What kind of camera do you use for photos?

mud4x4

I have seen some VERY beautiful photography on this site. And I MUST say that they are VERY professional looking. And now I have to ask...

What kind of camera do you use?

- brand

- model

- mp's

- shutter speeds

And of course, lenses and techniques.

And any tricks and tips for us non-pro's to use would be greatly appreciated as well.

I love taking photo's but mine do NOT compare to what I've seen on this site.

EDIT - please add your favorite picture that you took with your camera.

Edited by mud4x4

I use my camera phone when I forgot my other camera(s)

I have an old junky HP digital that I usualy have with me.

I have a Nikon P80 Ultra-zoom that I take when I am expecting great views that deserve a better picture. It has 18x optical zoom (+ digital zoom), 10Mpix (so digital zoom doesn't destroy the quality), optical image stabalization, better than average light scensitivity, and it is not as bulky as a SLR. The lense is a wide angle for close ups, but the 18x zoom gets right in there for long shots.

The P80 was Nikon's first ultrazoon. It works prety good, but the new P90 looks extra impressive

Edit: And it doesn't use the horrible, always dying AA batteries. It has a custom Lithium Ion (you can by spairs for about $8 on e-bay)

Edited by Andronicus

I generally carry an Olympus Stylus 770SW on caching trips. Although it is a point and shoot it does pretty well and it is part of their "tough" series. Waterproof to 33 feet, crushproof, dustproof, can survive falls and has a cool LED illuminator that I have used as a flashlight more than once.

Here is a review that takes care of all the details. I have killed a couple of cameras hiking, but this one is surviving well. I also use my iPhone camera quite a bit, check my gallery for examples of my shots.

I have had a few old digital cameras that I rarely used...back when it was ta bit troublesome to get them downloaded to a computer. I tried the digital camera revolution again with my Nikon Coolpix 1500. It is a scant 1.5 megapixels but what I love most about it is the ability for the lens to swivel backwards to take perfect self portraits (with the caches I find, as an example) every time...then swivel it back around and use the closeup setting to snap a picture of my log entry (so I know what pictures go with what cache and what I traded and experienced). I have used it in all seasons and in all weather. I even backpacked 92.7 miles around Isle Royale with it and took over 1200 pictures...brought 3 rechargeable batteries with me and my Brunton Solaris solar panel charger and that kept me snapping away as much as I wanted.

Some day I may consider upgrading but it has to have the ability to take perfect self portraits every time. Things I would like: More resolution (more megapixels), the ability to run off of rechargeable AA batteries, a much better zoom, and a little better night capability (when it gets dark I can barely take legible pics of myself with the cache at arms length).

I use my Pentax X70, 12Mp and 24x optical zoom. It gives me everything I need from super wide angle to long telephoto. I also use a smaller Olympus Stylus 300 to keep in my shirt pocket when I don't want to carry the X70 with me.

Over the last 30 years I have used pretty much all Pentax and Olympus cameras ever made as I have always worked with the local importer/distributors for those brands.

:)

If I think it won't be too bulky or I think the cache location is going to be really spectacular I'll bring my Nikon D90 along. One of my favorite pics I have taken while caching with it is this one of a rusting manure spreader in an abandoned farm yard:

8ca7dca7-4f13-4fb3-9f7d-7018dcee88d4.jpg

When the DSLR is going to weigh too much or the risk of damaging it is too great I'll go back to my point-n-shoot Canon S3IS. It's an old model but the 12x optical zoom gives it a lot of flexibility and the photos still look great. Here are a couple of my faves from a hike up Baldy Mountain in Alberta: (This is the hiking forum afterall.)

d6d8fadf-5632-4ba3-ab37-7f1ef5236d05.jpg

6d93da1c-4ed9-4b82-8c10-3f3023612602.jpg

And, finally, when all else fails and I end up forgetting to pack either camera I used to pull out my iPhone. (I say used to because I dropped it in a creek while hiking and the camera no longer works.) I used the iPhone to capture our entire hike up Table Mountain in southern Alberta:

632289b2-0990-42e7-80b7-1a610b673dac.jpg

Sorry for posting so many images, but I just love caching, hiking and photography and can't resist sharing.

