Find Another Player

knowschad

OK, at the risk of Belldingering*, one last pet peeve that I have intended to post for a long, long time. I seriously doubt that this little-used feature will get a facelift, but it seriously needs one.

Enter a name and click the "Go" button. If there are multiple options, you get a "Pick A User" button. If not (you entered a unique username), you get the another "Go" button just like the one that you clicked on originally. Click on it again and you get the profile of the user you were looking for.

Seems to me that I should get a list of possible usernames, sorted from most likely to least likely, just as I get when I enter a cache name into the "keyword" field when searcing for caches.

* Sorry, Belldinger, if you're reading this. But whether you like it, or not, you have been verbed.

Enter a name and click the "Go" button.

The real irritant here is that you have to click the "Go" button. Fill in a box most anywhere on the geocaching site and you can hit the "Enter" key and away you go. Do that here and you get nothing. You have to point and click the "Go" button to get any action. What's up with that?

The real irritant here is that you have to click the "Go" button. Fill in a box most anywhere on the geocaching site and you can hit the "Enter" key and away you go. Do that here and you get nothing. You have to point and click the "Go" button to get any action. What's up with that?

Yeah, you'd think that you would simply get a list, wouldn't you? I mean... you already clicked "GO" once, right?

Yeah, you'd think that you would simply get a list, wouldn't you? I mean... you already clicked "GO" once, right?

I want to be able to enter the name and hit "Enter" without clicking the go button. That's what happens everywhere else. Go to the Hide and Seek a cache page, enter appropriate stuff in any box and hit enter. You don't have to move the mouse and click on the button.

I want to be able to enter the name and hit "Enter" without clicking the go button. That's what happens everywhere else. Go to the Hide and Seek a cache page, enter appropriate stuff in any box and hit enter. You don't have to move the mouse and click on the button.

Actually, you can hit "Enter" the first time. The 2nd "GO" button is the one that doesn't respond to the Enter key. But regardless... it is not a very good interface, and I'd think that whoever programmed that page would like to re-do it, but probably hasn't been given the go-ahead because it is a low priority to management.

No "Go" button responds. That's the problem. If there are, for example, two cachers with names starting "Beluga" hitting "Enter" will get you to the list where you get to choose the one you want and then not have the "Enter" button work for that Go. If there is only one "two bison" then the then "enter" doesn't work the first time.

You're probably right ... TPTB probably don't see this as an issue worth fixing.

I agree with you on that one!

*I am not offended. I doubt Rick Astley is offended for the "Rickroll" :)

Incase your interested, Rick Astley actualy has made statements about Rickrolling:

Effects on Astley and reaction

In a March 2008 interview, Astley said that he found the Rickrolling of Scientology to be "hilarious"; he also said that he will not try to capitalize on the Rickroll phenomenon with a new recording or remix of his own, but that he would be happy to have other artists remix it. Overall, Astley is not troubled by the phenomenon, stating that he finds it "bizarre and funny" and that his only concern is that his "daughter doesn't get embarrassed about it".[54] A spokesperson for Astley's record label released a comment which showed that Astley's interest with the phenomenon had faded, as they stated "I'm sorry, but he's done talking about Rickrolling".[5]

In November 2008, Rick Astley was nominated for Best Act Ever at the MTV Europe Music Awards after the online nomination form was flooded with votes.[55] The push to make Astley the winner of the award continued after the announcement, as well as efforts to encourage MTV to personally invite Astley to the awards ceremony.[56] On October 10, Astley's website confirmed that an invitation to the awards had been received.[57]

On November 6, 2008, just hours before the ceremony was due to air, it was reported that MTV Europe did not want to give Astley the award at the ceremony, instead wanting to present it at a later date.[58] Many fans who voted for Astley felt the awards ceremony failed to acknowledge him as a legitimate artist.[59] Astley stated in an interview that he felt the award was 'daft', but noted that he thought that "MTV were thoroughly rickrolled", and went on to thank everyone who voted for him.[60]

In 2009, Astley wrote about 4chan founder moot for Time magazine's annual Time 100 issue, where he thanked moot for the Rickrolling phenomenon.[41]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll