Feature request

jholly

What third party database manager are you using (i.e. GSAK, etc.). I know GSAK will filter on dates so just get the weekly My Finds PQ and use that in it's own database (i.e. "My Found Caches"). Then you can search for specific dates at will.

If you really need daily info, mark your found caches each day and move them manually to the My Found Caches database. GSAK will post the date you check it as the found date (you can edit them if you do it the next day or so).

Then, your weekly update will correct any errors you might have made.

What third party database manager are you using (i.e. GSAK, etc.). I know GSAK will filter on dates so just get the weekly My Finds PQ and use that in it's own database (i.e. "My Found Caches"). Then you can search for specific dates at will.

If you really need daily info, mark your found caches each day and move them manually to the My Found Caches database. GSAK will post the date you check it as the found date (you can edit them if you do it the next day or so).

None of what you suggest will give me my logs for the given day until I get the weekly my finds PQ. I'm very impatient and really don't want to wait for the the weekly my finds PQ.

Jim

Create a PQ using criteria "I have found" "I don't own" and "Found in the last 7 days" and instead of choosing Home as a center either use the State (with no radius) you were caching in, or choose a Cache or Coordinates (with an appropriate radius to include your day of caching) near the area you were caching.

It won't be ONLY your most recent finds that haven't been added to GSAK, and it WILL include logs other than yours, but it's pretty close to what you want/need.

Load that PQ into an empty database in GSAK, remove the extra logs then copy/move the waypoints into your My Finds database (I do all that with a macro, so it's a single click once I've downloaded/saved the PQ). If it's only a couple of caches, I don't even bother with the PQ...I just save the GPX files in the same folder while I'm logging the finds then run the same macro to import, clean the logs and move them to My Finds.

If you need help with the macro I can lend a hand.

Create a PQ using criteria "I have found" "I don't own" and "Found in the last 7 days" and instead of choosing Home as a center either use the State (with no radius) you were caching in, or choose a Cache or Coordinates (with an appropriate radius to include your day of caching) near the area you were caching.

It won't be ONLY your most recent finds that haven't been added to GSAK, and it WILL include logs other than yours, but it's pretty close to what you want/need.

Load that PQ into an empty database in GSAK, remove the extra logs then copy/move the waypoints into your My Finds database (I do all that with a macro, so it's a single click once I've downloaded/saved the PQ). If it's only a couple of caches, I don't even bother with the PQ...I just save the GPX files in the same folder while I'm logging the finds then run the same macro to import, clean the logs and move them to My Finds.

That probably will work. Sigh, RefreshAllGPX2_0 was much easier, but idiots and morons took that option away. Thanks for the help on the macro, but I have that one well in hand.

Jim

That probably will work. Sigh, RefreshAllGPX2_0 was much easier, but idiots and morons took that option away. Thanks for the help on the macro, but I have that one well in hand.

Jim

You were using RefreshAllGPX2_0 to do that? :)

I've had days with 50-100 finds. If I had used RefreshAllGPX2_0 to update my GSAK then I would have considered myself to be part of the problem leading to the ban.

Jim

You were using RefreshAllGPX2_0 to do that? :)

I've had days with 50-100 finds. If I had used RefreshAllGPX2_0 to update my GSAK then I would have considered myself to be part of the problem leading to the ban.

I used it on just my finds, which was 20-30 a week. Not a big load. The idiots and morons were running in excess of 30,000 a month.

Jim

Thinking about it some more, the approach you suggested won't work some of the time. Like the past several days I was on a road trip and got 10-12 a day. But it was spread over 300-350 miles. It goes back to needing a mini my finds. Maybe looking at downloading the individual .gpx files from the caches is the only way.

Jim

None of what you suggest will give me my logs for the given day until I get the weekly my finds PQ. I'm very impatient and really don't want to wait for the the weekly my finds PQ.

Jim

Sorry, I didn't realize it was your log narrative you wanted as well. Since that can only be done after you've posted your log, I guess a different approach to the problem is needed. I can only think of three..at the moment.

1. How about after each log submittal, you download the GPX file to your computer and then import all of them at one time into GSAK. (You can have GSAK empty that folder as it imports so it'll be ready for the next day's files)

2. You could try adding them to a Bookmark list and then create a PQ from that. This is probably much too cumbersome a method, though.

3. You could repeat the PQ you used to generate your search area and have it sent the next day. It'll include the ones you found (assuming you don't have it set to exclude found caches). A bit inefficient use of PQs, I'll admit.

I think your best approach is the individual GPX download. If you are doing more than 20 finds a day, this is a bit overkill.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Maybe a more optimized feature request, is sort of a auto email with .gpx, where every time you log a cache (I would want every log type, finds, dnf's, note, etc, but even if it were just finds) that gc would send a .gpx.

I think a LOT of people try to grab a .gpx after they log, and if gc would just auto send those, sort of pq format, but just that one cache, it would answer a lot of problems, like the whole gpx macro issues, wanting current find data, minimizing the pq's run now (elminate the need for the full my finds pq for a lot of people), and probably more.

