Event fee/donation request

genegene

I'm curious about how others feel about going to an event where the host/hosts are requesting a Registration Fee/Donation to help cover the cost of the hamburgers, hot dogs, Pig Roast, etc...

I'm not thinking like a ton of money but maybe like $5.00 per person to help cover the cost of all the food and prizes for the event.

Friday: Dinner

Saturday: Light Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Sunday: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Last year we ended up running out of the essentials (Hot Dogs and Hamburgers) Saturday night and taped into the personal stashes of a few generous people who then ran out themselves and were staying till Monday afternoon.

Last year Between all the meat and the Pig Roast it cost well over $250 above what we raised from the previous years event.

Even though I list it as a Pot Luck Picnic, I have noticed that people are bringing less and less to the event, and there is a lot of "What do you still need" e-mails that I cant answer in the last week because that's when most of the "will attends" start posting.

This is not the first or second event that I am doing and it is starting to get bigger every year that we host it now that the word is spreading about the stuff that we do.

I am just wondering if its getting to the point that if it is truly going to become better then the previous years and we have enough food, should I list that it is still going to be a pot luck picnic but there is a Registration/Donation fee requested when the person arrives to "help" with the additional cost of building our event and to help cover any additional food runs.

Please post your opinions, suggestions and ideas to help me make a decision on this matter. I do NOT keep any of the money, it all goes back into the event.

Gene G.

genegene

I had no problem taking a collection for a shuttle service during the 2nd annual MN canoe-in geocaching event. Just politely put in the cache listing that if you expect to hop on the bus, we'll be asking for a fiver. No one seemed to care. As for food, I'd make it potluck and call "too bad" on those that fail to bring chow.

Charging a fee at the door is OK, so long as it's clearly disclosed on the event listing, and the amount of the fee is reasonably related to the actual out of pocket costs incurred by the event organizer.

With all those meals you're providing, I would not bat an eye at a $5.00 fee if I were reviewing your event submission.

Charging a fee at the door is OK, so long as it's clearly disclosed on the event listing, and the amount of the fee is reasonably related to the actual out of pocket costs incurred by the event organizer.

With all those meals you're providing, I would not bat an eye at a $5.00 fee if I were reviewing your event submission.

I was going to say,, $5.00 for Friday's dinner, 3 meals on Saturday, and 3 meals on Sunday is a steal. For that price, it would almost be worth it to drive up from Texas just to partake in the food! :)

I'm not sure what's going on up there but potluck here always brings in more than enough good food for everyone to enjoy. One thing that i see on some of the potluck events in our area is that those attending are asked to post what they plan on bringing. Like you, we do have people who log their intentions at the last minute so that does make it a bit harder for finalization, but it usually works out well anyway.

We also have events where the meat (bbq brisket, hot dogs, burgers, etc,,,) are supplied by the event organizers. Money is had through various means such as auctions and/or raffles at previous events and it's always been plenty. All the other incidentals such as eating utensils, condiments, bread, desserts, etc,,, are brought by those attending.

Just curious,,, Why do you feel that ya'll need to provide all the meals for the entire weekend?

Edited by Mudfrog

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you may also want to enlist a fellow cacher to compile a "pot luck" list of who is bringing what and update the cache page with it so people know what is needed.

OR, I remember an event that had a link where it was all automated with an online list in real time, can't remember it though