Did you have any caching goals for this past year

Whiteboy47

First let me say sorry if this has been brought up before. I did try the search and got nothing or I did something wrong. after reading about the group that hit 413 finds in 24 hrs a big concrats goes out to them.It got me wondering if anybody else besides me likes to set some kind of goals for themselves to go along with their caching. I set out to find 1200 finds this year and hit the mark with a mth to spare.And for next yr I hope to fill in my grid all the way.So what kind of goals did you try for and did you make it lets hear it

My goal was to use caching take some hikes with friends, bring my family to interesting geological or historical areas, have something to do when I take the dog for a walk, and to have fun. So I meet those goals with time to spare, and even had the opportunity to meet other goals (like watching Phil Taylor win the Las Vegas Desert Classic). It was a nice year all around. Next year my goal is to take a road trip to get the GPS Adventure icon when it comes through my state.

Edited by Erickson

First let me say sorry if this has been brought up before. I did try the search and got nothing or I did something wrong. after reading about the group that hit 413 finds in 24 hrs a big concrats goes out to them.It got me wondering if anybody else besides me likes to set some kind of goals for themselves to go along with their caching. I set out to find 1200 finds this year and hit the mark with a mth to spare.And for next yr I hope to fill in my grid all the way.So what kind of goals did you try for and did you make it lets hear it

I had hoped to try and get to 1000 finds by the end of the year but I doubt that'll make it unless I can get some free time after Christmas (I have 54 to go). If I do get it, that would be the highest monthly total for the year. If I don't, I still may be able to get to 1000 after three years of geocaching at the end of January.

My other goal was to try and get a cache that was about 25 miles from here that was only accessible by boat. It hadn't been found for four years, but the week before I was planning to do it someone went looking for it, couldn't find it, and dropped a "replacement cache" in it's place. I really didn't care to go after the replacement and it's since been archived.

My other goal was to find some caches in new States/Countries. I added to my totals in 7 other states (but didn't add any new states), added one more country (Vatican City), and had a slim chance to pick one up in Ethiopia. I got withing 1000' of that one but didn't get a chance to actually look for it as I was there on business.

For next year I'm hoping to add a couple of new countries (and another continent) if all works out and I take a couple of work related trips to Peru and France. I'm seriously considering going to Geowoodstock and doing the pre or post event Alaska cruise so that would add two more states and another country to my stats. Once I reach 1000 finds I'll probably focus entirely on finding more remote caches, some difficult puzzles, and caches in new areas that I haven't visited before.

Goal for next year:

Do a few more mountian top caches (Found 3 this year....well, 2 were more foothill caches, and one true mountain top cache).

Place a cache on the top of a mountain during an 2 day, overnight hike.

Find lots of caches.

Find some member only caches.

Re-start my morning running routine (not caching related though)

We swore never to get stuck miles deep in the woods during a storm w/o light, again!

Not actually stuck, but busy walking into trees, etc. walking back to the geomobile. Absolutely pitch black, Gumme was holding my Filson coattails just to be able to follow. :(

To top it off, it was a new cache listing placed with (accidental) improper coords!!!

Now the pack w/all equipment gets draped before the GPSr is turned on! :huh:

My goal was to complete the Nebraska Delorme and 93 County Challenges.

Did that!

Also got as far as Master level in the earthcache program. :huh: ALMOST reached platinum, but someone threw some tinfoil in the radar...

My next goal is to reach 1500 caches by the end of the year, but I don't think I'm going to make it. Such is life!

My Goal was to go caching with Sioneva this year, but I didn't do that.

Yet.

There's still time.... :huh::(

Vegas is only an airplane ride away. I will even let you stay in my guest room.

Well, hold that thought... I'm planning to visit Vegas next year. Been too long. ;) Lemme know of any big events you're planning in the first couple months of '10!

This year's goal was a geocaching trip with my friend and my sister. We picked up five new states. My sister picked up nine new states. I found benchmarks in three counties that had never had geocachers log to the NGS.

Next year, my sister wants to cache South Carolina and Georgia. And she'll let us find a cache in Florida!

Last year, we helped her with the Maine DeLorme Challenge, and picked up some caches in New Brunswick Canada. We need to contemplate the boat ride to Nova Scotia, and Labrador, plus a visit to St. Pierre y Miquelon!

My goals for 2009

- Hit 3000 finds. COMPLETE.

