Delorme pn40, oregon300, dakota10 or vista hcx?

Aricall

Hello ive been looking at the delorme pn40 the oregon300, dakota10 and the vista hcx. i use my iphone to cache at the moment and like it alot. but also want something a lil more reliable that will work well together. im also a mac owner.....which of the before mentioned models would work best for someone with a mac and who also uses there iphone alot to cache? with all the recent sales im able to find all 4 models locally for about the same price so im not sure which one to pick....going to go look more tomorrow....any help would be wonderful thanks....

Hello ive been looking at the delorme pn40 the oregon300, dakota10 and the vista hcx. i use my iphone to cache at the moment and like it alot. but also want something a lil more reliable that will work well together. im also a mac owner.....which of the before mentioned models would work best for someone with a mac and who also uses there iphone alot to cache? with all the recent sales im able to find all 4 models locally for about the same price so im not sure which one to pick....going to go look more tomorrow....any help would be wonderful thanks....

I'm a Mac owner too! Any of the models you describe should be OK. (don't know about the PN40 with a Mac though) I have a Oregon 550t and love it. I've had the Colorado 400t and wasn't real happy with it because of the battery life and watertightness. I also have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx which is a great unit, but not paperless. The only downside to the 550t is the price ($599.99) and I haven't seen it discounted anywhere.

Edited by RonFisk

I'm a Mac owner too! Any of the models you describe should be OK. (don't know about the PN40 with a Mac though)

What does work:

• Send to GPS on cache pages
  • Loading Pocket Queries (GPX files) via GPSBabel (which MacCaching might use, or might be able to use) or via DeLorme's Cache Register application (if you go this route, you never have to open the PQ - Cache Register downloads the file right from Groundspeak's servers)
  • Purchasing/downloading "default" aerial imagery cuts from DeLorme via their web interface to the Map Library
  • GPSBabel - for tracks, waypoints, etc.
  • Uploading Field Notes

What does not work

• TopoUSA - needed for downloading "full" imagery & doing your own custom map packages, more involved routes & tracks, etc.

I'm a Mac owner too! Any of the models you describe should be OK. (don't know about the PN40 with a Mac though)

What does work:

• Loading Pocket Queries (GPX files) via GPSBabel (which MacCaching might use, or might be able to use) or via DeLorme's Cache Register application (if you go this route, you never have to open the PQ - Cache Register downloads the file right from Groundspeak's servers)
  • Purchasing/downloading "default" aerial imagery cuts from DeLorme via their web interface to the Map Library
  • Uploading Field Notes

What does not work

• TopoUSA - needed for downloading "full" imagery & doing your own custom map packages, more involved routes & tracks, etc.

I think you can still add aerial imagery by getting the maps sent via disc? I could be mistaken and welcome any corrections!

What does work:

• Uploading Field Notes

What does not work

I think you can still add aerial imagery by getting the maps sent via disc? I could be mistaken and welcome any corrections!

DeLorme has pre-cut aerial imagery available on disc? I know you can get a whole state worth of USGS 24K on disc instead of having to download, but you still have to cut it.

Anything that can be put on the GPS by a simple file copy to internal memory or SD card also works, as the PN-40 will appear as a normal FAT32-formatted volume to OS X when set to the right "connect to computer" mode.