METAL DETECTORS

grammynmaggie

Since some caches are hidden in trees, I'm not sure if a metal detector would give you much advantage and would just be extra baggage.

Landowners might get the impression that you are going to go dig for something, too.

There is no rule against it, though.

I have heard of cachers bringing one to look for a cache buried in snow that they had trouble finding before.

Metal detectors I just seen this on a thread and was wondering if this is something that is an

A accepted way to hunt geocaches?

That might be handy in specific situations. Perhaps a "wand type" detector, so you can scan tree stumps or mounds of leaves, and it's easier to carry.

But there may be lots of metal other than a Geocache in an area. Worse, containers might not be made of metal, and might have no metal inside.

I was seeking a container in a swamp this morning. If I knew it was an ammo can, I might be able to find it even under a couple of feet of mud using a metal detector, once I got to the listed Coords. But if I expected to find it in a hole in a tree (for example), it's easier to just take a look in those places, moving debris as necessary.

Cool idea, though.

Edited by kunarion

Metal detectors I just seen this on a thread and was wondering if this is something that is an

Remember I am a newbe and know very little

Thanks

Blessings to all

G&M

PS Please forgive the 20 qestions

A magnetic field detector is great for finding those blinkies[nano's]

What they said.

Remember I am a newbe and know very little

Thanks

Blessings to all

G&M

PS Please forgive the 20 qestions

Welcome to the nuttery! We look forward to your posts and discussions, and are always glad to answer questions! :unsure:

Actually, I can think of one instance where I'd like to use a metal detector. When I hid CITO Depo - SE ONF, it was a 50 cal ammo can full of film cans containing CITO bags. It was nestled between two large pine trees. A fire came through, and the Forestry guys knocked over both pine trees. Now, where my cache was, is a great big pile of root ball, trunks and pine bark. I poked around as best I could, but never heard the tell tale "Thunk Thunk" of a poked ammo can. I'm thinking it's still under there. If I could use a metal detector to get close, I might be able to ferret it out.

I used mine once to find a cache. We just knew where it had to be, but could not locate it. Sure enough, it was where we thought, only it was burried under 4-5 inches of compost. I just hate those DNF's!!

We could have found it without the metal detector if we had persevered.

Buried! ACK! :)

From what I understand... caches that are buried under compost heaps are not really buried.

It's like if you placed a cache in a field and snow fell on it... you did not bury it.

Bruce.

I used mine once to find a cache. We just knew where it had to be, but could not locate it. Sure enough, it was where we thought, only it was burried under 4-5 inches of compost. I just hate those DNF's!!

Buried! ACK! :(

From what I understand... caches that are buried under compost heaps are not really buried.

It's like if you placed a cache in a field and snow fell on it... you did not bury it.

Bruce.

Right... explain to Mr. Landowner that caches are never buried, then let him read the bolded part above, see if he believes you! :huh:

I suspect a landowner would read that as buried, and not much care about "No sharp pointy object was used!"

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Bruce.

Right... explain to Mr. Landowner that caches are never buried, then let him read the bolded part above, see if he believes you! :huh:

I suspect a landowner would read that as buried, and not much care about "No sharp pointy object was used!"

I have to agree with what brslk said, based on previous forum posts. Loose material such as sand, leaves, and I presume compost (and rotting tree stump) don't count. It doesn't take a "pointy object" to cover a cache up with any of those materials. You can do it quite nicely with your bare hands.

Bruce.

I have to agree with what brslk said, based on previous forum posts. Loose material such as sand, leaves, and I presume compost (and rotting tree stump) don't count. It doesn't take a "pointy object" to cover a cache up with any of those materials. You can do it quite nicely with your bare hands.

I know that, you know that, the landowner who sees you on his property with a metal detector 'digging' (with hand or tool) for a cache 4-5 inches under the surface does not know that. What he knows is there is a geocacher digging for a buried cache on his land. He's not likely to be interested in the fine points of your "but he didn't need a shovel" argument.

The problem with metal detecters is that they do not pick up on the tupperware. I always carry GPR with the GPS just for that reason, but a portable electromagnetic subsurface imaging system might also work. The resonance that a cache creates, regardless of where it is placed, can also be measured through torsion field physics, I am told that the tuning fork in old acutron watches works well for this.

I picked up a metal detector to locate benchmarks. Since then I've used it to find a few caches that were hidden umm "outside of the box" :(

I started with a Garrett ACE 250 on a Metal Detecting forum. The owner of the forum posted asking if anyone has tried geocaching. That's how I found you good folks. After lurking for a while, I bought a 60CSx and that along with my ACE is great for benchmarking.

As they say;"the rest is history"..........now 'yer stuck with me! :);):huh:

Some parks and battlefields don't allow metal detectors to be used. I guess in parks they don't want people digging up the grass, and in battlefields they don't want people to take away artifacts. Clearly with geocaching we wouldn't be digging to find a cache, but just having a metal detector in a park that doesn't allow them would be illegal. I imagine if a park doesn't allow them there would probably be a sign.

The last time I suggested a dowsing stick I got a bunch of somewhat serious replies regarding finding water, but AFAIK no one tried to find a geocache that way yet.
Doesn't work very well for ammo boxes, but it works great for film cannisters that have been out there for a while. Must be all the water they collect.

Some parks and battlefields don't allow metal detectors to be used. I guess in parks they don't want people digging up the grass, and in battlefields they don't want people to take away artifacts. Clearly with geocaching we wouldn't be digging to find a cache, but just having a metal detector in a park that doesn't allow them would be illegal. I imagine if a park doesn't allow them there would probably be a sign.

steve p is right.

However, experienced MD users don't actually dig holes. We dig plugs, examine them, and CAREFULLY replace them, not unlike replacing a divot. You would be hard put to find evidence where an experienced MD'er has been "swinging."