35mm Film Canisters Up or Down ?

Most cachers place the pots lid up, but is this really the best way to keep the log book dry ?

Having come across a number of damp logs in the last few days and wishing to place one myself in an potentially wet place what are your thoughts ?

24789PHTO0169.JPG

:D

[edited for being a doofus]

Edited by DigitalJim

Most cachers place the pots lid up, but is this really the best way to keep the log book dry ?

Having come across a number of damp logs in the last few days and wishing to place one myself in an potentially wet place what are your thoughts ?

No matter which way you place it you've got no control over how finders replace it :D.

def use something else - Andy, I can provide you with some excellent film pot sized containers with watertight screw top lids - just say the word! I'll try and return your 'non-cache' box as well!

But are they the same diameter as the film pots ?

If they are the 'medical sample' pots they are too narrow, especially when trying to remove logs in cold weather with cold fingers !

Re : the spare box [from an illicit physical cache for those who wish to know] Merstham Maffia say they wish to use it on a forthcoming 5/5 which I eagerly await !!!

By the way have you logged your recent escapade I set yet ?

def use something else - Andy, I can provide you with some excellent film pot sized containers with watertight screw top lids - just say the word! I'll try and return your 'non-cache' box as well!

But are they the same diameter as the film pots ?

If they are the 'medical sample' pots they are too narrow, especially when trying to remove logs in cold weather with cold fingers !

Re : the spare box [from an illicit physical cache for those who wish to know] Merstham Maffia say they wish to use it on a forthcoming 5/5 which I eagerly await !!!

By the way have you logged your recent escapade I set yet ?

i thought they were about the same diameter - give or take a few mm. I've got plenty, so I'll get some to you somehow for evaluation!

MM and us are planning a number of 5/5 caches, hunting down suitable containers at the moment! Will be logging your latest as soon as I've caught up with a few other logs first - maybe tonight!

It's a good theory, but aren't they meant to be sealed properly for their intended purpose?

No. If they were, there would be a tiny gasket in the lid, at least of the Kodak model (where the cap goes "outside").

The main purpose is to provide a small amount of mechanical protection for the cartridge. It isn't even to keep light out; otherwise the Fuji ones (where the cap goes "inside") wouldn't be translucent.

FWIW, I find that the Fuji ones stay dry much better than the Kodak ones, although I'd expect the opposite from looking at them from the side on. And that's without doing clever stuff like putting them upside-down, in which case I'd expect Fuji's advantage to be larger (no "saucer").

Edited by sTeamTraen

An interesting topic - and having found hundreds of these things over the years IMHO I feel it does come down to a small number of factors :laughing:

1) size of log inside - I have come across many which are just a little too big making the replacing the lid a challenge in itself and invariably not enough to prevent water getting in :huh:

2) this is mentioned before - relying on finders actually taking those few extra seconds to make sure the lids are replaced completely and not just slapped on resulting in the same 'water getting in easily' issue. :blink:

3) using the 'lid outside version' as these do tend to offer a little more 'seal' though reliant on 1) and 2) above. :blink:

Though as anumber have already indicated there does seem to be a few more suited alternatives out there if you are willing to fork out for them - the one factor in using the film canisters is that they are free (well all the ones I have, I obtained from a local photo shop owner who was happy to pass them over) :o

We always used to use pill containers from the pharmacist on Dartmoor for letterboxing, one inside the other and it kept the log books bone dry, no mean feat there and most of them were buried in peat banks.

Pop to your local Boots and they will give you a load free.

But, if it's used as a cache, you have to take a child with you, to open the child-proof tops! :P

We always used to use pill containers from the pharmacist on Dartmoor for letterboxing, one inside the other and it kept the log books bone dry, no mean feat there and most of them were buried in peat banks.

Pop to your local Boots and they will give you a load free.

Ah you get them from Boots - I used to think all Letterboxers were seriously ill people.... getting their medication in such huge quantities..