Pirates

cheboludo

I live in Mallorca and am new to GeoCaching - however I have now got bitten.

I am a little disappointed to observe however that nearly every Cache that I find here just contains a plethora of junk and worthless items. Judging by the list of start items that some cachers publish, the contents have been steadily depleted. This is borne out by more experienced cacher friends of mine who tell me that within 4 or 5 finds - everything in their caches is taken and replaced by used bus tickets, balloons, hair-grips, Ikea pencils, etc.

Yes, I know that the object of GeoCaching is the enjoyment of looking for the cache - not the "treasure" within the cache - however what disturbs and disappoints me is that GeoCachers here are simply not observing the GeoCaching code of replace with like or greater value. I have declined to take anything from any of the caches I have found, but in many instances have left an item or two. My friends now refuse to leave cache boxes and simply leave micros - it would be a shame if the whole thing was relegated to this level.

Is this a common problem in other areas?

I am a little disappointed to observe however that nearly every Cache that I find here just contains a plethora of junk and worthless items. Judging by the list of start items that some cachers publish, the contents have been steadily depleted. This is borne out by more experienced cacher friends of mine who tell me that within 4 or 5 finds - everything in their caches is taken and replaced by used bus tickets, balloons, hair-grips, Ikea pencils, etc.

Yes, I know that the object of GeoCaching is the enjoyment of looking for the cache - not the "treasure" within the cache - however what disturbs and disappoints me is that GeoCachers here are simply not observing the GeoCaching code of replace with like or greater value. I have declined to take anything from any of the caches I have found, but in many instances have left an item or two. My friends now refuse to leave cache boxes and simply leave micros - it would be a shame if the whole thing was relegated to this level.

Highlighted area is called cache degradation and is nearly inevitable, although your case seems a bit extreme if it has all occurred within 4 - 5 visits.

EDIT: Some view things as balloons, hair-grips and the like as "even trade" items, even though they aren't truly equal in the terms of monetary value, the used bus tickets, well........ what could I say?

I would more suspect that the cache is being muggled by a nearby resident that accidentally found it and views it as their own personal "treasure trove". :D

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Generally, from what I have seen. This is the normal, with a few exceptions. I only have a couple hides but I always stock them with good swag to start off. Finding good swag isn't important to me. Just the thrill of the hunt. And if I do trade swan I always trade up, usually I'm trading up a couple notches.

I think it's a problem everywhere.

I don't really care about swag too much, but I understand it's fun for the kids... so I try to leave a one or two things without trading.

Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi

this problem does not really affect me. I always leave something but only take something when my grandkids are with me or if there is a TB. I always leave a marble or two and I have red post on this board by some that consider marbles junk but to me as an avid collector they are great items to leave. go figure.

Unfortunately that's a reflection of human nature. I wish you luck changing that!

I fought this battle for years by putting out caches containing nice swag, and made a point to always leave something nice even if I didn't trade. I had 2500 geocoins made at $8 to $12 apiece and gave most of them away in caches... and found that it made no difference whatsoever, folks would take an expensive fishing reel and leave a plastic toy soldier.

I still hide caches, but I now put only $1 to $5 items in them. I quit spending money on coins to give away and pretty much quit trading.

And you know what? I enjoy the game as much as ever - nay, more, because it no longer costs me a fortune to enjoy the game! :D

98% of the time I leave a brand new item that I put in a plastic bag. Most of the time the value ranges from $0.25 up to $2.00 but that is the price range (or less) that we take. However there are times we have left things worth $4.00 to $5.00. If I see something that I really like and don't have something of equal or greater value I try to leave as many items as needed to balance it out. We also state in our logs what we took and what we left. That way when the next person sees that new little something in a plastic bag instead of garbage, they'll know it was from us.

As a cache hider (on our team account), I feel that the cache swag quality ultimately falls on my/our shoulders. So a couple of times a year I clean out and replenish our caches with new items.

I also notice that items that have been in the box for a couple of months degrade - items looked clean, shiny and new when they went in but after a few months get dirty, rusty, and sometimes moldy depending on conditions. Being a cache hider requires a level of commitment and investment when it comes to maintaining quality.

I'm new this Geocaching, but have placed 14 caches so far. My ammo can caches are stocked with 3-5 items from the dollar store. I try and put in something that would appeal to each age/gender group. I have only found 27 caches so far, but have never seen anything in a cache I would say is worth $1. Looks like trash to me. I carry scratch off lottery tickets with me and uncirculated gold dollar coins to place in caches I find. I would like to find that in a cache, so figure others would too.

This is just my generalized observations, and in no way should be considered "the norm":

Caches with swag that take very little effort to reach and find will suffer swag degradation faster than those that take considerable effort to reach and find. My own caches demonstrate this quite effectively. This is why I no longer hide park & grabs. It's almost as if those folks who spend a day nabbing a few dozen park & grabs are more willing to trade down than those folks who spend all day just to get to one cache.

This is just my generalized observations, and in no way should be considered "the norm":

Caches with swag that take very little effort to reach and find will suffer swag degradation faster than those that take considerable effort to reach and find. My own caches demonstrate this quite effectively. This is why I no longer hide park & grabs. It's almost as if those folks who spend a day nabbing a few dozen park & grabs are more willing to trade down than those folks who spend all day just to get to one cache.

I believe this to be true. Don't ask me why, and I hate broad generalizations, but when effort is required to get to the cache it appears to be better treated. That's certainly true with my caches... the remote and rural are far better stocked and treated than the easy and urban.

As anecdotal evidence my Gone Campin' cache that's been out for five years at my lake property takes several hours to get to from any sizable city, you have to navigate miles of twisty dirt roads, and always has the best swag that cachers have left of any of my caches!

Well, I very rarely take anything, but often leave a PEZ dispenser, or key chain, or small Tupperware salt/pepper shaker.

Here is my take on this. When I cache with the kids, they always want to take all the cool stuff. It is hard to keep the 'even/up' rule. I always do, but sometimes it results is dissapointed/angry children. I can see how parents with a more loose parenting style would let the kids ravage the swag. And lets face it, parents Usualy don't bring the munchkins searching for the 4.5/3 caches.

I think it's a problem everywhere.

I don't really care about swag too much, but I understand it's fun for the kids... so I try to leave a one or two things without trading.

Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi

That is so sweet :unsure:

When I was explaining our new found love of geocaching to my son visiting us from another part of the country, I explained the rule about always trading for equal or greater value. His response, was "wow, I can't wait to see what's in those things in a few years".

Sadly, I had to explain the truth, that our hobby is not so pure.

When I was explaining our new found love of geocaching to my son visiting us from another part of the country, I explained the rule about always trading for equal or greater value. His response, was "wow, I can't wait to see what's in those things in a few years".

Sadly, I had to explain the truth, that our hobby is not so pure.

Hahaha! Too funny (and sadly, too true)!! :unsure::unsure:

I am a little disappointed to observe however that nearly every Cache that I find here just contains a plethora of junk and worthless items.

At least you're finding the caches, even if they don't contain much of interest. I was just in Mallorca for 1 day and of 2 possible finds in the time allowed, one was a DNF (GC1FZ6T) -- but it was still fun to meet other cachers from Germany at the site!

Yes, the lack of even trades is a problem in most areas, and only seems to be less so in truly remote spots. Those of us who find this a problem can only reverse it in small ways by being sure we're not "trading down". I nearly never take anything anyway (except when caching with my grandson) and have even taught him that we must always leave something at least as good in return... so he always checks my swag before we leave so he knows what we've got for trading material.