Claiming a username that's already used

Zor

I decided to post this in here even though I've been caching for a few years because I figured it made more sense here.

My username is ^Zor^. When I signed up for my account back in November of 2007, I tried to use the name "Zor" but it was already taken so I used the ^'s to keep my name but make it distinctive from the other username. When I looked at this user's profile, it said that the day of their last activity was the day they opened their account.

Today, that user is still not active and has still not come back to the website since the day they activated their account. They have logged no finds and have no activity of any kind on that account.

I think it might even be possible that this was set up by myself the previous year when I was doing a little bit of research about geocaching but didn't get into it until a year later. I have tried to send messages to this user to see if they are still active (and to see if perhaps the account was mine and I would receive the message myself) but have received no messages back.

I am wondering if there is any rule or precedent for being able to change your username to a name that is already taken, but clearly not in use. Is this possible?

It's not a big deal for me to be registered as ^Zor^ but I am wondering if it is possible for me to change to Zor since the other user obviously isn't coming back.

I think the answer is no. From the Knowledgebase:

Username Change

If the username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available.

If it's an account that you think that you might have set up, but never used, then contact@geocaching.com might be able to sort it out, like if the email on the account is one you no longer use or something. Although in that scenario, I think you'd loose all your stats. Just changing your current account Username would preserve the data you currently have.

I decided to post this in here even though I've been caching for a few years because I figured it made more sense here.

My username is ^Zor^. When I signed up for my account back in November of 2007, I tried to use the name "Zor" but it was already taken so I used the ^'s to keep my name but make it distinctive from the other username. When I looked at this user's profile, it said that the day of their last activity was the day they opened their account.

Today, that user is still not active and has still not come back to the website since the day they activated their account. They have logged no finds and have no activity of any kind on that account.

I think it might even be possible that this was set up by myself the previous year when I was doing a little bit of research about geocaching but didn't get into it until a year later. I have tried to send messages to this user to see if they are still active (and to see if perhaps the account was mine and I would receive the message myself) but have received no messages back.

I am wondering if there is any rule or precedent for being able to change your username to a name that is already taken, but clearly not in use. Is this possible?

It's not a big deal for me to be registered as ^Zor^ but I am wondering if it is possible for me to change to Zor since the other user obviously isn't coming back.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4057360

It can be done, but it is unusual,

ok I do NOT want highjack this thread but I have some problem ( asked on my own thread ) that is almost

the same and I would like some directions to solve it.

Years ago I did signed up but never went to find or place any cache. Few days ago I got a Gps and NOW

I will soon place my first cache. As you can see here in the forums im trying to learn and I have few posts

already.

So , where and how I can find this acc? The Email is no longer in Use and I don't have a clue of the

Nick name used for it. ( the only clue is an Email acc that does't work anymore )

So , sorry for my question here. BUT you can PM or email me for more details.

Thanks

ok I do NOT want highjack this thread but I have some problem ( asked on my own thread ) that is almost

the same and I would like some directions to solve it.

Years ago I did signed up but never went to find or place any cache. Few days ago I got a Gps and NOW

I will soon place my first cache. As you can see here in the forums im trying to learn and I have few posts

already.

So , where and how I can find this acc? The Email is no longer in Use and I don't have a clue of the

Nick name used for it. ( the only clue is an Email acc that does't work anymore )

So , sorry for my question here. BUT you can PM or email me for more details.

Thanks

As you can't remember the account name, or the email details, then I doubt that the old account details can be found... by anyone! Every year hundreds of geocaching accounts are created by people who find the site and are interested enough to sign up for a membership, then they browse around it for a while and then move on to other things.

If you had any vague ideas of what username you registered under then you could try searching the Forum Members list but as you don't then just forget about it... You are now re-born! You are M.TEX!

MrsB

Even 1 hide or find under that account - no matter how long ago - would really screw things up.

I doubt that anybody would allow you to change - ever.

Are you talking about the same account as everyone else? Or have we shifted focus from the OP to m.tex or lord knows where?

