and other people

b- add the option to hide your profile on the website

Why should i have to explain my find count and why im not bothered about it to anyone wether it bothers me or not ? removing find counts eliminates the need for the conversation in the first place thats whats being asked for.

I have a public profile on ebay but i can make it private, i have a public profile on steam but again it can be private, were just asking for the same website funcionality here as well.

Guess its become more normal to have the option on websites that store profile information to make it private thats whats being asked for here.

Just to clarify im not ranting above,(i hope) my original post was short and the interpretations given are kind of obvious after re reading!

The "Kindness" of all the replies was not lost on me. Many thanks for thinking of me and my children (all of you) :)

nb Note the last line of my signature

It's the character of a cacher and not the find count that impresses me most about someone

Edited by markandlynn
Why should i have to explain my find count and why im not bothered about it to anyone wether it bothers me or not ?

What makes you think you have to explain anything? That’s what I don’t understand.

I like Skippermark's analogy. It leads me to ask you this: How would you respond if another cacher were to tease you about the relative value of your car versus his?

I don't know about you, but I would never sell or even conceal my car just to avoid a childish comment from a nitnoid. Even if I had a car-cloaking invisibility switch I could turn on and off, which is what this proposal amounts to, I wouldn’t use it for that.

I say screw anyone who is displeased with my find count. I don’t owe anybody ANY explanations as to why my number is whatever it is. Why would you want to dignify such idiocy by allowing it to cause you to change your own behavior? Why let someone shame you into hiding your caching record?

Why should i have to explain my find count and why im not bothered about it to anyone wether it bothers me or not ?

What makes you think you have to explain anything? That’s what I don’t understand.

I like Skippermark's analogy. It leads me to ask you this: How would you respond if another cacher were to tease you about the relative value of your car versus his?

I don't know about you, but I would never sell or even conceal my car just to avoid a childish comment from a nitnoid. Even if I had a car-cloaking invisibility switch I could turn on and off, which is what this proposal amounts to, I wouldn’t use it for that.

I say screw anyone who is displeased with my find count. I don’t owe anybody ANY explanations as to why my number is whatever it is. Why would you want to dignify such idiocy by allowing it to cause you to change your own behavior? Why let someone shame you into hiding your caching record?

It denies them battleground before the battle starts.

If another cachers asks how many have you found ? id love to reply "its private" knowing they cant go home and look it up for the next time i meet them, simple problem simple solution.

This not about cars or lawns its about wanting to make my profile on this website hidden from all but my friends like most other web sites allow which have a profile facility.

To see my car or my lawn you have to know where i live and if you know that im going to get quite worried :)

cant do multi quotes that well

It’s easy to make muti-quotes.

To box individual chunks of text into separate quotes, just make sure each bit of text you wish to quote has one

or one

at the beginning, *and* one

at the end.

Example:

You da man.

No, YOU da man.

No, I said YOU da man.

No, YOU is da man, man!

Nevermind. Want some ice cream? My treat.

Wow. You da man.

That's what it should look like in the raw text. You can always test it before posting by using the Preview Post button.

I don’t know what those tags are officially called, but I call them open quotes and end quotes. Note the forward slash in the end quote tag. You have to have exactly one end quote for every open quote, otherwise the entire post falls apart into ugliness.

Like this one did.
:)
Count up my tags and you'll see why they didn't work in this post.
Edited by KBI

Like this one did. :) Count up my tags and you'll see what they didn't work in this post.

I know how but its ache of a job and if you do to many it breaks, and then it goes

KBI broke the quote thingy

KBI broke the quote thingy KBI broke the quote thingy KBI broke the quote thingyKBI broke the quote thingyKBI broke the quote thingy as an ex cheers regular would know ;

Edited by markandlynn
Just to clarify im not ranting above,(i hope) my original post was short and the interpretations given are kind of obvious after re reading!

Yes, totally understood. And I hope my reply didn't sound mean or anything. I didn't intend for it to sound that way if it did. The internet is so hard that way sometimes. When I first read it, I thought you didn't want your kids exposed to any kind of negativity, which happens all through life.

Your kids sound pretty cool and handled it well. I understand about your child with autism needing a little more explaining.

I'm not really in favor of hiding find counts, but I can relate to people who feel that way. I know it's curiosity, but it seems the first question people ask is, "How many finds do you have?" Unfortunately, that can lead to people forming opinions about someone solely based on a number...sometimes before they've even met them.

