eTrex Vista Serial Cable connected to USB "conversion"

bluedog23

I have a etex vista with s serial cable. I haven't cached i a few years but would like to start again. My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I bought a USB to serial cable as a fix. Problem is my laptop recognizes the usb cable as a "device". When I try to send info to the GPsR I receive a error message saying the port is in use by another device. Any help please ?

I have a etex vista with s serial cable. I haven't cached i a few years but would like to start again. My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I bought a USB to serial cable as a fix. Problem is my laptop recognizes the usb cable as a "device". When I try to send info to the GPsR I receive a error message saying the port is in use by another device. Any help please ?

USB to RS232 converters are pretty tough to troubleshoot.

First, you need to make sure that it got installed correctly. Usually this comes in 3 steps:

1. Install driver

2. Plug in device

3. Let Windows detect device and install it.

Assuming you're using Windows, of course. If it's a Mac I really have no idea.

At the end of the installation, you should see a message saying that your device is ready for use. And you need to know what COM port it added to your system. Assuming you got all the information correct, your software (configured to use that COM port) should be able to talk to your GPSr.

Check your Device Manager to see if the device is functioning properly. It may also show you which COM port has been added.

Still working on it....the driver is installed (ok I think) I'll try the port isssue, thanks for the replies.

Check your Device Manager to see if the device is functioning properly. It may also show you which COM port has been added.

I've also found that things tend to work better if your force it to use a lower (1-4) COM port even if it defaults to something higher.