New price on Delorme PN-40

fishernate

I just bought a PN-40 and paid 239.99 for it last week off amazon.com through one of their retailers. Which I thought was a good deal. Now i JUST CHECKED AND THEY HAVE THEM FOR 199.99 and that is actually through amazon.com. Check it out. Just thought I would post and try to save some people some money! Everybody likes that.

I just bought a PN-40 and paid 239.99 for it last week off amazon.com through one of their retailers. Which I thought was a good deal. Now i JUST CHECKED AND THEY HAVE THEM FOR 199.99 and that is actually through amazon.com. Check it out. Just thought I would post and try to save some people some money! Everybody likes that.

It's too bad Amazon.com can't/won't ship this unit to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't list it. The Delorme's all have really bad regional map support for Canada so if I could get this unit at that price it would clearly be much better than other units which wouldn't provide me map support either, but without map support its not worth the price other online retailers want me to pay for these otherwise great looking units.

It's too bad Amazon.com can't/won't ship this unit to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't list it. The Delorme's all have really bad regional map support for Canada so if I could get this unit at that price it would clearly be much better than other units which wouldn't provide me map support either, but without map support its not worth the price other online retailers want me to pay for these otherwise great looking units.

DeLorme now has maps for Canada included with the unit, and I think some higher-detail maps available for download in the Map Library (I don't have my PC available at the moment to check). You can also download shapefiles from http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/index.html & convert them to layers in TopoUSA, then export to the device.

DeLorme now has maps for Canada included with the unit, and I think some higher-detail maps available for download in the Map Library (I don't have my PC available at the moment to check). You can also download shapefiles from http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/index.html & convert them to layers in TopoUSA, then export to the device.

I eventually found my way past the FUD and found 2 or 3 posts on the Delorme forums about how to install the maps (from the 4th DVD, only as of Topo 8). Now I just have to see whether I can find an affordable way to buy one :unsure: I might know somebody who has a US postal address just over the border.

Edited by missionMode

I eventually found my way pat the FUD and found 2 or 3 posts on the Delorme forums about how to install the maps. Now I just have to see whether I can find an affordable way to buy one :unsure: I might know somebody who has a US postal address just over the border.

The Canadian maps (I've got my Thinkpad fired up now) are listed as Canadian 1:50K Sheets (Scanned Maps) - roughly the equivalent (in concept, anyway, not sure about the scale) of the USGS 24K Quad Topos. Aerial imagery isn't quite there yet; I've got Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Niagara Falls, but it doesn't go much deeper than that into Ontario (this end of Ontario, anyway).

I eventually found my way pat the FUD and found 2 or 3 posts on the Delorme forums about how to install the maps. Now I just have to see whether I can find an affordable way to buy one :unsure: I might know somebody who has a US postal address just over the border.

I'm no just over the border, but I'd be happy to help if you'd like. PM or email if you want!! I know, trusting a stranger is scary, your call, my friend!!

The Canadian maps (I've got my Thinkpad fired up now) are listed as Canadian 1:50K Sheets (Scanned Maps) - roughly the equivalent (in concept, anyway, not sure about the scale) of the USGS 24K Quad Topos. Aerial imagery isn't quite there yet; I've got Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Niagara Falls, but it doesn't go much deeper than that into Ontario (this end of Ontario, anyway).

Are those the regional detailed maps? That definitely doesn't sound street level.

Thanks for the offer Roddy. I'm not so worried about the trust as much as whether something goes wrong with the unit. Getting my brother in law who lives 10 minutes away to help with returns is a lot less hassle than working through you.

First thing I have to figure out is the best Canadian price I can get, and then figure out how I expect it will compare with Amazon / exchange / possible Duty / shipping costs. It might just end up the same anyhow.

Are those the regional detailed maps? That definitely doesn't sound street level.

There are street-level maps included, IIRC. The maps I referred to are topographical maps. 1:50K is apparently the highest level of detail published by your government, again similar to the USGS 1:24K Topo Quads.

Although I live in the southwestern part of the USA, I currently have many of the Canadian vectorized Street Level maps loaded on my PN-40. Is there any particular street or coffee shop that youare interested in?

