Blackberry Tour Caching

Autorita

Short and sweet:

I have a Blackberry Tour now with the unlocked GPS capability from Verizon and want to cache with it. Problem: I'm having trouble finding software that works well to do so as Trimble I believe is still not compatible with Verizon Blackberries (even the Storm and Tour-maybe I'm wrong, not sure). Even Googlemaps is worthless on my Tour as it runs too slow and crashes it all the time.

Any help for caching on the Blackberry Tour with Verizon???

I have a Storm on Verizon and have used Blackstar, GeocacheNavigator, and Cacheberry. Purchased Cacheberry and have been real happy with it. Have a friend also on Verizon that is testing both GN and Cacheberry with his Tour without issue. Under options, advanced options, GPS, you should have GPS data source set to Device GPS, GPS services set to Location On, and Location Aiding set to Enabled

Short and sweet:

I have a Blackberry Tour now with the unlocked GPS capability from Verizon and want to cache with it. Problem: I'm having trouble finding software that works well to do so as Trimble I believe is still not compatible with Verizon Blackberries (even the Storm and Tour-maybe I'm wrong, not sure). Even Googlemaps is worthless on my Tour as it runs too slow and crashes it all the time.

GN does work with the Tour. I use it. If you have problems installing it, check out their support forum.

Thanks for the input.

I downloaded blackstar but it didn't seem to be accurate or work well for me. I'll have to take a look at your guide...

I'm gonna research Cacheberry if you're saying it works with the Tour. GN? Are you referring to Geocaching Navigator? Same thing as Trimble with the monthly fee?

If you are on Verizon, GN can be purchased via Appworld for $19.99. This is a permanent license, and no monthly fees. There is also a 7 day trial available through Appworld. However, if you use your Tour browser and go to http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/rim/get/ I believe the trial is then at least 30 days. This would certainly allow you plenty of time to evaluate their product.

Cacheberry trial can be downloaded at http://www.cacheberry.com/downloadex.aspx and also allows for a 30 day trial. Purchase price is $14.95, and again, a permanent license.

I think GN has the advantage for spontaneous caching, particularly if you are out of your usual caching area. GN does require that you have a data connection available when you run the app as it pulls the closest cache info in real time from the gc.com website.

In my opinion, Cacheberry offers more functionality that I use on a regular database. If you are a gc.com premium member, pocket queries can be put to good use with Cacheberry. You have the option to save multiple databases on the SD card, so I have a "home" database which has the closest 500 non-found active caches, another database for when I'm visiting family in Ohio, and a "road trip" database that I overwrite with a new set of caches anytime I'm out on a road trip for work. There are multiple sorting options on the database as well.

During my evaluation of these two programs, I made postings to the support forums and found the support on Cacheberry to be much more helpful and responsive than I did with GN.

With generous free trials available on both, you really should try both and see which fits your needs the best.

If you are on Verizon, GN can be purchased via Appworld for $19.99. This is a permanent license, and no monthly fees. There is also a 7 day trial available through Appworld. However, if you use your Tour browser and go to http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/rim/get/ I believe the trial is then at least 30 days. This would certainly allow you plenty of time to evaluate their product.

Cacheberry trial can be downloaded at http://www.cacheberry.com/downloadex.aspx and also allows for a 30 day trial. Purchase price is $14.95, and again, a permanent license.

I think GN has the advantage for spontaneous caching, particularly if you are out of your usual caching area. GN does require that you have a data connection available when you run the app as it pulls the closest cache info in real time from the gc.com website.

In my opinion, Cacheberry offers more functionality that I use on a regular database. If you are a gc.com premium member, pocket queries can be put to good use with Cacheberry. You have the option to save multiple databases on the SD card, so I have a "home" database which has the closest 500 non-found active caches, another database for when I'm visiting family in Ohio, and a "road trip" database that I overwrite with a new set of caches anytime I'm out on a road trip for work. There are multiple sorting options on the database as well.

During my evaluation of these two programs, I made postings to the support forums and found the support on Cacheberry to be much more helpful and responsive than I did with GN.

With generous free trials available on both, you really should try both and see which fits your needs the best.

Thanks for the info Darkbeer, I will try cacheberry today and now that I know GN doesn't have a monthly fee, that next! I like the idea of spontaneous caching with my phone and using my real GPS for the big trips.

Short and sweet:

I have the blackberry tour (verizon) and I have been using cache

y