New Garmin GPS - what maps should I purchase?

ClockGuy

I have no experience with a GPS or geocaching,. I live in south-central Indiana and I just received my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx from Amazon today.

I plan to start learning about my new toy this weekend and hope to get to the point that I can go geocaching in the Brown County state forest someday. I hope to find some easy geocaches locally and ultimately be able to go into the back country of southern Indiana.

Which maps should I purchase from Garmin in order to best utilize the features of my GPS?

Any tips on the use of my GPSMAP 60CSx would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Pete

I have a 60CSx also and after a few months of caching and trying out some of the free maps finally broke down and shelled out for the 1:24k Garmin Topographical maps for my area. It's been helpful, especially this summer out hiking and doing some caching around Mt. Ranier here in Washington. Sounds like eventually you'd like to get out in the woods and the topo maps might be useful in that case. But I would probably start with the free maps and see how you like it.

Good luck.

rtreit

Edited by rtreit

I have had excellent luck with the free maps from gpsfiledepot, but I also use City Navigator for auto routing which saves a lot of gas and time trying to get to the parking area. I believe I have payed for that software many times over from the gas I have saved.

Agreed, City Navigator is an excellent product. I use my 60CSX for driving all the time and CN rarely fails me.

Topo maps are useful once you leave the pavement. I have topo and CN on my 60CSX and switch between them as needed.