Geocaching in Rapid City, SD and Hills

lisaaguilar

Anyone that geocaches in these areas have a preference on GPS's and also if topographic maps are necessary?

I am new to geocaching and am interested in buying a unit that will be able to be used for a long time. I am interested in the Garmin 60CXS or the Oregon, but cant decide if the extra money for the topographic maps on the Oregon are worth it.

Thanks for any advice!

There are lots of free topo maps for the Garmin units at gpsfiledepot.com

Topo maps are certainly not necessary for Geocaching and often are no help in actually finding the cache but are sometimes helpful while hiking over unknown terrain to the general cache location.

If your main use will be Geocaching - the Oregon's paperless features and overall ease of use are the main reasons to get it. Consider the Oregon 200 with no built-in topo maps.

If hiking is your main and perferred use - you just can't go wrong with the 60CSx and its proven reliability and feature set.

Lots of very nice caches up in the Black Hills - take a drive over the Iron Mountain road - stunning views and several very nice caches.

I don't know when you're planning on visiting, sometimes Iron Mountain Road is closed (at Grizzly Bear picnic area) in the winter.

These caches (and others in the area) are off Hwy 244, are lots of fun~

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...48-d772273007f8

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b8-be007cdaafe3

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d9-f1df4d995862

The National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps #238 (BlackHills South) and #751 (BlackHills North) both got updated this year, and are pretty handy for checking out the Hills.

I've got a 60CSX, and love it, but the Oregon 400t seems to have everywhere covered.

Thanks Les! ;) I can allways use some pointers...and I will definetely save the Iron Mountain road ones for closer to summer time.

I did end up going with the Garmin Oregon 400t since Im sort of a gadget geek and thought it was better to invest in something I will be happy with for years.

HAve you been geocaching in the area for a long time? Im looking for some good, fun ones for beginners.

I think the Oregon 400t is a great choice, I know there's 3 or 4 cachers in the area that have them, and love them.

I've been caching for a little over 4 years. I live in Spearfish, so most of my caches are in the Northern Hills (Spearfish Canyon), but I try to get around the Hills pretty good. Saturday I found some good caches (and hiking trails) on M Hill/Cowboy Hill in Rapid.

You might want to check out this website~

http://www.blackhillsareageocaching.com/

It'd be a great place to ask about good, beginner caches locally, or chat about the new Garmin.

oh cool! I didnt know about the local geocaching site, Im going to spend some time checking it out.

How was M hill in the cold temps? Im a little nervous to get started geocaching in the snow. :)

I just hiked M hill a week before the crappy weather hit and loved it, I didnt realize there were caches there too.

Well, Saturday, the weather was pretty nice, before this sub-zero front came around.

Caching in the snow (and cold) can be extra challenging,decent weather will come around eventually.

On some cache listings, the owners might show the little snowflake icon in the attributes to show it's winter-friendly. But, after looking at some of these that I have found, I think it'd require looking under snow to find them.

Looks like you found the local geocaching website, I bet some of the RC cachers that check that out might have ideas for good beginner caches.

If you plan on hitting M-Hill, I would recommend to do all of those in the Cowboy Hill area on the same day. Start with Furball #6, Founders Rock, Cowboys Table, Cowboy Hill NW, Finding Nemo, M-Hill and an Afternoon Stroll (in that order). Then go across street and do RC Roswell #2 and Kick and Sticks.

I would probably wait for the true hiker ones of those to have the snow subside a bit, will help with following the paths that are already made for you. Make sure to take a camera for up there, awesome views!!.

Finally got out for a couple of caches today. Did a few in the Canyon Lake Park area with great success even with snow still on the ground.