Sounds like quite a few of you guys use really good camera's.

I have seen alot of very nice pictures on this site.

But some of you are like me...use what ya got, whatever it may be.

I personally use a Polaroid 7mp camera, it only has 4x digital zoom (which I hate with a passion). It does okay, but at times it doesn't get good clear pictures and at night forget about it.

I would like to have/get a better digital camera that takes nice crisp pictures during the day and decent ones at night. But I also need it to be pretty cheap...does anyone know of a camera like that?

DanOCan - all of those are beautiful pictures. The picture of the manure spreader is just spectacular...looks like a post card ;)

And don't apologize for posting "too many pictures"....that's what I wanted.

I love beautiful photography...maybe I can take some like that one day. Plus as a bonus, by y'all posting pictures...I get to see scenary in your neck of the world.

So POST AWAY everyone. Keep posting those beautiful pictures and please share what kind of camera, equiptment or tricks of the trade you do/use for those wonderful pictures.

I don't know much about camera's. I have only had 'average' camera's...the type that just take okay pictures. I am trying to learn about the camera's that take better pictures. I don't plan on ever being a professional photographer, but it would be nice to take good pictures...especially without the price of the expensive units.

We use a Kodak Z1015 IS.

Personally, I have always disliked fully auto cameras, but this was a gift. It took awhile (and I am still learnin' it), but it does seem to come up with some amazingly clear shots in just about any light, extreme close-ups, panoramas, action, whatever! I am becoming more impressed with it all the time.

I still have my "older than dirt" Minolta 101 (along with 4 lens's, filters, extensions, etc. -- I do miss playing with I/R photos), but this new one sure does save on film purchases and the like. :)

I freely admit that it is not the camera that I would have purchased, but I do like it AND the "boss" can use it, too! ;)

58ba2f9a-09eb-482b-9c7b-65011676c4a1.jpg

889e50bf-2892-4542-a6cb-def4ce918b43.jpg

778b6475-c062-4bc2-81f6-7e8ac79c2933.jpg

acc5a05d-58e9-43c8-8cfd-a6824bf34d4f.jpg

e1fc6ebb-9168-4e4e-ac2c-3a0e262f299e.jpg

EDIT INFO: These shots are straight up, out-of-the-box camera. Both cloudy and bright days, auto settings.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I don't know much about camera's. I have only had 'average' camera's...the type that just take okay pictures. I am trying to learn about the camera's that take better pictures. I don't plan on ever being a professional photographer, but it would be nice to take good pictures...especially without the price of the expensive units.

I have to admit I take pretty good pics with the Canon. But you should see all the bad pics I take for those few pearls. Like geocaching, it is about the numbers.

Gitchee-Gummee - those are nice pictures...looks like something out of magazines ;)

I guess I should try to take more pictures to get those pearls.

Though my camera is slow in between pictures when the flash is on, it's very aggravating. And the 4x digital zoom...should've got one with optical zoom. Digital zoom is just too slow, especially if is something that's unexpected (wildlife, incidents, etc.).

mud4x4,

If you can get by w/o the flash, do so. If your camera is one of the "auto-everythings", it is the flash that slows everything down.

The Kodak that I am using, is (I think) about $275, I can't say for sure because I haven't the foggiest what the giver paid for it. I of course, had thought about cameras in the $800 - $900 range. As it stands, I am very happy with this one, and am not looking to replace it.

The digital AND optical zoom seems to work well.

But even with mine, the auto-flash really results in a "late" photo (at least later than the shot you wanted). I have taken photos when I should have used the flash, but they seem to come out fine w/o it. Somehow, the darn thing is able to compensate and is very forgiving.

I have to admit I take pretty good pics with the Canon. But you should see all the bad pics I take for those few pearls. Like geocaching, it is about the numbers.

Ah, but with photography, it is about the numbers. You said it yourself (bolded), the more you take, the more pearls you get! ;)

I fell in love with digital photography back when the hi-res was 640x480. No more film to burn through. I took a lot of pictures on film and now even more on digital format.

I fell in love with digital photography back when the hi-res was 640x480. No more film to burn through. I took a lot of pictures on film and now even more on digital format.