Edited by Team Cotati

They have zero finds and zero hides. It can't hurt to email Groundspeak.

This has come up in the past. I believe about 50% of accounts are just people signing up for stuff on the internet, and never get used. Many of them one day only visits. I do in fact know someone who was able to get a used username, but only because it was never validated. I believe the policy is that if it is validated, even though it will obviously never be used, you can't have it.

I thought about changing my name to TWU for years, but I never got around to it, and someone took it. It's my understanding that even though this one day visitor is obviously never coming back, the name is gone forever.

This has come up in the past. I believe about 50% of accounts are just people signing up for stuff on the internet, and never get used. Many of them one day only visits. I do in fact know someone who was able to get a used username, but only because it was never validated. I believe the policy is that if it is validated, even though it will obviously never be used, you can't have it.

I thought about changing my name to TWU for years, but I never got around to it, and someone took it. It's my understanding that even though this one day visitor is obviously never coming back, the name is gone forever.

Could I ask, where did you obtain: "I believe about 50% of accounts are just people signing up for stuff on the internet, and never get used. Many of them one day only visits."

That information?

Well folks, apparently it CAN be done.

I sent an email to GC and within a matter of a few days, I am now Zor instead of ^Zor^.

HUGE thanks out to GC for doing this for me.

You've had your wings clipped! ;)

A geocaching friend was recently allowed to change his name to Smurf although someone else had already registered an account in that name. I understand there had been no activity on the account. I think it's good that Groundspeak are occasionally able to allow such 'take-overs', in certain circumstances.

MrsB

Well folks, apparently it CAN be done.

I sent an email to GC and within a matter of a few days, I am now Zor instead of ^Zor^.

HUGE thanks out to GC for doing this for me.

Good thing that it hadn't been validated yet, isn't it? ;):blink::)

Yes, everyone keeps ignoring the key point. Was the dormant account validated?

OK, I'm going to settle this once and for all. I am going to request the TWU username, used for one day, zero finds and hides, hasn't logged in in well over 2 years. However, this account has been validated.

I predict I will be turned down. This is ridiculous in my opinion. Try opening up a hotmail or Yahoo email account , never send or receive any email using it, and don't log in for 6 months. Tell me if it's still there after 6 months and one day. :o

;)

If by validated you mean they registered and then clicked the validation link in the email, I believe this user was validated.

I could be mistaken, but aren't users who aren't validated shown as such on their profile? If they are, the previous "Zor" did not have any such mention on his account.

If by validated you mean they registered and then clicked the validation link in the email, I believe this user was validated.

I could be mistaken, but aren't users who aren't validated shown as such on their profile? If they are, the previous "Zor" did not have any such mention on his account.

Yes, they don't click on the validation link in the email. I Just threw in a couple random numbers, and came up with a guy who joined a few months ago with a non-validated account. Here is such a profile

The account I covet has been validated, as seen here.

I'm going to fire off the email asking for it in a couple of hours. We shall see what happens. :)

Well, I guess the old "ZOR" account was never validated. I was indeed just turned down trying to get a username of a zero find, zero hide one day visitor from almost 2.5 years ago.

There are hundreds of thousands of such accounts. I will certainly be replying and expressing my opinion that such usernames need to be periodically purged, and re-opened for use. Just like just about every other website on the internet does. :D

IF (stress on IF) the original 'ZOR' account is in fact yours and you regain control of it thorugh Groundspeak, you could then change the old 'ZOR' username (make the request to contact@geocaching.com) to something else.

Then make the change to your ^Zor^ account to 'ZOR'.

This assumes you own both accounts and the lackey is agreeable to the changes. This would keep your stats in check in your account that you have been logging with .

Yeah, I agree that inactive accounts with no finds/hides should be deleted after a fair amount of time. I wanted a certain username at one time by an account holder with 0 finds/hides and last log on of 2003 but they have a cool username tied up. If an account is not going to be in use in some capacity in say a year, it probably will never be used.