When you were muggle did you ever accidently find a cache?

There is a popular series where live called "The Realm of the Caching Gnome", before I knew of geocaching (ohh lets say maybe 2005) I was walking a a bit off the beaten path of a popular trail, and came across a ceramic figure of a fairy on a mushroom this tucked away inside a log. I examined the figure and was so perplexed as to why and who would randomly put a statue in the middle of the woods. I just assumed that kids had a club house or some "wacky" adult was trying to coax out "real" fairies (to each his own). It was odd enough to stick in my mind, and when I finally became a geocacher and was looking up caches I was surprised to be taken around the same spot as this the fairy from years ago!

So, does anyone else remember stumbling on a cache when they were a muggle?

No, but I think I had a dream about caching. I remember being in the woods and finding a box that said something about "official gamepiece".

That's all I recall. When I started caching, I found a cache with the usual sticker on the side. I thought, "Hey, this is just like that dream."

Strange but true.

i have. one day me and a friend were driving down a road and seen these people really giving this tree a thorough examination. well we turned around and found the tree after they had gone and found this plastic box with a sticker on the top.. seeing the "official" part of official geocache made us think to leave it alone but always wondered what it was.. lol

then while looking for games i could play with my phones GPS i find this :) oh yeah instant addict :)

Im new to Geo Hunting, infact I just learned what it is 5 days ago. I had seen on Garmin website and on packback reviews people talking about Geocaching and thought it was somthing totally differnet lol. Then I did a google search to finally figure out what Geocaching is all about and its right up my ally!

Anyway back on topic, Im in the Army stationed in Germany and two years ago my Wife and I got a Lab puppy. We went on a walk down a walk path and had a family pass us holding a GPS. I could tell they where on a mission lol. About 200 meters up the trail we caught up with them and they had drop their packs and where walking looking at the ground. We had no idea what they where doing at the time lol. I thought it was strange and so did the Wife. We even told our friend about what we sol and that it seemed strange.

So after finding out what Geocaching is and then finding this great website, I did a search on my area. Sol a cach and then check it out on Google Earth and guess what? It's the same exact locations that family was at lol lol.

Along that same path there is 5 differnet cachs and I use to spend a lot of time on that path chaseing a Lab and never came across ONE! I am really mad at myself for not finding out what Geocaching was sooner. I love to hide and backpack and I feel that Geocaching will add a really cool twist. This weekend I am going to find at least 10 caches. Sorry to go off a rant but I think the story is kinda of funny.

Take Care,

Kirch

Yep, sure did. Checking out a possible fishing site, came across a Loc-n-Loc taped up w/camouflage, poking out if it's hiding spot (so much for that re-hide, ey?)! Opened and checked it, of course. First thing was the geo-intro sheet and the bells started dinging in my head, having remembered a very tiny news clip about this so-called high-tech treasure hunting game going worldwide.

The two with me asked what I was going to do with it, and were actually surprised when I said I was putting it back (they STILL don't geocache). I signed as requested and returned it to the same spot, but hidden better.

I was a good muggle, ey!

Two years later I looked into it more, looky me now, I be a geocacher. One of the other muggles will soon be, as I am going to drag him out of his house and get him lost a few times. He is interested but hesitant w/o some guidance, though he did find one next to a McD's after watching people paw through the weeds in the next lot last summer (so much for stealth, ey?)! In fact, he has told some where he works about it, and they have jumped on the bandwagon, bought GPSr units and are having a ball. :)

While I agree with the previous poster about how I never was a muggle, my daughter did find a cache on a school trip to a local volcanic area, whereupon she showed me a container she had found when we were hiking around the area . . . which some other people we came across identified as a geocache. I would like to say the rest is history, but it took several months to do anything with this knowledge.

Edited by Erickson

Not me personally. But I sought and found a geocache that is hidden among some rocks overlooking a beautiful stretch of the Eno river. I sat on a rock and read through the log book -- something I really enjoy when (1) there is a log book big enough to contain more than initials and (2) the cache is in an area where one can sit and enjoy it for a few minutes.

Anyway, on the second page of this log there was a note from a group of students who found it during a field trip. They wrote a whole page about how much they enjoyed stumbling over it and how they were looking forward to visiting the geocaching.com website to learn more about it.

I can't really explain why, but that note made my day. It's one of my more memorable caches to date.

(Pet peeve: Finding an ammo can in a remote area with a nice rock or fallen tree to sit on, and a real logbook with lots of room, and all that's written in the book are names and dates. But it's still better than a parking-lot micro.)

Edited by GeoGeeBee

I vaguely recall finding a bison tube with some paper in it around 2003. I wasn't sure what to make of it, so I rolled it back up and carefully put it right back where I found it. I don't even remember where it was that I found it, so it might just be a fever dream. :blink:

I think thats called presence........you dreamed of the future.

I've never been a "muggle"

I used to be sociable, even had friends once.

But I've never been a muggle.

Sure you were!

In our parlance a muggle is simply one who is unaware of the game of geocaching.

The term is borrowed from the Harry Potter books where 'muggles' are unaware.

By that definition then before you learned about geocaching you were a muggle! :blink:

I've never been a "muggle"

I used to be sociable, even had friends once.

But I've never been a muggle.

Sure you were!

In our parlance a muggle is simply one who is unaware of the game of geocaching.

The term is borrowed from the Harry Potter books where 'muggles' are unaware.

By that definition then before you learned about geocaching you were a muggle! :blink:

hmmm I wondered if it was from the Harry Potter books.

The first cache I found was when I was a muggle. I was at track practice and a few of us were hiding in the woods to avoid a long run. Needless to say, I stumbled on an ammo can tucked into the base of a tree. I thought it was a bomb at first, never having seen one, but that quickly subsided and I opened it and read the cache note. Needless to say, I've been caching ever since!

No, didn't even know about geocaching. Luckily, Popoki Nui has eagle ears and heard a brief dicussion about it on the radio. Soon after that, she bought her first GPSr, and our first find was one called "Bottom's Up." It was at a beautiful lookout beyond a new subdivision. The lookout is still there, but housing has now encroached on the site. I was the one who went "bottom up" to retrieve the cache.

Yes and no...

It was in my youth, when a friend of mine and me used to play private investigators and similar stuff, based on some books like "The three ???" and similar stuff. One day, we were "investigating" another "suspicious" place, when we found a strange box. Whow, this was really exciting, as we were sure to have found some "dead mailbox" of some spies or even worse. :) A mysterious box with a small notebook in it, where some dates were noted. And strange things too, which I cannot remember any more.

Of course we muggled it and carried it to my mother who had no idea at all, what it could be. If I remember right, she finally guessed some kind of game and suggested to place it, where we found it. There my memories end.

This happened a very long time ago, like 30 years and more. So I think I can state it was no "geo"-cache. But still I believe it was kind of the geocaches grandfather.

No, not personally. I did hear alot of rumors from family members saying "I heard there was one of those cache things hidden somewhere over there". I finally got sick of it and went out and got my own GPS, found all of those "cache things" they were talking about. And yes I've been hooked ever since. :)

My partner at work did find one while hiking with his family in the woods, I don't think he would have known what it was if he didn't hear me talking about it all the time.

My first cache ever was an accidental find. I was exploring along the lava caves on Maui and stumbled upon a cache. Went back to my hotel room and went online to find out what it was all about.

I looked recently to see if the cache was still active but found out that it was lost right after my visit. It doesn't surprise me since I returned it exactly as I found it which was horribly exposed and only about 8 feet above the waterline. In that cave there wasn't much you could do to put it above the waterline but it could have had a few rocks placed over it.