When I returned from overseas, I had to leave an entire footlocker full of nothing but negatives (FULL, I say), as my hold baggage limit was filled -- just couldn't leave that new parachute behind, could I?

Yes lots of junk, but a good number of pearls as you said. :);)

How wonderful digital wudda been back then.

DanOCan:

Just for grins, can you make that spreader into a sepia or b/w? You may well have something there.

Nice artistic depth. :rolleyes:

Whoops, forgot to check back on this forum for a few weeks. I actually did a completely "in camera" B&W version of that picture, albeit from a slightly different angle.

4222363658_b62f822d0c.jpg

I have one camera which is a Nikon D80. I have two lenses which I take with me - A Nikon 1.4G 50mm and a 18-70mm. The 50mm is my favorite but the 18-70 is better for wide angle shots. I sometimes take a tripod with me too.

The way I see it, when I go geocaching I go to find a cache and also beautiful subjects for making photos. The weight can be a hindrance but I'd much rather deal with that than miss a beautiful shot.

I'm considering buying a lighter weight Manfrotto 725B tripod and a Canon G11 point and shoot (one step down from a SLR camera). It's a $500 hit to the wallet but I've used a friend's and it makes some gorgeous photos.

But to be quite honest, anyone with any type of camera can make beautiful photos. You just need to be aware of what you're shooting and don't just aim. Compose your shot with that in mind and you'll end up with some great photos.

I have seen some VERY beautiful photography on this site. And I MUST say that they are VERY professional looking. And now I have to ask...

- brand

- model

- mp's

- shutter speeds

And any tricks and tips for us non-pro's to use would be greatly appreciated as well.

Here is an interesting article by Ken Rockwell It talks about taking better pictures with a $150 camera compared to a $5000 camera. To sum it up, its not the camera its the photographer. He also has some other interesting articles.

Chris

• Brand - Canon
  • Model - XSi (450D)
  • MP's - 12.2
  • Shutter speeds - Depends on the lens
  • Lens - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Lens - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Techniques...I try to bring my tripod, but it's a little on the big size for serious hiking. Then I bring the Gorillapod, but I actually have a cheap knock-off one and it's not very good. It's not all about the camera either. I've seen awesome photos taken on camera phones too.

Not my best photo, but a nice one I've posted here....

48ec4fd5-b69c-4805-a30a-75f6faf50e40.jpg

Edited by Nathan Wert

I almost always carry my D90 with me. I normal carry lens is a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 AF Pro D Macro. I can shoot all the current wildflowers and take landscape shots at the same time. My biggest gripe is the quality reduction needed to upload images with a cache log.

Lower quality images uploaded to a cache page:

70cd5488-ae62-4757-a165-9f24fd73d97a.jpg

Better quality image hosted on Flickr

4512372658_a82ecc0ccb_b.jpg

Most consumer grade digital cameras will do well for caching and posting. Stay with a known brand, such as Nikon or Kodak, but not limited to those. Take several shots of same thing, you get to choose which you like best and delete the others at no additional cost. Biggest factor in posting pics is keeping the size reasonable as some sites may limit and larger files take longer to upload.

- brand

- model

- mp's

- shutter speeds

Hey Mud4x4

although I haven't cached anything yet as I'm a newbie but I can offer some photo tips.

rule of 3rds:

divide ine image in the screen into 3rds (horizontal and vertical) giving you 9 sections and place your subject on one of the lines....so basically NO centered image shots.

http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

Frame the shot:

you can frame the subject image with a tree or something....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/d...omposition.mspx

keep it simple:

dont put a bunch or stuff to distract from the subject..

spend a little time here, there are some good tips. its a few links to some quick simple reads. (skip the ever present avderts)

http://asp.photo.free.fr/

this is one of my fav pictures, see how the path leads you INTO the picture, makes you wonder whats up there.

oops seems I cant upload a pic from my pc.....hmm sorry about that.

Haven't officially started geocaching yet, waiting for my gpsr to arrive in the mail, but when I do get out, I plan on using my Pentax K20D DSLR primarily as I will be out looking for landscapes/scenery as well as geocaches. ;) I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z280 that I won from Steve's Digicams Photo of the Day Contest for November that I carry around as well, just to have a P&S for some quick and easy shots.