High Terrain Earthcaches

geodarts

A recent log on another thread addressed potential safety issues. It made me wonder how many earthcaches have high terrain ratings (four+ or five stars). Perhaps because I have done many earthcaches with family members who are less adventurous, and there have been some hikes we have not had time to do on an initial visit to an area, most of the earthcaches I have done are along well-established trails or public "viewing areas." I wonder if the requirement for permission from land managers or park officials, who might be less inclined to give approval to one where the terrain is particularly high, might account for this as well.

I have to admit, on a recent trip to Yosemite, I was glad that Terrydad2 did not want me to study geology and take a close look at granite, from the location below:

3937e326-5585-48b3-9919-397e294ebd0c.jpg

A recent log on another thread addressed potential safety issues. It made me wonder how many earthcaches have high terrain ratings (four+ or five stars).

I have encountered (but not visited) a few Earthcaches with high terrain rating. Note, however that 5* does not necessarily mean that it is very hard as the necessity of a boat e.g. induces a 5* rating as e.g. here

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ec-948cc5d2769e

Of course, there are, however, also quite demanding 5* Earthcaches as e.g. this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-bd6a4e004899

In general, I think that the terrain ratings are not assigned in the same way in each region. So a cache like

this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...02-9179e2276754

might end up with a higher rating in other areas of the world.

I wonder if the requirement for permission from land managers or park officials, who might be less inclined to give approval to one where the terrain is particularly high, might account for this as well.

In the real world, this requirement mainly applies to countries like the US. In Europe, except for the case of some special nature protection areas, there are no people equivalent to land managers and in most cases no one is asked for permisssion when Earthcaches are set up as the ground is regarded as public one even in case this is not true (it might be very difficult and time-consuming to even find out to whom a piece of land is belonging). There are exceptions, however, e.g. in the case of show caves where it's in most cases easily known to whom they belong.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

A recent log on another thread addressed potential safety issues. It made me wonder how many earthcaches have high terrain ratings (four+ or five stars).

I have encountered (but not visited) a few Earthcaches with high terrain rating. Note, however that 5* does not necessarily mean that it is very hard as the necessity of a boat e.g. induces a 5* rating as e.g. here

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ec-948cc5d2769e

Of course, there are, however, also quite demanding 5* Earthcaches as e.g. this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-bd6a4e004899

In general, I think that the terrain ratings are not assigned in the same way in each region. So a cache like

this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...02-9179e2276754

might end up with a higher rating in other areas of the world.

I wonder if the requirement for permission from land managers or park officials, who might be less inclined to give approval to one where the terrain is particularly high, might account for this as well.

In the real world, this requirement mainly applies to countries like the US. In Europe, except for the case of some special nature protection areas, there are no people equivalent to land managers and in most cases no one is asked for permisssion when Earthcaches are set up as the ground is regarded as public one even in case this is not true (it might be very difficult and time-consuming to even find out to whom a piece of land is belonging). There are exceptions, however, e.g. in the case of show caves where it's in most cases easily known to whom they belong.

Cezanne

So many amazing places in this wonderful world! Thank you, cezanne for bringing these to my attention. Please see my whine in the previous post. :(:huh:

We have only one 5 rated terrain EarthCache. I am sure there are more difficult and dangerous ECs out there but applying the rating questionnaire that's how the Summit turned out. The EC has a little bit of everything. Oh yes, in our humble opinion, it has a lot of the WOW factor. :)

The Mount Rogers Summit

Getting permission for the EC was a little difficult due to the location. The summit is a designated "Wilderness" area by the National Forest Service. Thank goodness the Chief Ranger for the district is very EarthCache oriented. Don't bother asking about placing traditional geocaches as they are not welcomed. Please believe me because we tried! :)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I've got an EC I rated at 5/5, White Point Hydrothermal Vents. There was some discussion earlier on whether it should be 5/5, but I feel confident about the rating.

That one really look nice. Got any photos? :)

That reminds me. We are going to the Bahamas soon and a friend told me of a few possible underwater ECs. He is going to lend me his underwater camera, but without viewing your EC, I would have forgot to ask, if it is in the sea, who's permission do you get? Second, it may be moot because it/they will obviously be "vacation" ECs? :)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge