Totally new and totally stuck

ARIELGIDDY

I just heard about this geocaching and thought it sounded amazing so I nipped out and bought a Holus geotagger http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228592 geotagger and ran home all excited to get started. I cant even work out the geotagger thingy! Im so disappointed. I am not that good at gadgets but so fancied trying this. Can anyone help with instructions on how to use the geotagger, as the ones online are so so bad, or suggest another piece of equipment that may be idiot proof and inexpensive enough for me to try again?

Don't know too much about the little beastie. Looks like an in-car model. Am I correct?

From the reviews that I (just) read, you have work to do so that you can geocache with it. For one thing, you have to change the datum, and I don't know if you can with that unit.

EDIT: Most review postings appear to be from bicycle (?) riders.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Don't know too much about the little beastie. Looks like an in-car model. Am I correct?

From the reviews that I (just) read, you have work to do so that you can geocache with it. For one thing, you have to change the datum, and I don't know if you can with that unit.

Thanks Gummee

Its a sports model I think and it looks like you need a degree in astro physics to work it out, but thats because I am so stupid with gadgets. It did say it was suitable for geocaching but I just cant figure out how. Any ideas on inexpensive other gps devices?

Never used that unit, but basicaly this is what you need to do (you will have to use the manual to figure out how to do these).

-Set the DATUM to WGS84.

-Enter the coordinates of the geocache(s) that you want to find as a waypoint.

-Tell your GPSr to navigate to the waypoint.

Since it sais that it is good for Geocacing, it should be able to do all these things.

Like Gitchee-Gummee mentioned, for the eTrex series, most of them can load waypoints from your computer, removing the possibility of data entry errors and simplifying things.

Never used that unit, but basicaly this is what you need to do (you will have to use the manual to figure out how to do these).

-Set the DATUM to WGS84.

Since it sais that it is good for Geocacing, it should be able to do all these things.

Like Gitchee-Gummee mentioned, for the eTrex series, most of them can load waypoints from your computer, removing the possibility of data entry errors and simplifying things.

Thanks for post.The manual tells you everything but the things required for geocaching. To be honest the more I loom at it and manual. I think they have stuck that inot description just to sell it. Its a great pedometer, step counter, calorie counter, even co2 counter but for gps its not good, unless I am missing something. I wonder if anyone else has one of these for geocaching?

Well the website to which you provided the link says you can:

Use the location finder to input co-ordinates of a geo-caching site and provide distance and direction indicators to find it

Suggest you use the same site to ask the question whether it is possible to Set the DATUM to WGS84 and how to do it.

Good luck!

Well the website to which you provided the link says you can:

Use the location finder to input co-ordinates of a geo-caching site and provide distance and direction indicators to find it

Suggest you use the same site to ask the question whether it is possible to Set the DATUM to WGS84 and how to do it.

Good luck!

Thanks

I am just not very good with gadgets i guess. I will try again. Thanks again

It's morally imperative I add to this thread. I was in the same position when I got into Geo-caching. I had (still do) a Lowrance I Finder Expedition C that had spent a year on a shelf because I could not for the life of me decipher the manual. No other GPSr experience and not much more than entry level skills on the computer.Admittedly a technical tard.

AG, It will come to you, this forum is a great tool. Just take it at a comfortable pace.

The manual for your unit does address Geo-cashing. At a quick glance I found it on pages 15, 16. Seems like a different vocabulary and coordinate format but the basics are there. I wish I could advise you on converting the format, but I'm sure someone here will soon. I would suggest you enter one cache close to you with a low difficulty level and recent finds logged. Then go find it. You don't have to understand all the functions of your unit yet, mix the learning and playing up a bit. Also spend some free time here going through old threads and posts, a wealth of information at your fingertips! Wonderful thing these computers.

I would (if I were you AG), see about returning the unit for a refund, and grab up something that doesn't make you "work" at making it work. I could very well be wrong, it may well be a serviceable unit, but there are many better for about the same or a little + in cost. I think you would be far happier with one of those. :)

Besides, I can just about guarantee that you will have a strong desire to upgrade units in the not-so-distant future anyway. If you can return for a refund, you should do so at this time as later, you probably cannot.

I hope this helps. :)

EDIT: an "oops" word, placed wrongly.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

As previously noted, the manual tells you how to set coordinates for up to five locations. It seems that they need to be entered in degrees, minutes, and seconds - but geocaching normally uses coordinates in degrees and decimal minutes. To convert degrees and decimal minutes to degrees, minutes and seconds, multiply the decimal part of the minutes by sixty. For example, to convert 50° 24.836' to degrees, minutes, and seconds you multiply the decimal part of the minutes by 60 to give the seconds:

0.836 x 60 = 50.16 -- so 50° 24.836' = 50° 24' 50.16"

That said, you need to be using WGS84 coordinates and I suggest asking Maplins to confirm that the device is set to that. If they cannot so confirm, I suspect that the device is not suitable for geocaching and I'd be looking to get my money back. If you do decide to return the device, note that this is one product type where Maplin are expensive IMO and you could have got a reconditioned eTrex (not the "H" model) from Handtec for less than you paid for the geotagger. However, you might want to splash out a bit more for the eTrex H, which has a high-sensitivity receiver and is more likely to keep a lock in the woods than either the geotagger or the "low-sensitivity" eTrex.

HTH,

Geoff

It's morally imperative I add to this thread. I was in the same position when I got into Geo-caching. I had (still do) a Lowrance I Finder Expedition C that had spent a year on a shelf because I could not for the life of me decipher the manual. No other GPSr experience and not much more than entry level skills on the computer.Admittedly a technical tard.