If they attached the GPX file to notifications that would take care of this kind of need and add a neat new feature.

Partially true. I support .gpx in notifications, but not all of my finds fall within the ranges of all of my notifications. This would be a separate notify, tied to me that sends me a .gpx when I log a cache, regardless of that caches status in any notifies, watchlists, pq's, etc.

You want an e-mail confirmation notice for every log submitted? You do realize the front page of GC.com stated there were 630,312 new logs written by 82,838 account holders in the past 7 days.

I surely do not want my e-mail loaded with found/DNF/note/attended logs on days that I find 20-30 caches, or more. I'd suggest that this be a feature that is toggled on by the cacher. By default it should be off. And a Premium Member only feature as well.

Now, that said, I would support GPX files attached to notifications of new caches.

Thinking about it some more, the approach you suggested won't work some of the time. Like the past several days I was on a road trip and got 10-12 a day. But it was spread over 300-350 miles. It goes back to needing a mini my finds. Maybe looking at downloading the individual .gpx files from the caches is the only way.

Jim

I've been doing it for over a year...it will work...just try it and you will see.

If it was less than 500 miles you can use a central GCID and a radius...or you can always use one or more States in the Within States/Provinces box.

I know...it's easier to ask for a new feature than to configure what's available to solve your problem.

You want an e-mail confirmation notice for every log submitted? You do realize the front page of GC.com stated there were 630,312 new logs written by 82,838 account holders in the past 7 days.

Yeah, but considering the number of people watching caches, the number of bookmarks, etc. every log on a cache probably generates an average of 3 or so emails anyway, so its not like we are talking about a significant increase in email from a gc perspective.

I surely do not want my e-mail loaded with found/DNF/note/attended logs on days that I find 20-30 caches, or more. I'd suggest that this be a feature that is toggled on by the cacher. By default it should be off. And a Premium Member only feature as well.

Obviously something that can be turned on or off per user, but I personally (and many other cachers do as well) want a .gpx after logging a cache, my preference would be to receive it in the same stream as I get pq's, so it updates my info.

As it is now, after logging, I still have to drudge through and grab .gpx files after logging finds, this is easy if I just did one or two on the way home, but if I do several in a day, it quickly becomes a pain, especially when I'm on a slower connection.

Obviously something that can be turned on or off per user, but I personally (and many other cachers do as well) want a .gpx after logging a cache, my preference would be to receive it in the same stream as I get pq's, so it updates my info.

Interesting, I've never run into anyone who does this.

I must be odd because I normally only run a My Finds query once a month or so.

I would like to have a my finds that I could run for a specific date and only get the finds for that date. Of course I would like to be able to do this on a daily basis, not weekly.

I can see what you're looking for, but since I use GSAK's note/log Section to enter my finds, run the Log cache macro, and then do a copy paste to get that exact info in to my FOUND Log for that cache, I don't see where bringing that same info back to gsak would help. (me at least)

When I'm dibe entering my finds in gsak and ready to post them to the web, I have a GSAK filter set to use the "date found by me" with the selection of 1 day, and have the "Found Status" set to just those caches found (uncheck the NOT FOUND Box) Thus, I can see what I did today, and post my finds from those.

Using the GSAK "date found by me" and setting it to a different day, I can quickly see what I did on that day as well.

All without the need to download "MY FINDS" at all. having said that, I do update gsak with the MY FINDS data weekly, sometimes though it's weakly. (no typo).

I would like to have a my finds that I could run for a specific date and only get the finds for that date. Of course I would like to be able to do this on a daily basis, not weekly.

I can see what you're looking for, but since I use GSAK's note/log Section to enter my finds, run the Log cache macro, and then do a copy paste to get that exact info in to my FOUND Log for that cache, I don't see where bringing that same info back to gsak would help. (me at least)

When I'm dibe entering my finds in gsak and ready to post them to the web, I have a GSAK filter set to use the "date found by me" with the selection of 1 day, and have the "Found Status" set to just those caches found (uncheck the NOT FOUND Box) Thus, I can see what I did today, and post my finds from those.

Using the GSAK "date found by me" and setting it to a different day, I can quickly see what I did on that day as well.

All without the need to download "MY FINDS" at all. having said that, I do update gsak with the MY FINDS data weekly, sometimes though it's weakly. (no typo).

The thing I'm bringing back into GSAK is the log ID of my log. FindStatGen sorts by date and then log ID. Without a log ID the milestones are not in the correct order. The log ID is generated by GS, not GSAK.

Jim

The thing I'm bringing back into GSAK is the log ID of my log. FindStatGen sorts by date and then log ID. Without a log ID the milestones are not in the correct order. The log ID is generated by GS, not GSAK.

Jim

My single find today was a newly hatched cache, which I found on the same day as it was posted. while I wasn't first to find, I was first to post. after posting, since there was no info in GSAK on the cache, and my find would have the same problem in the FindStatGen macro, so I went back to the waypoint URL and then clicked on the send GPX to update today's single find. Which I've also done with each find, when there's been several finds in a day. Not that I do 50-100 geocaches per day.

Edited.

Edited by geomouser