8+ Years and Never Found

CosmicMiami

I love that: "last visit: Never"

That's pretty funny.

How did they fill out the form to publish the cache if they have never visited the site?

How did it get published without a reviewer notice?

After 8 years it surely must have been muggled if it were ever there.

Dern. Where's those rogue reviewers when you need them?

I love that: "last visit: Never"

That's pretty funny.

How did they fill out the form to publish the cache if they have never visited the site?

How did it get published without a reviewer notice?

After 8 years it surely must have been muggled if it were ever there.

Dern. Where's those rogue reviewers when you need them?

The cache predates the system that is now in place. It's a legacy cache. Basically the site was built around it.

There are no DNFs, so there is no evidence the cache is missing. I believe that rogue reviewers can only archive caches for which an inordinate number of DNFs indicate the cache is missing. So long as nobody is looking, this cache doesn't fall under the rogue reviewer rule. However if it is indeed hidden in a brothel, it may need to be inspected by a rouge reviewer........

Edited by tozainamboku

Check out those contents! Nothing like finding an 8 year old (minimum) bottle of wine in an ammo box, huh?

Located in the city of Tarija, at an altitude of 1884 meters, average annual temperature of 25 ° centigrados. Is a container of iron, contains:

• A pack of cigarettes
  • "Derby" postcards of Tarija
  • A bottle of wine
  • Patero
  • 20 BS. for a trip to San Lorenzo
  • A Keychain
  • A black leather wallet

I have looked at this page a few times in the past. Seems to me that no one has looked for it, probably because there are no cachers in that country (I don't see any other caches anywhere around there). Maybe someone should head down there and check it out (anyone going to Bolivia any time soon?). As for it being in a house, google maps is likely off on their coordinates. They are often out by up to 100m in NA (North America), how far off in SA? There does seem to be a lot of trees around, so likely it is in there somewhere. All that said, with no maintanence, after 8 years, it is likely muggled (I guess that word was not in use back then though).

PS here is the Google translation of the hint "Tarija city the most beautiful women of Bolivia". What the ... and the cache's name is great "Geocache", how original. But of course, being the 108th cache, I guess it can slide on the specifics.

It is in SA, perhaps it needs to be in NA?

Where is Nomex when you need him?

Here is one in North America that was placed 2 days after the one above. I have spoken with this cache's owner and am confident it is still there.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCDFB

Although there ARE DNF's - they didn't get anywhere remotely close to the cache

You probably missed it JP, but I brought that cache up in another thread a week or two ago, and said that I was quite certain the multiple DNF'er was never going to actually get there. :)

But the OP here is interesting. Can we get a native (or fleunt) Spanish speaker to verify this cache is in a hoe-house?? I know Bablefish is pretty useless, but don't interpret the translation as suggesting such a location.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Well, nobody is looking for it!

Where are you guys getting the hoe-house bit?

I can't see it in the description!!

It says "the beautiful women of" whatever city it's in. Google Earth the coords. Its a house. And a sizable one at that. I was guessing wildly on the bordello thing. Sounds good.

... and the cache's name is great "Geocache", how original. But of course, being the 108th cache, I guess it can slide on the specifics.
Many of the oldest caches were named 'geocache'.

Back when that cache was made, the system gave the name Geocache to any cache that was submitted without a name.

The sad truth is that we will likely never know. No one is going to make a special trip down there knowing that 98% chance of a DNF. Unless geocaching takes off in Tarija (or anywhere in Bolivia), no one is going to look for that one.

PS are GPSrs even allowed for civilian use in Bolivia? From what I understand it is just a little less civilized than Columbia.

Here is some reading about the area around Tarija

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarija_Department

Sounds plesent enough.

Edit:

From knowschad's list, there seems to be two guys that are hiding most of the caches: Chaski4 and thesaurus

Based on cache hides, I would say both are located in the West of Bolivia, no where near Tarija. Someone who speaks Spanish could contact one of these guys and see if they are interested in this cache, or if the locals know something about it's history etc. .