AG, It will come to you, this forum is a great tool. Just take it at a comfortable pace.

The manual for your unit does address Geo-cashing. At a quick glance I found it on pages 15, 16. Seems like a different vocabulary and coordinate format but the basics are there. I wish I could advise you on converting the format, but I'm sure someone here will soon. I would suggest you enter one cache close to you with a low difficulty level and recent finds logged. Then go find it. You don't have to understand all the functions of your unit yet, mix the learning and playing up a bit. Also spend some free time here going through old threads and posts, a wealth of information at your fingertips! Wonderful thing these computers.

Thanks for post - i appreciate it. Its good to know that others were as lost as me when they first began.!

As previously noted, the manual tells you how to set coordinates for up to five locations. It seems that they need to be entered in degrees, minutes, and seconds - but geocaching normally uses coordinates in degrees and decimal minutes. To convert degrees and decimal minutes to degrees, minutes and seconds, multiply the decimal part of the minutes by sixty. For example, to convert 50° 24.836' to degrees, minutes, and seconds you multiply the decimal part of the minutes by 60 to give the seconds:

That said, you need to be using WGS84 coordinates and I suggest asking Maplins to confirm that the device is set to that. If they cannot so confirm, I suspect that the device is not suitable for geocaching and I'd be looking to get my money back. If you do decide to return the device, note that this is one product type where Maplin are expensive IMO and you could have got a reconditioned eTrex (not the "H" model) from Handtec for less than you paid for the geotagger. However, you might want to splash out a bit more for the eTrex H, which has a high-sensitivity receiver and is more likely to keep a lock in the woods than either the geotagger or the "low-sensitivity" eTrex.

HTH,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I have had a look through the manual again and I guess I am just to daft to configure the damned thing! I am going to return it and look for an alternative like you suggested. I am unlikely to be out deep in woods as I live in a city in Scotland and do not drive so it will be more accessible caches I am looking for......and I cant wait!!

Thanks for your help and I will let you know how it goes. You lucky thing! He he I am just so keen to get going :)

HTH,

Geoff

I have purchased te first one you sugessted. I just hope I am not back here in a few days saying 'cant work it out. Help!' Fingers crossed

Thanks for post - i appreciate it. Its good to know that others were as lost as me when they first began.!

Ha......... we get lost all the time, but mostly on purpose. :)

Occasionally not lost, just stuck in the total darkness, walking into trees, etc. (remember spare batteries, ey)!

I think worrying about batteries is far to advanced for me Gummee - canny even get the GPS oot the hoose as yet! Im still plugged in to the mains! But I am planning on venturing forth once I find a gadget that tells me where to go. Funny, I used to just use these optical gadgets stuck in front of my face before! Suddenly the world has become ever more complicated.

-Set the DATUM to WGS84.

Thanks for reply,

I have managed to work out some of the gps thingy but I defo cant work out how to change the DATUM to WGS84. I tried entering co-ordinates and letting ti navigate me to a cache, but the available digits are 00 00 00 00 and the corodinates on the site are 00 00 00 000 so I dont quite know how to input it. I did try the x60 suggested above but it never got me to the right place either! Any ideas?

and this is one reason i have always been glad to be blessed(cursed) with being pretty techno savy. my first gps i used (geo-caching and not geo caching) was an iden 776 motorola phone thats coords were only in nad27 and a junk j2me program for tracking a phones where abouts that i found on a moped forum (cheap lo-jack for a scoot), no map just numbers that had to be converted before they could be used, at least your not starting there. i was lost for a minute so the less tech savy would have been like a caveman trying to use a super computer (look at the pretty lights duhhhhhhhh)..

welcome to this very addictive sport (crack for gerds) btw... you'll start learning faster and faster as you go and once you find a unit you like i can bet you'll stick with it (the GPS unit and caching).

**edit** - Spelling

Edited by KeeperOfTheMist

Ha......... we get lost all the time, but mostly on purpose. ;)

Occasionally not lost, just stuck in the total darkness, walking into trees, etc. (remember spare batteries, ey)!

I think worrying about batteries is far to advanced for me Gummee - canny even get the GPS oot the hoose as yet! Im still plugged in to the mains! But I am planning on venturing forth once I find a gadget that tells me where to go. Funny, I used to just use these optical gadgets stuck in front of my face before! Suddenly the world has become ever more complicated.

If Google maps has a good resolution Satelite/Ariel image of your city, you might just be able to get along with your eyes after all. Many urban Caches can be narrowed down most of the way with no GPS

This Geofrees is the Scottish geocaching forum. I believe it is quite a helpful place where you may be able to link up with someone in your area for some advice. (I'm not Scottish, but I know a Scottish geocacher online.) You have to become a member - but it's free.

There is also a UK forum somewhere here - no doubt Mrs Bolorange will be along shortly it point it out.

Get in touch with some other Scottish cachers, go to an event or out caching with them, and that will be your best route to learning new skills.

Annie (from new zealand)

This a very good GPSr....garminMap60CSx.....Check it out.....You get what you pay for....don't think "cheap"...think "inexpensive"...this is I think, the best starter GPS....Remember, cheap cost you more "down the road"......Most of us go through 2-4 GPSr before we get serious...."cost effective" is what it is called....stay safe.

We have over 40 geocaching videos called GeoSnippits Geocaching Videos. You will find tons of information, tips, tricks and everything you need to learn about geocaching. I highly recommend our Introduction to Geocaching videos to start.

You can also see our exclusive GeoSnippits videos on Michigan Magazine TV (RFDTV Network) which are seen in all 50 states every week.

-HHH :)