Geocaching tools

M.TEX

Ok I know that could be a strange question but let's start this way....

I know pocket knives are a NO on the rules , BUT IF I hide a cache in such way that need some kind of

" TOOL " to be found / opem is that also against the rules ?

Do you walk in the woodsand city without a pocket knife or multitool ?

I can't see myself without a pocket knife in any day....

So IF a cache need to be opem with a screwdriver is that also a NO on the rules ???

PLEASE let me know. Thanks

I am working on a cache placement that will require a tool to retrieve the cache. BUT, the hiding spot is about as visibly obvious as it gets, and I plan to list the cache as a mystery cache because finders need to solve a riddle to learn what that tool is.

I haven't submitted it yet because I'm still tweaking the hiding spot to make sure folks can't circumvent the intended method to retrieve the cache.

The hiding spot is a pretty typical thing you might find in that sort of location, so finding a cache there would be rather unusual. I've just had to "harden" it to be cacher-proof, because in its 'natural' state, it would be amazingly easy to force your way into the hide without the tool mentioned by the puzzle.

Leaving knives and such behind as swag is a definite no-no. That being said, if your cache requires a special something in order to get to it, retrieve it or open it, you should add it to the cache page as a requirement. Nothing worse then hiking out for a cache, getting to GZ, making the discovery and finding out that you need a torx screwdriver, a 30 ft ladder and a jug of mollasses. Well maybe no one will ever need all that but you get the picture. :)

I see nothing wrong with using pretty standard pocket tools as well as some unique TOTTs when retrieving caches. And, sometimes to even open them.

Standard to me includes:

Magnet on an extendable rod (sold in auto supply stores for parts retrieval)

Tweezers

Mirrors (like a dental tool or those again sold in auto stores)

Reacher/Grabbers - used to reach high shelves

Normal Swiss Army pocket knife with acccessories

Multi-tool - sometimes

Trekking pole - also to remove annoying spiders.

Any others???

Naaaah....I don't think I will be that dumb.... :blink:

But the GEOCACHER will need to have his on tool...I will NOT leave anything close or inside that is

against the game rules...

I did ask about the pocket knife , tool , just to make sure....

Like I said before , I CAN NOT see someone going for even a short walk in the woods

without some BASIC equipament. NOT a good idea....

BTW I live in Massachusetts Mtbikernate. I don't know what did you say...did you say something ? :laughing:

I see nothing wrong with using pretty standard pocket tools as well as some unique TOTTs when retrieving caches. And, sometimes to even open them.

Standard to me includes:

Tweezers

Multi-tool - sometimes

Any others???

At least one three section telescoping painter's extention pole, available from any home improvement store for about $20. That, a roll of duct tape, and a hook made of coat hanger wire will come in awfully handy sooner or later. I have two of them and can duct tape them together if I need to.

Yeap I see some people here like the same stuff I like it.

FLASHLIGHT it's a must have ! even in the day hours....

Backpack with first aid kit , and :laughing: toilet paper.... just to be safe !

I know some people that used Poison Ivy !!!! wow :blink:

also a light weight jacket even when it's hot ( it's all about your Area....and season )

MOSQUITO are bad and so other bugs....( Bugs spray on spring and Summer )

and the list keeps going and going....

Standard to me includes:

Tweezers

Multi-tool - sometimes

Any others???

I would add a good length of string to the kit.

I consider the swiss army knife/multitool the same class of tools. Pliers, screwdrivers, tweezers, and stuff like that can all be part of the tool.

I am planning a cache hide where a long extendable pole with a hook will probably be necessary at certain times of year, since my planned location is in a floodplain and the forest's rules requires that caches not be submerged. So I need to paddle into the area during high water in the spring to hide the cache. This one by itself will probably take just about all day.

By the way, the best telescoping mirrors come from small engine repair shops, not from Wal-Mart, etc. The most common ones are about the size of a dental mirror, and useless for most tasks. Spend a little more for one where the mirror is at least 2" in diamete like thisr: http://www.skygeek.com/ats-e22.html

I found a rectangular one that's 2"x3" whose extention handle is 12" long - perfect! Found it at one of the auto stores (Kragen or Pep Boys - don't remember which). Fit's real nicely in the back pocket.

Nothing worse then hiking out for a cache, getting to GZ, making the discovery and finding out that you need a torx screwdriver, a 30 ft ladder and a jug of mollasses. Well maybe no one will ever need all that but you get the picture. :D

Yea really. Like who goes hiking with a torx screwdriver anyways...... :laughing:

It's also nice to bring a mini crow bar, like a large, strong flat head screwdriver. This is especially important if you are hiking out for an ammo can. Those ammo cans can get stuck shut pretty well. The other day I had to bang one with a rock to open after not being found for 6 months.

Tweezers, screwdrivers, knife or file...all handy. May or may not be good to place a note on the cache page if the log is difficult to retrieve or cache is difficult to open.

If it requires equipment simply to arrive at the GZ like a boat, ladder, dive suit, climbing gear, etc. that's essential to mention and adjust the terrain level to match.

I haven't submitted it yet because I'm still tweaking the hiding spot to make sure folks can't circumvent the intended method to retrieve the cache.

good luck with THAT!

Never underestimate the power of denying someone a smilie.

make the riddle easy or you'll have a high maint hide.