Thanks for the offer. I'll suppose that if sufficient street detail exists around my home then coverage is adequate... so if you were able to post or PM me a screenshot of a few blocks surrounding (lat=49.939895&lng=-97.075625) that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Springfield road

-Connecting road

-Addr: (211-457)

-Winnipeg, MB R2G

Zoomed in there is as much detail as in the US

(This is from the standalone PN-40 database on the device, which is a subset of the Topo8 derived database).

Thanks. I'm assuming you didn't attach an image that I can't see :unsure:

That looks like lots of detail.

There are street-level maps included, IIRC. The maps I referred to are topographical maps. 1:50K is apparently the highest level of detail published by your government, again similar to the USGS 1:24K Topo Quads.

To clear up misconceptions on map scales, let me add the following. The 50K Canadian TOPO are more equivalent to USGS-DMA 15 minute TOPO maps which are also @ 50K or Soviet 50K Military TOPO maps. There are basically 4 25K topo sheets to 1 50K sheet, and the 25K or 24K sheets are more detailed. You can read more here from the USGS on map scales: USGS Map Scales

Got mine from Amazon for $199.99. Should be here Dec 7. They use snail mail for their free shipping. :)

Depends on the item. We bought something a lot larger than a PN-40 the weekend before Thanksgiving, opted for the Super Saver shipping, and it arrived on the 25th via FedEx.

Got mine from Amazon for $199.99. Should be here Dec 7. They use snail mail for their free shipping. :)

Depends on the item. We bought something a lot larger than a PN-40 the weekend before Thanksgiving, opted for the Super Saver shipping, and it arrived on the 25th via FedEx.

Clarification: I ordered a PN-40 and a case. They shipped mine USPS. I've got the tracking #.

Does the PN-40 come with maps?

I know that the topo US 8.0 is included.

How about street map? Available? If yes how much does it cost.

Can I use the PN-40 for on road navigation?

Price is now $229 on the web.

If you know a better deal please post here.

Thanks

Edited by hrudu

I you know a better deal please post here.

Thanks

Greetings! My keyboard is messing up so to save me typing and aggravation I'll just provide a link. If you follow the link you will find the answer to your question. CLICK HERE :huh:

Edit to add: If it were me I'd buy at $229 rather than waiting trying to save $30 and then the price might go back up to $399 and you'd hate yourself for waiting. However, I recommended buying at $239 when this first started and then it dropped to $199 so that proves I don't know and am only giving my best guess which is not always correct. Good luck! :(

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

I you know a better deal please post here.

Thanks

Yes the PN40 comes with maps of Canada, Mexico and the U.S. The Canada and Mexico maps are only street level detail (no topo) while the U.S. has both street level and topo. You are able to use the unit for road navigation although it might take a couple of seconds longer to create a route then a dedicated car unit. I think car unit may have more POIs also.

Edit to add: If it were me I'd buy at $229 rather than waiting trying to save $30 and then the price might go back up to $399 and you'd hate yourself for waiting. However, I recommended buying at $239 when this first started and then it dropped to $199 so that proves I don't know and am only giving my best guess which is not always correct. Good luck! :huh:

Well... I ignored this advice and just ordered one for $229. As I had hoped, my ex brother in law is still maintaining a US postal address right at the border and he has plans to go there next week to pick up some of his own parcels. I talked to Caleb from Delorme and he insists that I won't have any warranty issues using this method. That was enough for me.

Good thing too... the closest unit I could find locally with those features was the Magellan Triton 500, and I bought one last night at Wal-Mart to test. It's got great paperless features but those teeny buttons are driving me crazy already. There is just no way I would use that. Too bad because otherwise it was actually pretty easy to use, if not a little slow on the redraw.

Looking forward to holding my PN-40.

I had placed an order for a PN-40 through Crutchfield for $229. Thank goodness they were backordered. When I saw that they were on sale again at Amazon for $200 (and in stock), I immediately canceled the Crutchfield order. I also picked up a 16GB memory card from Newegg for $37. Now eagerly waiting for the new GPS!

Hi, I have ordered my 1st GPS as a Christmas present from my husband to me. I ordered the PN-40 on Amazon for $199 I just hope I'm tech savvy enough to figure out how to use it!! I'm sure I'll be back on here in a few weeks looking for help. I can't wait to find my first geocache!!