If another cachers asks how many have you found ? id love to reply "its private" knowing they cant go home and look it up for the next time i meet them, simple problem simple solution.

How is that any different from giving them the same response now?

Nosy busybody:
Hey, look at your find count. 758! What’s up with that?

markandlynn:
That’s my own private business.

Putting a blank in place of your number doesn’t remove the "battleground." It merely shifts it to another place:

Nosy busybody:
Hey, look at your find count. You blanked it out! What’s up with that?

markandlynn:

Where is the improvement? I still don’t see it.

Yes, totally understood. And I hope my reply didn't sound mean or anything. I didn't intend for it to sound that way if it did. The internet is so hard that way sometimes. When I first read it, I thought you didn't want your kids exposed to any kind of negativity, which happens all through life.

Your kids sound pretty cool and handled it well. I understand about your child with autism needing a little more explaining.

I'm not really in favor of hiding find counts, but I can relate to people who feel that way. I know it's curiosity, but it seems the first question people ask is, "How many finds do you have?" Unfortunately, that can lead to people forming opinions about someone solely based on a number...sometimes before they've even met them

I recognise good intentions when i see them :)

Thank you he is a handfull but fortunately sarcasm etc completely misses him as does subtly humour

How is that any different from giving them the same response now?

Nosy busybody:
Hey, look at your find count. 758! What’s up with that?

markandlynn:

Putting a blank in place of your number doesn’t remove the "battleground." It merely shifts it to another place:

Nosy busybody:
Hey, look at your find count. You blanked it out! What’s up with that?

markandlynn:

Where is the improvement? I still don’t see it.

Easy first conversation he is in charge cause he has the facts its his battleground its a home game for him

Second conversation im in charge cause i have the facts it a home game for me

Thank you for your thoughtful and instructive feedback. I promise to give your thoughts and ideas all due consideration.

Like this one did. :) Count up my tags and you'll see what they didn't work in this post.

I know how but its ache of a job and if you do to many it breaks, and then it goes

KBI broke the quote thingy

KBI broke the quote thingy KBI broke the quote thingy KBI broke the quote thingyKBI broke the quote thingyKBI broke the quote thingy as an ex cheers regular would know ;

PLEASE don’t take this the wrong way, but: I really think you could stand to learn to worry less about what other people think of you.

And I sincerely mean that in the most friendly, caring and constructive way possible. I used to be very insecure myself, a long time ago, back before I learned how easy it is to fix. I hate to see anyone agonize unnecessarily the way I used to.

Hide your find count if you must, but please at least consider the alternatives. Don’t let the goobers get to you.

Easy first conversation he is in charge cause he has the facts its his battleground its a home game for him

Even if the subject of his ribbing is the fact that you blanked out your number? I'd say he still has the facts in that conversation.

I still don't see it.

i do not know why people seem to think it's a great idea to teach children that they should stand and take teasing. while it's important to teach them what's really important, it does them no service to require them to stay and be teased.

why on earth NOT run away from obnoxious behavior? if some obnoxious drunk at a party comes up and starts making crude comparisons between me and someone else, why on earth would i not simply remove myself from the room?

i suppose i could kick the guy in the nuts, but sometimes running away is the wiser alternative.

if a person's children are being teased by other people's bad-mannered brats about family find counts, they'd have every right to simply remove themselves from the line of fire. it is tedious to be trapped in a closed environment (school, for example) with badly behaved urchins who both think it's a competition and have no sense of good sportsmanship.

people in this thread keep advising us to simply walk away from bozos who think the find count is a score. when those bozos insist on continuing not only to think of the find count as a score, but to bring it repeatedly to our attention, it's unpleasant. if we are trapped in the same building with those bozos with no hope of escape, it verges on agony.

one would be wise not to wish to put one's children thorough it.

"sweetie, in this family we have better manners than that" just doesn't cover the whole distance, you know?

Even if the subject of his ribbing is the fact that you blanked out your number? I'd say he still has the facts in that conversation.

I still don't see it.

I see this as competition, which you say you don't want. You win because you are in charge. You just shifted the competition.

I'm wondering why folks are so concerned about whether our count is shown. I don't recall this kind of concern over whether our count is accurate.

Exactly.

There is no official standard for accuracy. Each cacher has his own unique system for deciding what counts as a find, with no oversight from any standards committee or referee.

