What Would Be Considered Advanced Topics of Geocaching?

Headhardhat

I was asked recently to create several GeoSnippits that showed advanced techniques of geocaching and it occurred to me that one man's advanced is another man's way too easy. So I am asking the more advanced geocachers out there what topics would be good to make GeoSnippits Videos out of?

If we use your idea you will win a GeoSnippits PathTag for your efforts and a lot of thank yous from us!!!

-HHH :)

How to get and use Pocket Queries.

Paperless Caching with a PDA

Caching with a GPS-enabled Smartphone (Blackberry, etc.)

Caching with an iPhone

Using GSAK

Using a compass and map for safety should your GPS fail.

Review of The Guidelines for Geocaching (Groundspeak style).

The art of camouflaging containers.

Creative household budgeting to afford caching money.

Those should get you started!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Here are a few that we came up with:

What to look for when looking for geotrails that might lead to the cache.

How not to destroy vegetation when searching through ferns and ivy.

Looking for what's out of place.

Different search techniques, quickly scanning the area for what's different, physically touching the areas while doing a quick search, or searching small areas in great detail.

How to better prepare yourself for an FTF run.

How to mentally and physically prepare yourself to handle a very long day of caching for both city and backwoods environments.

Blending into the environment while searching.

What to say to a muggle when they ask you what you're doing when you don't want to get into a long conversation with them.

What to say to a LEO when they ask you what you are doing and how you can prepare yourself for it (each of our three encounters were handled differently).

When the use of props might make it easier for you to search and blend in, ie clipboard, safety vests and trashbags, etc.

What is a bearing versus a heading.

Since people are creatures of habit, how to learn what to look for based on that cache owner's previous hides without getting too many preconceived ideas.

How to recognize and break your own bad habits when it comes to searching.

When logging a find, when should you tell a small story versus signing "TNLNSL" or just signing "Found it".

When should you use PAF versus writing the CO for help versus giving it another shot on another day.

Does a DNF mean you are a complete failure or is it just letting the CO know that their cache had activity on it and when do you post a DNF.

How to adopt a cache and why you'd want to.

When to do maintenance on someone else's cache that you found. For example, adding a new log book, changing out the plastic bags, dumping out the water that may have collected.

Funny you should ask. There is an event coming up in the Detroit area early next year.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d1-218c0778d8cf

The more advanced topics are the things we will be touching on. We are hoping it will become a big thing.

Not sure but as our head organizer has mentioned your name this may be related.

The session I will be giving that day is on how to organize and execute a power run. We managed 3 triple digit days this year and some in our area seemed interested in how it is done so it made the bill for the event.

Any container that has videos demonstrating how to close said container makes me wonder how suitable it is to be used for a geocache. . .
Closing the lid on decon containers. Its surprising how many experienced cachers still need primers on this one.
Or how to open without tearing, and closing a zip lock baggie.

ScubaSonic

Any container that requires a baggie to waterproof the logbook inside said container makes me wonder how suitable it is to be used for a geocache. . .

First off, I LOVE your videos :laughing:

I'd like to see one on painting plastic containers - sanding, cleaning, the flame method I've read about, diff spray paint effects, etc :laughing: I've painted several now but would have loved a video tutorial :laughing:

Also one on different things you can glue onto containers to camo them, recommended glue for different types of materials - outdoor fabric, silk leaves, plastic, metal, rocks, twigs, dry grass, etc.

Videos covering different categories of geocaching-helpful gear would be AWESOME. Perhaps you could partner with a place that sells such items to be able to get a wide representation on your video - for example - lots of diff kinds of multi tools, hiking sticks, backpacks, flashlights, etc :laughing:

A video on the use of really out there (not found in outdoorsy stores) helper tools. Some I've read about on these forums - a grabber, a retractable pole with a magnet and/or mirror, a plastic fork for removing burrs :blink:

A video on attaching caches to objects for hiding or anti-muggling purposes - e.g. clear fishing line, etc for hiding little bison tubes, securing ammo cans in a camo natural looking kind of way (assuming that's an ok practice) - chains, clips, pulleys, etc.

I like the above poster's idea of a video about doing maintenance on caches you find that need help - draining water and trash, replacing or providing baggies, replacing the pen, etc - and examples of what would be in a maintenance first aid kit :ph34r: For example, I carry post its and little notepads in mine so I can leave a dry place to write if needed, and baggies.

Edited by Opalblade

A lot of great suggestions so far. I would add...

1. Night Caching (equipment, what to look for, etc.)

2. Series Caches (Where multiple caches contain part of the coordinates for a final)

3. Challenge Caches (Delorme, Fizzy, etc.)

It would have been helpful to know what they were before I went out to try and find them.

How to improve the odds your travel bug survives - durability, waterproof-icity, ways to tightly secure the travel bug to the item (drilling holes, zip ties, etc), information to include with the travel bug (laminated photo of travel bug etc), high quality ziploc for the travel bug to travel in with a backup bag...

How to get and use Pocket Queries.

Paperless Caching with a PDA

Caching with a GPS-enabled Smartphone (Blackberry, etc.)

Caching with an iPhone

Using GSAK

Using a compass and map for safety should your GPS fail.

Review of The Guidelines for Geocaching (Groundspeak style).

The art of camouflaging containers.

Creative household budgeting to afford caching money.

Those should get you started!

I'll agree with everything EXCEPT the red one.

There should be a short quiz on that topic before you can hide your first cache. :)

Advanced topic? More like Basic 101.