Edit again:

Some quick searching and this is the closest cache that I could find GCTX9A. It is in Argentina, about 160 miles away. Maybe the CO or one of the searchers would be able to check out the cache in question.

Edited by Andronicus

I can help with the Spanish interpretation.

There is no sexual reference at all. 0%. It's an absolute neutral sentence, it could say aswell "a city well known for its villas over the ocean" or "its balconies with flowers".

It's fairly common in Southamerica cities to be proud of its beautifull women as a tourist description, and in fact there are several that claim to have "the most beautifull".

You can argue about being politically correct language or not, but no other inferences can be made.

That said ... someone should go and check :).

That said ... someone should go and check :).

I'll volunteer! My passport is in order and I have some vacation time left. If everyone who reads this will send me one dollar I can make the trip. Purely in the interest of helping out the other readers of this board, you understand.

Do the donators get a shair of the FTF credit?

Some quick searching and this is the closest cache that I could find GCTX9A. It is in Argentina, about 160 miles away. Maybe the CO or one of the searchers would be able to check out the cache in question.

Man, looking at the find logs for this one, if it was me, I would gladly make a 160mile trip to search for the worlds oldest unfound cache. Too bad none of these cachers gave it a try.

Edited by Andronicus

I'll volunteer! My passport is in order and I have some vacation time left. If everyone who reads this will send me one dollar I can make the trip. Purely in the interest of helping out the other readers of this board, you understand.

You beat me to it. I was going to offer my services to Groundspeak to have them send me down there in Jeremy's private jet, parachute into the cache location, and be picked up later by the Groundspeak black helicopter. Bolivia, beautiful women, a cache, it has all the makings of intrigue and adventure. Perhaps there has been a local myth growing up around a mysterious container, waiting for someone to come to claim it, with wine, women and song as a reward. Perhaps something more dangerous, with authorities waiting because they believe it was a pipe bomb connected to the Tupac Katari. But in any event, from the other thread, I understand that Groundspeak has switched to remote viewers for that kind of thing.

Edited by Erickson

My question: if you went there and the cache was missing, and the locals told you that they had gotten tired of waiting for the expected tourist trade it was supposed to bring, so that they had thrown out the cache three years ago as part of a town cleanup, would you dnf it or bring a replacement cache so you could sign the log?

Edited by Erickson

My question: if you went there and the cache was missing, and the locals told you that they had gotten tired of waiting for the expected tourist trade it was supposed to bring, so that they had thrown out the cache three years ago as part of a town cleanup, would you dnf it or bring a replacement cache so you could sign the log?

If someone did go down, and find it missing, I guarantee I know what would replace it...

... a throw down film canister.

:)

Well, that cache in Bolivia was DNFed and archived. I guess that makes 4.5lb Walleye the oldest unfound cache in the world.

Darn. Another case of not moving fast enough. If only Jeremy had let me use his private jet to go to Bolivia. That one was intriguing -- an unfound cache and the most beautiful women in the country. A walleye cannot compete (although I did enjoy some walleye fishing when I was younger). But I notice that the fish cache is on a hit list, or was on a hit list last December. So if you are going to get there for the geocaching glory, perhaps it should be done sooner rather than later.

Edited by mulvaney

That said ... someone should go and check <_<.

I'm working on a proposal this week for an annual travel award that's given out by a benefactor of the library where I work. My proposal is based on another proposal that I helped developed for an information system that would be implemented in Africa. My proposal for the award is essentially a feasibility study for the same sort of system but deployed in Latin America. I discussed it with someone that runs an organization in Costa Rica (which would be the primary travel destination) and the study would also involve a visit to some other less developed country. One of the countries he suggested was Bolivia.

That reminds me. I need to send my passport to the agency in Washington DC to get some pages added to it (only have two blank pages left).