How do you delete Geocaches from Oregon 400t?

mutt&bob

I have been using a GPS 60CSx for geocaching and now I have a Oregon 400t. I cannot find how to delete my found caches. Can someone tell me how to do this (please, keep it simple). Thank you.

I don't own one but I'm sure you can find your answer here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

It is in there, and the answer is that you can't do it from the unit. Your only choice is to reload the geocaches after removing found caches.

Perhaps if you describe why you want to do it, we can suggest an alternative way of doing it?

Can someone tell me how to do this (please, keep it simple). Thank you.

What you'll want to do is, take the service cord supplied along with the unit, plug it into your computer. let it update and save the files (it does this automatically) - then go to "my computer", open up the "Garmin Oregon", Open up the file "Garmin", then open up the "GPX" file.

There are all the caches you put into your 400t. You can delete them individually, or all of them together.

They are so easy to load, I just delete them all each time.

Hope this helps..

My computer, Garmin Oregon, Garmin, GPX - then delete what you want.

Edited by Snyder Bear

I have been using a GPS 60CSx for geocaching and now I have a Oregon 400t. I cannot find how to delete my found caches. Can someone tell me how to do this (please, keep it simple). Thank you.

I don't own one but I'm sure you can find your answer here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

It is in there, and the answer is that you can't do it from the unit. Your only choice is to reload the geocaches after removing found caches.

Perhaps if you describe why you want to do it, we can suggest an alternative way of doing it?

Just not to clutter my machine.

What you'll want to do is, take the service cord supplied along with the unit, plug it into your computer. let it update and save the files (it does this automatically) - then go to "my computer", open up the "Garmin Oregon", Open up the file "Garmin", then open up the "GPX" file.

There are all the caches you put into your 400t. You can delete them individually, or all of them together.

Hope this helps..

Almost what I would say, if you want them all gone try this:

1) Plug into computer

2) Open "My Computer" on your desktop or in your start menu

3) Double click on "Garmin Oregon"

4) Double click on the "Garmin" folder

5) Double click on the "geocache_visits"

6) Delete everything or individual logs.

The "geocache_visits" is the hard copy that is stored in your GPS Oregon unit.

Unless you delete them here manually, they WILL show up in your field notes if the box is not checked to ignore logs before "??/??/????" date.

P.S. Using GSAK will not get rid of anything located here.

<Drive>:\Garmin\Geocaches_Found.txt is your field notes file. You can load this directly to your account to help log caches. You probably want to delete this after you upload.

<Drive>:\Garmin\GPX\* is all your GPX files of caches in your pocket queries. You probably want to delete all the files here. When you get a new GPX file (or unzip the .ZIP file) and put the new ones here. Or use programs like GSAK to put up to 2000 caches in here.

The fore mentioned link to the Wiki is your best source to get the ball rolling. There are quite a few steps involved and which ones and how depend on your personal habit and/or preferences.

Basic steps, regardless of which GPS

1) Run Pocket Queries

2) Clean out data

3) Prep new data as desired (GSAK, filters, raw data, etc)

4) Put new data on GPSr

5) Go caching

6) Get list of found caches from GPS and log them accordingly

7) Go to step 1.

iPhone users have a couple less steps.

Edited by Moose Mob

short simple answer: you don't or can't on the unit itself.

Longer more complicated answer: What Moose Mob said.

Edited by geomouser

short simple answer: you don't or can't on the unit itself.

Longer more complicated answer: What Moose Mob said.

The only way to delete ANY previous Found It, DNF, Notes, etc... is to erase them off the internal drive of the Oregon 400t. I'm not sure why you think that you can't. Once you do it the way I said, nothing will be left to view at all.

GSAK will not get rid of / replace of anything but .gpx files.

I think the OP was asking about a permanent delete of previous finds.

So... if I am getting it right, the syystem, as Garmin thought it, will upload all cache found as my field notes? Again, as Garmin thought it, in a couple of years I will have 3.000 caches found and everytime I upload field notes, all 3.000 caches found will be uploaded?

I see something supposed to limit caches shown. But the date / time it's not editable and anyway, I can't make it work. Is this as bad as it looks?

It does seem kind of silly that there is no way to delete the field notes file on the unit itself. Of course, to access the field notes file, you will have to plug your Oregon into your computer, and that enables you to easily delete the file. And it should be the only time you need to delete the file. Looks like some kind of automation on the computer side for this process would be ideal.

You don't need to edit it and delete all entries in it. Nuking the file will work just as well and is much faster. The unit will recreate the file.

I also found out that deleting the file does not make your "found" geocaches turn into unfound. Apparently as far as the Oregon is concerned, this file is "write only".

Hope this helps..

Dear Snyder Bear,

TFBTOOTAF&S (thanks for being the only one to answer fully & simply.