Which is yet another reason why find count numbers are useless as scorekeeping markers.

Which is yet another reason to ignore the bozos who haven't figured that out.

I'm wondering why folks are so concerned about whether our count is shown. I don't recall this kind of concern over whether our count is accurate.

After all of this you are STILL wondering? Then I'd say that it is likely that you are going to remain wondering.

As for accuracy, why not start a new discussion wrt how people feel about the accuracy of people's found counts and how they would feel about those found counts if they couldn't see them. That ought to be really enlightening as well as entertaining.

Exactly.

There is no official standard for accuracy. Each cacher has his own unique system for deciding what counts as a find, with no oversight from any standards committee or referee.

Which is yet another reason why find count numbers are useless as scorekeeping markers.

Which is yet another reason to ignore the bozos who haven't figured that out.

Found counts are very useful, just ask my son. :)

To the best of my recollection I have never been asked about my finds total by anyone other than a new cacher. I certainly have never asked another cacher how many caches they have found. Maybe the Seattle area is a kinder, gentler place where we do not judge others in this manner. I do not know the answer. I will admit that I look at find counts when I read cache logs online. More often than not the logs that claim the cache must be missing are from cachers with a pretty low find count. Aack! I must be an elitist. :)

i used to have to endure people coming up to me at events and on the trail and making comparisons between my find count and theirs.

"it's not a contest", i would tell them abruptly with lips that smiled and eyes that did not. then i would excuse myself. "i'm going to go stand over there now", i would say.

they still thought it was a contest, and they still felt a need to make the comparison. i did a lot of "standing over there".

After all of this you are STILL wondering? Then I'd say that it is likely that you are going to remain wondering.

Umm... It was a rhetorical question.

I thought it an interesting contrast between showing no numbers and numbers that were essentially bogus. If they are bogus and meaningless, then why not hide them? If anyone wants to answer that, then I'm all ears.

Here's my personal thoughts on this.

There is one major theme, which runs right throughout this forum from virtually tbe beggining.

Everyone plays the game the way they want to

Except for one part, the displaying of the number of finds.

Member A starts of hidding his/her/their find count. But at a later point in time changes that so the number is visible.

Member B starts of with his/hers/their find count visible. But at a later point changes that so the number is hidden.

In both cases the Member(s) are playing the game the way they wish.

Member C has no option but to have the found number displayed.

Member D has no option but to have the found number hidden

In both cases the member(s) have no option about how they play the game.

So to be allowed to play the game how they wish members should be able to chose to hide thier find count if they wish. No other reason should be needed, other than

Everyone plays the game the way they want to

Dave

Umm... It was a rhetorical question.

I thought it an interesting contrast between showing no numbers and numbers that were essentially bogus. If they are bogus and meaningless, then why not hide them? If anyone wants to answer that, then I'm all ears.

Umm... It was a rhetorical response.

Why should i have to explain my find count and why im not bothered about it to anyone wether it bothers me or not ? removing find counts eliminates the need for the conversation in the first place thats whats being asked for.

In any problem there are usually three components: people, process and technology.

You are never going to solve a people problem with technology.

Do you believe hiding the Find count will stop people from asking you about your finds? Will it stop those who want to judge you based on something like your find count from doing so? Heck no. If anything, seeing that your Find count is hidden will lead people to think that you feel caching is a competition and you can't keep up so you want to hide your "score" -- you know, the same way I figure every person driving a hybrid car must stop and hug every tree they pass? :D

Do you really see ever conversation as a battleground?

I guess I'm an optimist because whenever anyone has asked me about my number of Finds (or number of Hides for that matter!) I never took it as anything other than someone starting a conversation about a hobby we have in common.

Do you really see ever conversation as a battleground?

I guess I'm an optimist because whenever anyone has asked me about my number of Finds (or number of Hides for that matter!) I never took it as anything other than someone starting a conversation about a hobby we have in common.

Agree... I really don't get the point of all this, but maybe it's because I've got nothing to hide.

If you want a revelation, start looking at disabled cache logs, and you'll quickly see how a lot of these "big number" cachers got those big numbers. Found something that looks like it might at one time have been a tupperware lid? Log it as a Find! Found where you're pretty sure the cache probably was? It's a Find! Can't find anything, so you put out a "replacement" cache? Don't forget to log it as a Find. And a big slap on the back for being able to actually find the cache you just placed!

Keep the above in mind, next time someone talks about their "numbers".