Had a blast! Took the leap for premium membership...hoping to get out tomorrow and conquer a few more. :D

Congratulations on finding your first 2 caches. There are some great caches in the Black Hills area. Wait till you go on a few adventures in the hills and you will truly have a blast. There is an event next Saturday where you can meet other cachers and ask questions http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9f-b7a639e7da8f

The Map60csx is a great unit and very accurate, however it doesn't have the paperless caching feature. The way of the future is paperless caching so you don't have to take notes or make printouts. Topo is not necessary but it does come in handy when looking for caches in the Black Hills as you can see all of the contours of the land and can save you some time. I know several people that have the Oregon 400T and they like them. There is also the Oregon 550T with a built in digital camera and supposedly has a better screen than the 400T. Wow, I found the 550T on sale for $419. That is a very good deal on this newer unit with all the bells and whistles-550T . Another unit to consider is the new Dakota 20. It is cheaper than the Oregon and a little smaller. It has very basic mapping but you can always get a Topo map for it later, or you can get the bundle package that will save you some cash. I only know one person that owns the Dakota 20 and he likes it so far. Be sure to do some price comparisons so you can score a good deal. With the 550 T being on sale it looks like a better deal than the Dakota as you have a larger screen, built in topo and a built in camera. I too have been looking for an upgrade and might go for this deal.

Also I met some new cachers that all have the DeLorme PN-40. I don't know too much about this unit as I have only owned Garmin but they all said they like them. It is regularly $399 on sale at Walmart online for $199 and includes Topo. PN-40 The new Gamin's have touch screen operation where as the PN-40 doesn't. So that is a personal preference.

Glad you decided to go with premium membership. The funds help out the sport you love and it adds great features.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did end up getting the Oregon 400t a week or so ago from Amazon. It was $350 there at the time and I had $75 in gift cards, so took the leap. So far Im happy with it except that the compass tends to jump around when you get close the the cache. Im hoping this isnt a huge issue in the hills this summer.

I stalled until my husband and I found the first few caches to commit to the premium membership, but now that we have, I find it a small fee to pay for the outdoor fun we can have year round. I will definetely continue to keep it up.

I am planning to try to make it to the meetup depending on the weather. I think it would be great to meet other local geocachers! :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I did end up getting the Oregon 400t a week or so ago from Amazon. It was $350 there at the time and I had $75 in gift cards, so took the leap. So far Im happy with it except that the compass tends to jump around when you get close the the cache. Im hoping this isnt a huge issue in the hills this summer.

I stalled until my husband and I found the first few caches to commit to the premium membership, but now that we have, I find it a small fee to pay for the outdoor fun we can have year round. I will definetely continue to keep it up.

I am planning to try to make it to the meetup depending on the weather. I think it would be great to meet other local geocachers! :anibad:

nice and warm in San Diego

I will be in the area for business the last week of January 2010 and am looking for some easier caches to complete in the winter weather.

I'd love any suggestions.

I believe this makes me have a few extra questions to try and steer you with some direction...

1- How much walking/hiking do you want to do?

2- Do you have transportation or will you need a chaffeur/guide?

3- How much time do you have available to get out and do some caching?

4- Are you just interested in numbers, or do want the scenic views of the Rapid area?

I believe this makes me have a few extra questions to try and steer you with some direction...

1- How much walking/hiking do you want to do?

2- Do you have transportation or will you need a chaffeur/guide?

3- How much time do you have available to get out and do some caching?

4- Are you just interested in numbers, or do want the scenic views of the Rapid area?

I will be flying in on Monday, 1/25 to Rapid City, SD. I would arrive around noon-ish. I'll have a rental 4x4 SUV. I have from noon-ish until dark Monday.

If someone's schedule allows for it, I'd welcome company for the afternoon. I'd be willing to buy dinner and offer up a couple of our signature items in return for the person's trouble.

I tend to focus on earthcaches (if available) and virtuals (historical bent is a major plus). I won't look askance of a lightpost here or there. Scenic vistas are really great and I'm intrigued by the Badlands. BUT, I am prohibited from Rushmore since I promised my wife and son we'd see it as a family.

The rest of the week will find me hitting up Winner, SD -- Madison, SD and Sioux Falls, SD. Then up to Fargo, ND, Moorhead, MN, Steele, and Valley City, ND.

If you happen to be going up I-29 from Sioux Falls to Fargo, I would recommend hitting the Cache Across America in Watertown if you can spare a few minutes and have not found it already. It is not extremely winter friendly, but if I knew you really wanted to make it happen, I could stop out and make it more available for finding.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...52-8b2504ae3f4b

If you knew you had extra time in Watertown, I could put together a list of more winter friendly ones for you to find. None of them would be too exciting (we don't offer the wonders that the Black Hills area does), but it would be a chance to see a little of the city.

Let me know if I can be of any help on your way through.

Scott