- Complete the MN State Park Safari Challenge. COMPLETE

- Complete MN DeLorme Challenge. COMPLETE

- Complete MN 87 County Challenge. COMPLETE

- Complete MN 87 County Seat Challenge. COMPLETE

- COmplete the national Great River Road Challenge. COMPLETE

- Complete the MN Great River Road Challenge. COMPLETE

- Complete the MN DeLorme Unique Natural Features Challenge. COMPLETE

- Complete other various King Boreas challenges. COMPLETE COMPLETE COMPLETE

My goal for 2010 is to relax and have fun while geocaching. The wife didn't appreciate the 12,000 miles travelled this year just to find tupperware and ammocans. Oh, for 2010, goal is to geocache the four corner and Grand Canyon areas, and everything from there back to MN.

Edited by bflentje

Yes I had a goal to find the Long John Silvers cache. GCRBPR It was a ten mile hike round trip. After trying two different routes in, I came in the back way which gave me an 1800 ft head start on the climb up. Even with the elevation advantage it still was a 12 hour hike. I think it was the fourth time I tried before I actually made it to ground zero. Then it was a dnf. I just couldn't give up. It was a true caching adventure. I also hit 100 caches found. I also set the goal to make this cache find #100. After the dnf I thought it might not work out but :)

Edited by traildad

My goal was to just walk again after injuring both knees in March. Thats accomplished, now Im hoping to walk 0.1 mile without pain 3 times a week. That may take some work or revision.

Another goal is to work on the Arizona Cache a Day challenge. So far, we are on target for it. We also hope to break 1400 this year. We are 16 away from that. Seems doable.

Beyond that, our main goal is just the experience of caching. Having fun, being together. We tried one power trail for the experience and doubt we will do that again. Just a few caches each time seem good enough for us.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I started caching in February and arbitrarily set a goal of 800 finds in my first 12 months. I hit that milestone in 9 months so my new goal is 1000 in 12 months.

Two other achievements that weren't set as goals first.

1. Spending much more time with my 10 yr old son.

2. Making new friends in the local goecaching community.

Goal for 2010.

1. Stop focusing on numbers and concentrate on they types of caches that I enjoy searching for.

2. Work on improving my cache hiding skills. There are too many run of the mill caches around here so I will try to hide challenging and interesting caches.

I accomplished all my goals. Though I started caching at the end of 08, I didn't really get going at it till this year. I was able to pick up a new Venture with topo map cd, via raincheck from Dick's, for $100.00. (Now's the time to watch those Christmas sales if you're looking for a unit.) I found a hobby I could share with my young son and dog. I got some great exercise and rediscovered the wonderful trails and parks here in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. I've met some really nice people. And I didn't get bit by any snakes. Though I should have broadened my goal to "not getting hurt at all". I've got another couple weeks of healing time, left, due to a geocaching trip that ended with a broken ankle. At least I've got a month left to go to finish off the year with 100 finds. Here's to catching in 2010!

I had the goal to find 1000 caches in my first year of geocaching. Missed that. (Nov 9th) When it became clear I wouldn't hit that, it morphed into 1000 caches by the end of the year, but I'm pretty sure I'll fall about 50 caches short of that goal as well. :)

Also have the goal to get to 100 puzzle cache finds by the end of the year and I might be able to hit that one with 14 to go for the century mark. Planning to make a run in a local area where I have a handful of solved puzzles to hunt this weekend, but the weather might not cooperate with me.

My goal was to start caching.

I did. :laughing:

Not quite my goal! But I like it.

My goal was 100 by the end of 2009, plus get some in NY and NJ.

I've only been geocaching since the last week in August, and I have 82 already! I've even got some done in New York. I'm planning on crossing over into New Jersey for my 100th find! Considering I'm a full time collage student who gets good grades, holds down two jobs, and has a social life I think I'm AMAZING! :blink::laughing:

My only goals this year, were.....................

To go out into the big wild world and find some caches, as and when the inclination took me and the weather allowed (dont like the rain)

To maybe meet some interesting people while doing it

And to have fun along the way

I'm happy to say i have achieved all this and more :)

Not particularily. I hate it when my employer asks me that question, much more when someone asks me that about my hobby! But thanks (I guess) for asking.

Whenever my employer asks me that question my answer is always the same: "To continue to collect my pay cheque, to use as many vacation days and take as much time off as possible." Every year I get the same reply: "Do you really want me to put that down?" to which I reply: "Just word it as 'Achieve a better work/life balance." :)

Back on topic, I did think of one caching specific goal I forgot: That was to find caches in five different states during GW7, which we did.