LOL @ Prime, that sounds like exactly what some cachers in my corner of the woods are doing.

How about the one where you were there before and couldn't find it because of winter, and then later find out that is gone for sure (construction) and you go back and leave a piece of paper with your name on it and then log it online?

That one is true, it has happened in my neck of the woods. :D

How many times have you seen this conversation in the forums?

"What do you think of this cache? I'm going to make a cache look like a bomb and hide it under a bridge. That will be cool, ya think?"

Finds: 2, Hides: 0

What will happen (because this is how human nature works), when someone has: Finds: (HIDDEN), Hides: (HIDDEN), the assumption will be that the number is extremely low and that is why it is being hidden. I'm not saying that assumptions are a good thing, but that is what is going to happen.

Find and Hide counts are not a competition, but it does give some insight into the experience level of the cacher, especially when they are asking questions in the forums.

What's everyone afraid of?

i'm not afraid of anything.

i find bozos who insist on comparing my find count to theirs to be tedious and i really wish i didn't have to put up with them.

hiding my find count would make it much easier for me to excuse myself from the foolish conversation before it even starts. if you need to look at my find count in order to decide whether or not my ideas are good, off with you. i haven't the time. go on, scoot.

if you can't tell if my spiffy bomb-under-a-bridge cache is going to be any good without knowing the size of my find count/bank balance/SUV/genitalia, you should return to your village because they're missing their idiot.

i find bozos who insist on comparing my find count to theirs to be tedious and i really wish i didn't have to put up with them.

hiding my find count would make it much easier for me to excuse myself from the foolish conversation before it even starts. if you need to look at my find count in order to decide whether or not my ideas are good, off with you. i haven't the time. go on, scoot.

if you can't tell if my spiffy bomb-under-a-bridge cache is going to be any good without knowing the size of my find count/bank balance/SUV/genitalia, you should return to your village because they're missing their idiot.

Well, most of the time it's not as clear cut as the example I gave. Sometimes when people give examples of stupid behavior, they use the most extreme example they can come up with, because it injects some elements of humor into the conversation. Perhaps a more simplistic and realistic example would make it easier for you to understand?

Speaking of your SUV, i'm assuming it's rather large

Well, most of the time it's not as clear cut as the example I gave. Sometimes when people give examples of stupid behavior, they use the most extreme example they can come up with, because it injects some elements of humor into the conversation. Perhaps a more simplistic and realistic example would make it easier for you to understand?

oh, i understand quite clearly that you need to see people's find counts in order to judge whether or not their ideas are good, because hyperbole aside, you can't tell the difference.

it isn't my SUV that's large.

so, wrong again.

When I joined the geocaching community I accepted the ways it was set up. That includes showing the numbers of caches I and other cachers have have found.

Those of you that don't want to be part of the number competition don't join it, I haven't, but I don't mind showing my finds to everyone interested. And when I see someone's finds count I realize that the cacher might have found the caches in different ways, some have found the caches on their own, some have found them in cooperation with one or more other cahers and some might have found them on the map. But I enjoy seeing the figures anyway.

Saying that I'm not competing isn't completely true, I do compete, with myself. I try to be better for in some aspect every day. But I prefer to compare myself with - myself!

so why shouldn't I want to show the number of finds? Is the reason that I haven't found enough? Is it because I have found to many caches and will be suspected for fraud? None of these questions are relevant. If someone don't accept me and my number of finds that's up to them to be worried.

It seems to me that a lot of cachers like me want to show a lot of stastistics on their finds in their public profile. Even some of you who want to suppress the finds count have some bragging in your profile. I guess most of us want to show off a little for those who want to look. But no one is forced to look at the information.

I vote for keeping the numbers available for everyone!

Great post. I think that it was lost in the 'debate', however.

oh, i understand quite clearly that you need to see people's find counts in order to judge whether or not their ideas are good, because hyperbole aside, you can't tell the difference.

it isn't my SUV that's large.

so, wrong again.

After a certain point, I don't believe the find counts are very useful, but it does help to know whether a person is brand new to the hobby or has been around the block. Beyond that, I honestly don't really care. And I'm certainly not afraid for others to see how many finds I have claimed to have found.

When I joined the geocaching community I accepted the ways it was set up. That includes showing the numbers of caches I and other cachers have have found.

