Muggles' Are They a Threat

swahe

In logs and forums posts I have have read several comments about avoiding the mugglers. I understand that are mostly harmless. But what are the circumstances where they can be harmful? Are they a threat to what we do Geocaching. Are there stories of mugglers finding caches and stealing them? If you have mugglers do you stop 'caching? Obviously I'm new. Just wondering what the etiquette is to protect the integrity of a geocache?

Thanks for your feedback - Stefan

In logs and forums posts I have have read several comments about avoiding the mugglers. I understand that are mostly harmless. But what are the circumstances where they can be harmful? Are they a threat to what we do Geocaching. Are there stories of mugglers finding caches and stealing them? If you have mugglers do you stop 'caching? Obviously I'm new. Just wondering what the etiquette is to protect the integrity of a geocache?

First, let me say that the correct name is "muggles", as in your thread's subject, not "mugglers" as in the body (I acctually saw "muffles" used in a log the other day!).

I don't know... good question. I guess it depends on the situation and on the age of the muggles. If the muggle happens to be someone that owns property adjacent to the park and has an issue with people poking around in the woods near his backyard, that muggle might be a problem.

If the muggles are a group of (to stereotype here) adolescent males with too much time on their hands, those muggles may be a problem. However, if it is a family on a walk with their children and their dog and they happen to catch you with the cache, odds are the cache is going to be just fine. My two cents.

What knowschad said.

What you may read in the forums does refer a bit to muggles, but usually a problem is the cache thief or maggot, which generally is going to be a disgruntled cacher, or some other sicko that figures a way to mess with people.

The everyday muggle is not a problem -- it's just a person who doesn't (as yet) geocache! :huh:

Ditto the above...and I add...

When a cache description of forum post warns about muggles, it is mostly referring to the fact that you (the potential finder of cache) should use some stealth, don't rattle around a lamp post skirt and yell at your buddy across the parking lot, "Hey! Look, I found it!" You never know who might take issue with your "snooping" around. This is less of an issue in the woods with the family out for a hike with the dog (to sight a previous example).

Use your judgment. The idea is NOT to keep the rest of the world in the dark regarding our little obsession...er...game. It's just best to help caches stay safe from non caching folk who might want to steal or vandalize it.

If I can't be stealthy :) due to the proximity of the muggles, I usually abort the mission. :) My fear is not that I will be caught, but that the muggle will come check it out after I am gone and then possibly remove the cache. That ruins it for the rest of the cachers who could have been next. I think it's one of the fun parts of the game though, to get to it and grab the cache without drawing any attention requires skill..!! :D What's the harm you ask..?:) Well if a cache that contained a coin or TB was discovered by a muggle and went missing... :D...bummer. There was a cache in my local area near a very popular teenager swimming hole and the cache never lasted more than a day or 2 without being destroyed. I think it's all in how obvious you appear and of course who is watching. Use your judgement and don't fear the DNF with a promise to return later..!!

As someone-who-knows-a-dog-that-wears-glasses said: it varies considerably. I've done many caches in Central Park, in New York City, where hundreds of muggles have walked by while I was feeling up the bridge railing, or checking the grate, or looking in the bushes. And nobody ever even saw me. And the same is frequently true in midtown. I got an honorable mention from some cachers from Philly when I ploppd my backback down against the sign that several people were leaning against. I tied my shoelace, and palmed the cache, and no one saw anything. Plopped the backpack down again a few minutes later, searched through the bag, replaced the cache.

You have to know your muggles. Is anyone watching what you are doing? Then be cautious. If they're just walking/hiking by, then you're probably safe.

Muggle.........Anyone who does not geocache.

Muggled.......A geocache that has been messed with by a muggle.

Muggler Muggle........A muggle that has messed with geocaches.

As in.......The cache was muggled by a muggler muggle, while the other muggle watched out for geocachers.

Sorry... you had a couple of typos :blink:

I like muggler - a naughty muggle

Muggle.........Anyone who does not geocache.

Muggled.......A geocache that has been messed with by a muggle.

Muggler Muggle........A muggle that has messed with geocaches.

As in.......The cache was muggled by a muggler muggle, while the other muggle watched out for geocachers.

Sorry... you had a couple of typos :blink:

We have a friend that had no idea what geocaching was. So one day why she was at work she seen a gruop of people walking around the parking lot the 1st time she thought nothing of it but she seen it a couple more time so see called the law and said she thought there where drugs being dealt in the parking lot so mugglers can be big trouble some time.

If muggles weren't a threat, then why hide the cache in the first place? The hiding from each other is a byproduct of hiding from muggles.

Some caches are placed in areas where they might be particularly vulnerable. Even if the cache has permission from the land owner or manager, they can be mistaken for lots of things, from litter to pipe bombs. And if you are in need of a small container, they can come in handy should you find something lying around. Or people could just have an objection to others leaving plastic containers or ammo cans in an otherwise pristine environment. So while I would not classify anybody as a threat, I try to be aware of my surroundings and make appropriate judgments.

There are several threads dealing with whether to be stealthy or as confident as possible when searching areas where others might notice you (how confident am I ever going to be looking for a four-star camo on a busy street?).

Edited by Erickson