Geocoin question

IdaLabs

First of all, I hope I'm not posting in the wrong spot.

We've been geocaching for a few months now. I just love finding geocoins, checking out where they've been, how far they've travelled, etc. I would really like to have one, just one for now, of my own to track, but I'm still not clear on a few things. I've tried the FAQs, so maybe someone here can help.

To have one of my own with a tracking number, do I have to design and buy a whole batch?

Are there pre-designed coins to purchase where I can purchase just one? If so, then do you also purchase a tracking number?

Coins that are for trade or for sell in the forums are coins that have already been activated and therefore, wouldn't actually belong to me, right?

If anyone can get me started, I'd appreciate the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions :)

If you only want to buy one to activate, provide a mission and watch travel, you can buy them at any online retailer of geocoins (see the pinned threads for approved vendors). Some geocaching stores (both online and brick/mortar) have a selection of coins.

The ones you see on sale in the forums are trackable - some are activated and some are not. They will be clearly stated as such in the original post. Either way, you will still own the coin if you buy it (in 99% of the cases) as they will "adopt" an activated coin over to your account. If you are setting the coin free to travel anyway, this is a very economical way to purchase a geocoin as the majority of the time, activated coins sell for a bit less.

If you are looking for an unactivated geocoin, there are new designs coming out all the time and you can purchase them straight from the vendor or designer -- you can just keep up with reading threads in the forum to see the new ones.

If you post what type of coin you might like (perhaps something you have seen already or just a theme), we could provide you with some suggestions.

Hope that was helpful - others will probably chime in with anything I missed.

:) oh, and WELCOME!

Under the TRACKABLE ITEMS tabs and in the Geocoins section is a link to GEOCOIN HOME. There you will find, half way down under Geocoin Information, a tab labelled GEOCOIN RESELLERS AND MANUFACTURERS.

GeocoinsHome.jpg

Here you can order and purchase 1 geocoin or 100 different ones. Unless otherwise indicated they are unactivated and trackable on geocaching.com. You can activate them, give them a mission and send them off to journey far and wide (or not so much) or you can trade them, list them on Ebay or whatnot.

You can also commission your own batch of coins to be minted but I think that goes beyond the scope of your question.

Have fun exploring and shopping.

Edited by Droo

How much do the vendors charge for making your own coin and a minimum batch?

There are many variables so you'll have to contact each vendour for pricing or quotes if you have a particular design in mind. Some have tables or worksheets based on features you want on your coin to come up with a ball-park quote.

How much do the vendors charge for making your own coin and a minimum batch?

There are many variables so you'll have to contact each vendour for pricing or quotes if you have a particular design in mind. Some have tables or worksheets based on features you want on your coin to come up with a ball-park quote.

some of the variables include size, number, trackable or not, numbered, shaped or round (if shaped are actually geocoins (but that's another post,) If shaped, how intricate, coin thickness, ect....if you know of a coin you really like, contact the the owner and they should be able to tell you who made it for them...I'll be waiting for a trade once you get going :) .

ILYK

Thanks, that gives me some help to start looking around. I think I'd like to find one with labrador retrievers or something to do with Michigan maybe. I can just see me starting to collect :blink:

ELTADA mentioned brick/mortar stores. Is there a listing somewhere? I'd love to go to one of those!

I don't know of a listing of actual stores - and wouldn't be familiar with any in your area. You might find them hard to come by to be honest as an online shop would be easier/more cost effective. You'll just have to ask around in your area or google it.

We have a place in a nearby city that is an online shop mostly but comes out to events with their wares and allows in-person pickup (pre-arranged). So there might be similar set-ups in Michigan.

As far as Michigan coins go - I would maybe approach someone from MiGO (are you involved with them already?)...I know there is at least a couple of members that are regulars on this board...they could probably give you some ideas on different Michigan coins that you might like.

Coins that are for trade or for sell in the forums are coins that have already been activated and therefore, wouldn't actually belong to me, right?

Half wrong, and half right...

"Coins that are for trade or for sell in the forums" are usually NOT already activated, they are brand new coins, unless it's stated that they are already activated.

"coins that have already been activated ..., wouldn't actually belong to me, right?" this is correct, Coins that you find in Caches or at events that are already activated belong to another player as a traveler, unless there is information stating that you may keep it.

Minting your own design isn't exactly cheap as many vendors have minimum numbers / penalities for not having minumum numbers, but if you have the capital to do so, I can say I'd well recommend it!

Generally, a run of 250 coins or more is required for efficiency as there's a minimum fee for getting a coin its own icon (and it's worth doing that as it adds value to th coin). However, you're not limited to 250 of the same coin colors/metals - there are a number of variables you can change to make, say a limited run of coins of a specific metal for example (though most vendors will charge a small amount extra for runs under 100 to cover the costs of changing settings on the machines, which increases the less you mint).

Bear in mind that you may well have to find a method of selling the coin too - I set up an entire web site and shopping cart for my sales - linked to in my sig below (though almost all the coins have long since sold out).

If you have a good design, the coins will literally sell themselves out within weeks though word of mouth here if nothing else. My first 200 Eclectic Penguins went in 3 weeks and a second batch of 100 sold in about the same amount of time. The puffins I subsequently designed and minted took a little longer to sell out - about 6 weeks.

First of all, I hope I'm not posting in the wrong spot.

We've been geocaching for a few months now. I just love finding geocoins, checking out where they've been, how far they've travelled, etc. I would really like to have one, just one for now, of my own to track, but I'm still not clear on a few things. I've tried the FAQs, so maybe someone here can help.

To have one of my own with a tracking number, do I have to design and buy a whole batch?

Are there pre-designed coins to purchase where I can purchase just one? If so, then do you also purchase a tracking number?

If anyone can get me started, I'd appreciate the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions ;)

If you're looking for just one or two to send traveling...Many people find them laying around in their mailbox...you might try checking there(in a couple of more days).