Don't worry about being tech savvy. I got my new PN-40 two weeks ago and I was able to figure it out no problem. And in no way am I tech savvy! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Edited by Hildy Boys

Gotta love Amazon's pricing structure. You can buy the PN-40 for $230 or you can buy the special PN-40 geocaching bundle for $300. The bundle includes the 40, Cache Register, and an Eartha 2D geocoin. If you subtract the $10 value of Cache Register that would mean you're paying $60 for the coin :D . I had no idea how valuable that coin was that Chip gave me just for tuning in to his interview on the geocaching podcast ;) .

Yay I finally got mine yesterday. What a snap to use. I love the big rubbery buttons.

Within 15 minutes of getting home I had:

* got my first 3-D lock... took about 2 or 3 minutes

* the basemap had my street on it, although without detail

* installed the Regional Street Map for Ontario and Manitoba... and took minutes because it went on the SD card

* put the card back in and loaded it up, had a 3-D lock within seconds from inside the house.

* refreshed the caches in GSAK from my latest PQ and synced the 500+ of them in less than 1 minute.

My first activity with my PN-40 was actually to attend a christmas party where other folks with much older units were just in love with it. The first comment was "did it just get a lock that heavy inside my house?"

I can't say I know every feature but as I realize I didn't try things yet I am figuring them out pretty quickly.

Heading out for the first cache using this unit.

Like Embra I too would like to hear from a Canadian perspective if it turns out to be a good experience for you. I don't know if it's anything you're interested in, but the optional Map Library does have Canadian topo maps. I do not know if there's any other mapping features in the Map Library that would be beneficial to a Canadian user, but I'm sure others can tell you whether there is or not. Congrats on your new GPSr! :)

I'm still trying to decide whether I want the Canadian Topos. For me at the moment they would be the only thing I would want from the Map Library subscription. I'm not sure that is worth it for me at this time. However I will likely go that route just before summer when I do some camping.

As a part of my caching this afternoon I did use the routing as I drove from one cache to another and it did a very good job. That was with the Regional Street Map from DVD 4 installed. I was looking at it last night there there seemed to be lots of POI though I am not sure there were quite enough. I chose gas stations and I got a pile of 7-11 results back and there are definitely other gas stations nearby as well.

Beyond those 2 things I'm not sure whether there will really be much difference in the experience. I thought the accuracy was off but it turned out that I wasn't paying enough attention to where the start of a multi was set. I had at least one occasion where I was directly at the cache.

Unfortunately I was paying so much attention to making sure my new GPSR was in-pocket, I managed to not correctly place my Blackberry in its holster after checking the destination of a geocoin online. Luckily home was nearby because I didn't notice it was missing until that point. I was able to trace my way back and find it in the snow.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want the Canadian Topos. For me at the moment they would be the only thing I would want from the Map Library subscription. I'm not sure that is worth it for me at this time. However I will likely go that route just before summer when I do some camping.

As a part of my caching this afternoon I did use the routing as I drove from one cache to another and it did a very good job. That was with the Regional Street Map from DVD 4 installed. I was looking at it last night there there seemed to be lots of POI though I am not sure there were quite enough. I chose gas stations and I got a pile of 7-11 results back and there are definitely other gas stations nearby as well.

Beyond those 2 things I'm not sure whether there will really be much difference in the experience. I thought the accuracy was off but it turned out that I wasn't paying enough attention to where the start of a multi was set. I had at least one occasion where I was directly at the cache.

Unfortunately I was paying so much attention to making sure my new GPSR was in-pocket, I managed to not correctly place my Blackberry in its holster after checking the destination of a geocoin online. Luckily home was nearby because I didn't notice it was missing until that point. I was able to trace my way back and find it in the snow.

And here I thought blackberries could only be found during the summer months. :)

The first comment was "did it just get a lock that heavy inside my house?"

I have an issue or two with my Delorme products, but the PN's do have some good satellite ears. Here's a pic a took of a friend's PN-40 inside the industrial plant where we work. The walls are masonry and 25' high. The roof is thick fiberglass with insulation, too. We turned it on inside this building and it had the 9' accuracy lock in about 5 minutes. Thought that was cool, so I took this pic.

ReceptioninPlant.jpg