Those of you that don't want to be part of the number competition don't join it, I haven't, but I don't mind showing my finds to everyone interested. And when I see someone's finds count I realize that the cacher might have found the caches in different ways, some have found the caches on their own, some have found them in cooperation with one or more other cahers and some might have found them on the map. But I enjoy seeing the figures anyway.

Saying that I'm not competing isn't completely true, I do compete, with myself. I try to be better for in some aspect every day. But I prefer to compare myself with - myself!

so why shouldn't I want to show the number of finds? Is the reason that I haven't found enough? Is it because I have found to many caches and will be suspected for fraud? None of these questions are relevant. If someone don't accept me and my number of finds that's up to them to be worried.

It seems to me that a lot of cachers like me want to show a lot of stastistics on their finds in their public profile. Even some of you who want to suppress the finds count have some bragging in your profile. I guess most of us want to show off a little for those who want to look. But no one is forced to look at the information.

I vote for keeping the numbers available for everyone!

Great post. I think that it was lost in the 'debate', however.

Since the call is being made for an opt out, not a wholesale removal of stats, I don't see how it's relevant.

I'm very confused as to why anyone would oppose an optional feature. Don't use it if you want to display your stats. It's been pretty well established that counts are useless to anyone other than the cacher. Even if you want to gauge someone's ability when they DNFed, you can't know their true experience at the time they did a given cache (that's why I was in favor of static find counts on cache pages way back when). As to workload, no one can make that call but Groundspeak.

I'm very confused as to why anyone would oppose an optional feature. ...
Because it would change how others use the site.

Those that lobby for this change haven't demonstrated why their need is so great that it should affect how others use the site.

How would it affect how others use the site?

Rather than rehash this and every other related thread, let's look at it this way:

In order for this change to be useful to those who are requesting it, it must be true that there are players who are interested in the numbers of others, regardless of the reason. Removing the numbers of others would affect their use of the site.

Those that lobby for this change haven't demonstrated why their need is so great that it should affect how others use the site.

because it would change how others use my account against my will.

making people be in competitions they don't want to be in is very important to some people. how would they be able to harass me about my find count if they can't see it?

apparently that's an integral component of the game for some people, and they don't want it changed.

if the way you use the site is to enter into competition with other people, maybe you should stick to people who actually want your stinkin' useless apples-to-pianobenches "only-YOU-can-make-it-a-competition" competition.

if needing to lord your massive find count/bank balance/SUV/genitalia over me is a big part of the way you use a site that so far refuses to be a platform for official competition, you can take your teeny-tiny little self over there and while you're at it, why not stomp all over a tee-ball game?

i'm really sorry if the way you use the site depends on me and some others having our numbers available so you can be lord and master over us. it'd be really tragic if your enjoyment of the game was crushed because you can't make yourself look all big and mighty against us.

Rather than rehash this and every other related thread, let's look at it this way:

In order for this change to be useful to those who are requesting it, it must be true that there are players who are interested in the numbers of others, regardless of the reason. Removing the numbers of others would affect their use of the site.

So: if someone wants to protect their information, that means someone must want it and should be entitled to it, no matter why they want it. If I want a lock on my door, it must mean someone wants to get in, and locking the door would prevent that so I shouldn't be able to. I'm sorry, I find that argument weak at best.

No need to rehash whole threads. A reason or two to keep them globally available -- one that does not depend on the numbers' reliability, since we all seem to agree they are unreliable anyway -- will suffice.

Edited by Dinoprophet

i'm really sorry if the way you use the site depends on me and some others having our numbers available so you can be lord and master over us. it'd be really tragic if your enjoyment of the game was crushed because you can't make yourself look all big and mighty against us.

All things are possible.. That doesn't mean all things are advisable. If you want to change the site, which will affect everyone, then the responsibility falls on you to show why it is necessary to make a change that really does nothing positive for the site, except maybe make a few people feel less afraid.. I don't think the programmers are real interested in building a night light for you folks.. They've got better things to do.

All things are possible.. That doesn't mean all things are advisable. If you want to change the site, which will affect everyone, then the responsibility falls on you to show why it is necessary to make a change that really does nothing positive for the site, except maybe make a few people feel less afraid.. I don't think the programmers are real interested in building a night light for you folks.. They've got better things to do.

i've just had a look at your find count and decided that you're inconsequential.

all further ideas expressed by you will be forwarded to a deputy in charge of... oh, nevermind. i have nobody on staff to deal with gum on the bottoms of my shoes.