Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Ashallond

GPS Lesson plans for math

Hey, I got a grant to snag a bunch of GPS units for the class to use, and I was wondering if anyone out there has a lesson plan or two that works with trig, triangles, or anything that a GPS could measure that would fit into an Algebra II or Pre-Cal type situation.

Thanks.

You could probably work my puzzle cache "Slope Distance" into a lesson plan. See what they can do with a word problem.

Feel free to use my idea on a local hill/mountain that already has a cache near the top.

Hey, I got a grant to snag a bunch of GPS units for the class to use, and I was wondering if anyone out there has a lesson plan or two that works with trig, triangles, or anything that a GPS could measure that would fit into an Algebra II or Pre-Cal type situation.

Thanks.

It is not easy when the technology does all the math for you.

Hows this for a suggestion.

If you have two or more units, send the individual units to different known sites, i.e. survey marks of known horizontal position, so that all units are observing at the same time (and observing to the same SVs). Make sure the sites are good GPS sites and the observations are for 3-10 minutes and compare your results against the known values.

First bit of fun is finding the marks and the second is your results, i.e. how close you came to the known marks.

This is the only thing that comes to mind, i.e. Algebra and GPS.

Hope this is of some help.

I've been out of school to long to know what exactly you are looking for. Since GPS itself is an applied math. Using 3 dimensional geometry, triangulation etc. For a suggestion, hide 3 caches with distances listed inside of their distance from the final. Then you can calculate the where the final point is. This is how gps works as there needs to be a minimum of 3 satellites to get a fix (in theory)

Math Teacher here...

How about using the Long/Latt of known caches in your area and plotting them on a coordinate plane (aka map). Use the map points to calculate the distance and midpoint of the points using the formulas.

Visit the actual cache sites and take actual GPS readings. Download the waypoints taken at the actual cache site and import the locations into caltopo or google earth to measure the distances and compare to the calculated results based on formulas and given coordinates.

I did a lesson on plotting ordered pairs using Geocaches on the Geocaching.com website and thinking of the equator as the x-axis and the Prime meridian as the y-axis. The kids' question...can we go find a cache? Alas, the closest cache to the school is not in walking distance AND I don't have a grant for GPS devices! : )

I think this is a great video on youtube by NASA on how GPS works that you could share with your class

Not really sure what you mean by lesson plan exactly, but my brother uses this website, which has a lot of pre-calc, algebra 2 subjects layed out? Why those two topics specifically?